12/26 Mothership Holiday Preview: Firemane Avenger

Preview from mothership will be posted here.
    ATTACHMENTS
    • fa_xlth8759v5_01
    Last edited by Sabett: 12/25/2012 11:02:03 PM
    meh.
    good for tokens.
    Pretty much Odrics ability.

Big thanks to Rivenor for the sig!!
    A free lightning helix seems potent every attack step. Surefire beast in limited, not too sure about constructed, I doubt it will make a splash, but only time will tell
    Quote from Konstant1n
    I was wondering why Council of the Absolute had the 'non-creature' clause then I remembered... This is modern magic.

Message me if your interested in sharing mtgo cards

Currently Playing:
    In Limbo
    Odric's ability keyworded with -1 attacker. Helix Angel will at least make some people drool.
    Well, at least it's pretty obvious what this ability word means: "Whenever this and two or more creatures you control attack, do SOMETHING". I doubt its variable and definitely cements boros as the aggro colours in GTC.
    If you're having creature problems I feel bad for you son
    You got 99 attackers but I'm blocking with 1.

The Winner is Judge | 7
    This Winner is Also Judge | 6
    Club Flamingo | Lots

Just had a Borosgasm. I. Love. This. Card.
    Seems like quite a good ability. I feel it could get out of hand especially if this is the top end of the curve for the boros deck because it helps push through mid to late game. Will have to see further to decide its strength.

Thanks to Rivenor for the awesome Signature!

Trades
    "You'll Never Walk Alone"
    Hmm I wonder if the attacking helix is just for the Angel of if all creatures with Battalion will do the same.
    DimirWhispering Dimir ThievesDimir

:golgari::boros::rakdos::orzhov::izzet::simic::selesnya::azorius::dimir::gruul:
    So in Boros, everybody's a mini-Odric, Master Tactician? Cool beans.
    Was really hoping to see Dimir's ability today. Saving the best for last I suppose.

Also where exactly are these being spoiled? I checked the Daily MTG but none of today's articles have them.
    DCI Rules Advisor
    "Do you have the courage to ride with the devil?"

"Knowledge is such a burden. Release it. Release all your fears to me."
    Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

EDH
    blue manaGrimgrin, Corpse-Born (Competitive, UB Combo/Reanimator)black mana(RETIRED)
    DimirLazav, Dimir Mastermind (Competitive, UB Voltron/Control)Dimir
    GSaffi Eriksdotter (Casual, GW ETB/Combo)W

Legacy
    WUManalessBDredgeRG

Mountains tap for red. Islands tap for blue. Comboing out is sweet, especially against you.
    Hmm. It's... alright? Not crazy about it. Wanted to see the Orzhov mechanic :/
    U Thassa Control U
    GWB Junk Stax Ghave BWG
    Where exactly do these previews get posted anyways?
    Avid EDH player
    GWUPhelddagrif----------------GWRhys, the Redeemed----------UBRLord of Tresserhorn--------XKozilek, Butcher of Truth
    WUBRGProgenitus---------------BGWKarador, Ghost Chieftain---URGIntet, the Dreamer---------RGWort, the Raidmother
    BGSavra-----------------------RGMarhault Elsdragon----------UTeferi, Mage of Zhalfir------UWHanna, Ship's Navigator
    BSkithiryx the Blight Dragon--RWUZedruu the Greathearted----BRelentless Rats------------BRUNicol Bolas

Dat attack trigger. Kaalia says nope. Battalion is nice because there are a bunch of things that can be done. Like here's our lighning helix (QQ). Overall the ability is not really an ability. It's just a bonus for attacking. Odric secretly has this ability.
    Baneslayer Angel- Pro Demons and Dragons

Malfegor- Demon Dragon: only creature in the history of magic that is both of Baneslayer's protections. Can kill Baneslayer.

Win
    If that would be the card everyone can use for limited if they pick Boros, I am 99% sure I'd play Boros at the prerelease.
    Lightning Helix on a stick, nuff said

Boros tokens yay!
    "If we don't know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions!"
    -Anonymous
    Official DCI Rules Advisor
    Main EDH
    B Mikaeus' Zombie Menace
    Modern
    W Soul Sisters
    I just want to point out something to people who doubt the power of Squadron Hawk in Modern. I won game one against R/G Tron, off of a Mull to 5, because of Squadron Hawk.

Called Boros! Tomorrow is going to be Orzhov then Dimir. Sig it for proof!

Also Battalion seems very open ended design wise. I could see it on enchantments, where it says 'When two creatures attack' yadda yadda, I just hope it isn't like metalcraft because where getting 3 artifacts into play at the same time was format limiting to the point that Mox Opal was only playable in Tempered Steel.dec I could just imagine the frustrations for players who finally get their 3 creatures set and ready only to have someone say "Before you declare attacks, Ultimate Price/Selesnya Charm/Searing Spear/Spot Removal your other creature to nuke your battalion bonus"

I don't know, but given the fact it takes 3 pieces to go online, and it doesn't have haste, and its cmc is 4 where an environment where sweeps will be a plenty, and in colors (not black) where playing Supreme Verdict is very scary.. I just don't see this card being standard playable. Even though the ability is AMAZING. I just think that Battalion makes players overextend in a format where playing aggro is about playing the right threats and applying the right pressure.

In sideboard? Probably. 3 toughness makes it a little easy to kill but that 3 damage to a creature, nuking a blocker, gaining life for the race and swinging sounds good. I mean I could see it blowing out a Thragtusk on Turn 5 but I think the control player that sees that thing land is either going to have an answer for it or be dead without her on board anyways. Just seems like a win moar card.

Which is a shame. I really love Lightning Helix. How about just giving us the card instead of sticking it on freaking EVERYTHING. AjaniFireliegefromShadowmooretc.
    Last edited by RCarlysle: 12/25/2012 11:11:24 PM
    Check out RobbieCarlysle.Com for my Comedy!

...I think I'm funny.
    Battalion sucks in constructed, sadly. It's a win more ability in the land of Supreme Verdict.
    Hm, so the aggro guild is going to have built in reach? This seems good to me. This card looks okay, I wish it were a 4/4 but I really like the mechanic. Good curve topper type stuff here.
    Currently Playing ~ RWG Naya Control GWR

Disclaimer: Unless I state otherwise, I'm referring to standard.
    Me gusta, I want pick one in my pre release
    Quote from NGW
    Was really hoping to see Dimir's ability today. Saving the best for last I suppose.

Also where exactly are these being spoiled? I checked the Daily MTG but none of today's articles have them.

When you go on Daily MTG, click that little present on the side of one of the articles then it will reveal the card
    Looks pretty good, and the key word is definitely better. Looks like tomorrow we'll get the Orhov keyword and then the Dimir one after that.
    Now if there was only some way to give your creatures haste continuously...
    Disappointed with the Boros mechanic. I feel that is just so narrow.

In other news, now we know how Aurelia synergizes with her guild mechanic.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
    - H. L. Mencken

French Duel Commander

WBR Kaalia of the Vast WBR
    RUG Maelstrom Wanderer RUG
    Quote from tomthumb
    Battalion sucks in constructed, sadly. It's a win more ability in the land of Supreme Verdict.

Let's hope there's something that can facilitate easy Battalion triggers.
    Quote from Guesswork
    So, you're a jellybean connoisseur.

Boy, do you love jellybeans! More importantly, you love good jellybeans, meaning root beer flavored jellybeans. Because those are the good ones, and the other ones are bad.

Quote continued here.
    Quote from inked
    If that would be the card everyone can use for limited if they pick Boros, I am 99% sure I'd play Boros at the prerelease.

It doesn't seem THAT great for Limited. I think I'd rather have a Skymark Roc.

Practice for Vintage Masters Limited:
    Draft: (#1) (#2) (#3) (#4)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes