Gatecrash Booster Packages

Does it seem weird to anyone else that all of the booster packs represent a specific guildmage, EXCEPT Simic?

Is wizards trying to tell us something?

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1137
    What do you mean? Aren't they Dimir, Gruul, Simic, Orzhov, Boros, in that order. We've already been told simic has merfolk
    Quote from psymunn
    What do you mean? Aren't they Dimir, Gruul, Simic, Orzhov, Boros, in that order. We've already been told simic has merfolk

isn't the simic merfolk their guild master?

i don't think it means anything, to be honest...
    Who cares if its good in EDH or Limited? 95% of cards are.

Drinking game idea: when someone blindly agrees on blogatog no matter how erroneous or short-sighted maro's reply is
    Well the simic themed pack has a picture of speaker zegna, but I seriously doubt that there's any significance to this. If simic turns out to be extremely powerful then I would probably still consider it coincidence. Wotc normally doesn't know exactly what is going to become powerful in any given format except with obviously op cards, like snapcaster Mage.

Thanks to Heroes of the Plane Studios for the awesome sig!
    Commander:
    UW Isperia, Supreme Judge WU
    URB Thraximundar BRU

Currently Building:
    UBLazav, Dimir MastermindBU
    Same thing with how Niv-Mizzet gets his picture on a booster pack? thats weird really.
    Standard:
    WR We Are Boros RW

kwis on fun decks:
    Quote from kwis
    I personally prefer 75 islands. There is nothing than the look on your opponents face once they start trying to play around your counter magic and you know you're sitting on a deck full of islands and nothing else.

It also allows you to board in 15 cards and completely mess with their head between the boarded games.
    They did it with Niv-Mizzet instead of the guildmage for RTR. It's just the guilds players really like.
    It's probably just that the art on the new Simic (Novijen?) Guildmage doesn't look that good when cropped and placed on a booster pack.
    Last edited by Paddymew: 1/1/2013 2:38:01 PM
    Sol Ring goes in where?

Quote from Memnarch »
    Infraction issued for mutilating the English language.
    Quote from Bash.org »
    <Dr_DOS> Tupac Shakur sounds like a Protoss name.

Quote from heroicraptor
    Forest is not a color.
    Quote from vezokpiraka
    We tried to teach an emo girl to play and she goblins from lorwyn and other red and ugly things.

Quote from Morphling
    wtf is a giant MANTIS doing there and why is he upside down, apparently falling out the mothership from Independence day?

I do think Simic is, flavourfully, the most popular guild of GTC. Izzet held the same title for RTR.

Niv-MIzzet has this arrogance to keep his guild mages off the packaging. I didnt know Zegana did the same thing. Maybe they can try dating.
    Quote from Verox Kinaltor
    Found out why Mogis has sided with Xenagos guys!

He was in the band playing at the party
    :D:D:D:D
    Zegana VS Niv in the last set. you heard it here first.
    The 5 stage of grief: how Spikes reacted to Sylvan Primordial ban:
    - Denial
    Quote from Wonderland
    As of Feb 03, 2014 Sylvan Primordial isn't banned as per WOTC rulings.

- Anger
    Quote from DCDT-Dito
    our group as decided to avoid most of the ban because whe believe that the edh banlist commitee might be a bunch of monkey that only listen to player complaint instead of actual card power.

- Bargaining
    Quote from DokuDokuH
    I guess I was one of like 3 people who didn't use sypri in a degenerate way? Anyways, for animar (the only deck that ran him), I'm giving people a choice - I can either keep playing him, OR I can swap him out for Palinchron and go infinite, their choice.

- Depression
    Quote from Voxxen
    This ban has me feeling ornery and antisocial.
    Food Chain into Prossh.
    Erayo into Edric.
    Sadness into "New to EDH? Here have a deck to play. Keep it."

- Acceptance
    Nope, Spikes will not reach this stage, they are too mature for that. Instead, they will still complain one year from now, like what they are doing with Primeval Titan!
    -signature sponsorized by "Competitive players are always mature and they adapt, casual players are just noob whiny children"™-
    Niv versus Jarad I would guess
    Quote from mozerdozer
    They did it with Niv-Mizzet instead of the guildmage for RTR. It's just the guilds players really like.

Disagree. I think he's onto something. Niv-Mizzet is by far the most important dude in RTR. Although we don't know the details, he's clearly directing the major activity on Ravnica. Perhaps Zegana or the merfolk are instrumental in the storyline? But how?
    Check out some good music!
    Quote from jonnybgood23
    Disagree. I think he's onto something. Niv-Mizzet is by far the most important dude in RTR. Although we don't know the details, he's clearly directing the major activity on Ravnica. Perhaps Zegana or the merfolk are instrumental in the storyline? But how?

Cuz the whole world didn't know they even existed until 10-20 years ago?
    Quote from jedimindtricks

Now, if we could just get that goblin walker. Preferably before the part in the storyline where he planeswalked right into Progenitus.

On the Subject of Master Biomancer:
    Quote from Lully
    That mythic is very mythic. Pillarfield ox has returned with a vengeance.

Many thanks to DNC at Heroes of the Plane Studios
    Quote from jonnybgood23

You only think that because it's what Lazav wants people to think.
    He's even gone so far as to name the final set "Dragon's Maze" in order to steal attention away from what he's planning. IN THE SECRET FOURTH SET
    Sol Ring goes in where?

Quote from Memnarch »
    Infraction issued for mutilating the English language.
    Quote from Bash.org »
    <Dr_DOS> Tupac Shakur sounds like a Protoss name.

Quote from heroicraptor
    Forest is not a color.
    Quote from vezokpiraka
    We tried to teach an emo girl to play and she goblins from lorwyn and other red and ugly things.

Quote from Morphling
    wtf is a giant MANTIS doing there and why is he upside down, apparently falling out the mothership from Independence day?

Quote from novisk58
    Well the simic themed pack has a picture of speaker zegna, but I seriously doubt that there's any significance to this. If simic turns out to be extremely powerful then I would probably still consider it coincidence. Wotc normally doesn't know exactly what is going to become powerful in any given format except with obviously op cards, like snapcaster Mage.

My assumption is that the art was hard to crop. Chase Stone loves to abuse the use of light and shadows in his arts. And, my guess, this is why our little friend Zameck Guildmage won't figure out on boosters. Not that I should complain of, because, the same way that Chase designed that mage in an awesome way, so did Murai with Zegana.

(Give your LGS judge a hug. He deserves it.)

Nothing. All I want is Heroes vs. Monsters spoilers.
    i totally love the color of the display the red. I like the Color Shemes of Boosters latley. Grin
    “Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as it has this past Age, full of its own comings and goings, scarcely aware of the existence of Hobbits, for which I am very thankful.”
    – Gandalf
    I believe the reason behind these decisions is that they pick out the particular guild whose guild leader will have/has had a significant impact on the story since last time around. Niv-Mizzet is plotting an entire expansion on his own, it seems, and Zegana came around and re-established the Simic guild in its entirety.

The awesome-est MTG webcomic out there. Go check it out!
    RTR product is blue, GTC product is red, and then there is Dragon's Maze, which has all builds and is probably about Niv. any chance DGM product will be red/blue? :p
    Quote from jonnybgood23

Man I hope you're right. If the nature of the Simic's scheme last time around is any indicator this one will be a doozy. I'm sorta hoping the referred to 'gatecrash' is an attempt by the simic to open a planar portal to a world of pure water and flood Ravnica. Even plays on the meaning of gate-crash.

But if wishes were horses I'd be a rich rancher.
    There's always B in the banana stand.
    They did this with Izzet in RTR. It may be isolating a guild that will play a big role in the storyline.

Sig by the amazing Rivenor
    Avatar by the one and only DOLZero

What you are about to read the absolute truth about the deck that once nearly killed WotC's revenue.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DallasM
    Caw Blade is based on the ancient powerful strategy of equipping Storm Crow with Worldslayer, blowing everything up, punching your opponent in the face, stealing his cards, and running away. This new deck is a mere shell of the original caw blade's power.
    Quote from Blood Pet
    Man I hope you're right. If the nature of the Simic's scheme last time around is any indicator this one will be a doozy. I'm sorta hoping the referred to 'gatecrash' is an attempt by the simic to open a planar portal to a world of pure water and flood Ravnica. Even plays on the meaning of gate-crash.

But if wishes were horses I'd be a rich rancher.

Or it could be that the Gates are the gateways to the guilds, and the faction known as the Gateless(read, "guildless") are fed up with being looked down on and lorded over and are crashing the party in a riot?
    Quote from jedimindtricks

Now, if we could just get that goblin walker. Preferably before the part in the storyline where he planeswalked right into Progenitus.

On the Subject of Master Biomancer:
    Quote from Lully
    That mythic is very mythic. Pillarfield ox has returned with a vengeance.

Many thanks to DNC at Heroes of the Plane Studios
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes