12/27 Mothership Holiday Preview: Treasury Thrull

I like the guild mechanic, dislike the creature it is attached to for the reasons mentioned many times previously. Re: 4/4 for 6 mana, multicoloured cost requirement even, is pretty underwhelming. Having to attack to get any extra benefit outside of the guild mechanic is even more underwhelming though it can loop with another copy of itself to be an expensive nuisance.
    Quote from JiffyWartbustle
    I like the guild mechanic, dislike the creature it is attached to for the reasons mentioned many times previously. Re: 4/4 for 6 mana, multicoloured cost requirement even, is pretty underwhelming. Having to attack to get any extra benefit outside of the guild mechanic is even more underwhelming though it can loop with another copy of itself to be an expensive nuisance.

Titans were ridiculous strong, so they move back, make big stuff "less" annoying broken.

If your 6 drop is so powerfull that ramping in it is a game plan by itself, is kind of boring, and i really did not enjoy that format with titans, everything had to compete against titans or it was "unplayable".

6 mana 4/4 is not a big problem by itself, and the mechanic has much card advantage, which is also great.

the card is still not good for constructed, which is so much aggro right now (or a ton of mass removal and ramp into big, be it by reanimation or ramping mana).

T2 is fun, has many different decks, but in general its to build decks that survive aggro, and then finish big.

Might be nice to see a different thing.
    111111111² = 12345678987654321
    I'm just underwhelmed by extort in general. Will play like a tack-on ability for spells you cast, but it requires a low curve and is not a reliable repeatable mana-sink, as it is a 'whenever' ability.

Prospective commander implications are better simply because it drains EACH opponent so you gain more life overall, but incidental life gain is cute in cmdr but not a viable win condition in the least.
    I once met a man from Seattle
    When posting he never did prattle
    He was quite a nice bloke
    Always quick with a joke
    With Magic Cards, he always did battle.
    Quote from Sojourner
    I'm just underwhelmed by extort in general. Will play like a tack-on ability for spells you cast, but it requires a low curve and is not a reliable repeatable mana-sink, as it is a 'whenever' ability.

Prospective commander implications are better simply because it drains EACH opponent so you gain more life overall, but incidental life gain is cute in cmdr but not a viable win condition in the least.

I agree completely with you, Extort is a pretty decent mechanic (good in-fact, but that´s my EDH's player part talking).

We already have creatures that make the same with a more strict condition but without any cost (Blood Artist; Falkenrath Noble) and well we can't say that they are bad/useless, and Extort even gives a choice and that's important.

It's not a win condition, but will help to win games...It's different and that is what it is fun in it.
    Really BIG fan of oozes, slimes and everything nice. XD
    I was hoping for something a little less black and white (no pun intended) for Orzhov. Haunt may have been a mechanic that made people hate using their brain for, but it had interesting potential if it was given more practical spells. Extort does not seem very imagined to me. I'm bleeding you. Cool. It's not like the Orzhov didn't have enough cards to establish that theme already without it being a keyword. I would have rather had them expand on the concept of collecting debts as a mechanic in some other way. I understand Extort has implications outside of the typical forms of bleeding but it's just not very inventive to me.
    When you lose to back-to-back Banefires in limited, only to learn they were both passed to the opponent during the draft, you begin to question the stability of your playgroup.

I may be a fan and I may be a boy, but I am by no means a "fanboy."
    Yeah, I guess I can't readily imagine too many interesting places they could go with this mechanic, it just seems piecemeal. I probably just wanted something splashier than haunt. Time and spoilers will tell, I guess.
    I once met a man from Seattle
    When posting he never did prattle
    He was quite a nice bloke
    Always quick with a joke
    With Magic Cards, he always did battle.
    I think once Extort ends up on some more control-oriented cards, (big defenders, Pacifism-style Auras) people will start seeing things the Orzhov way.

Real Men Play Aggro

EDH:

R Heartless Hidetsugu
    R Godo, Bandit Warlord
    G Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
    B Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker
    RG Thromok the Insatiable
    WUBRG Scion of the Ur-Dragon
    What if they make a Mythic that makes it so whenever you cast a spell you can extort for each permanent with extort you control O.O....Mind=Blown.
    Quote from jedimindtricks

Now, if we could just get that goblin walker. Preferably before the part in the storyline where he planeswalked right into Progenitus.

On the Subject of Master Biomancer:
    Quote from Lully
    That mythic is very mythic. Pillarfield ox has returned with a vengeance.

Many thanks to DNC at Heroes of the Plane Studios
    Quote from KolbaneX
    What if they make a Mythic that makes it so whenever you cast a spell you can extort for each permanent with extort you control O.O....Mind=Blown.

sort of like a Sublime Archangel extortionist?
    Quote from Spazik008
    sort of like a Sublime Archangel extortionist?

"You may pay 0 instead of W/B whenever you extort."

It would also need a sublime archangelesk body underneath to be worth it.
    Baneslayer Angel- Pro Demons and Dragons

Malfegor- Demon Dragon: only creature in the history of magic that is both of Baneslayer's protections. Can kill Baneslayer.

Win
    Extort looks promising and though this card isn't exactly 'standard material', it looks pretty nice, too.

That said, I want to see 'Extort' on a mono-black zombie with cmc 2! :p

Archangel Indebtor

Flying
    Each of your creatures has extort.
    4/3

Spazik, what you're suggesting is sick.
    WB Pseudo Aggro?
    Quote from Wolfman
    I think once Extort ends up on some more control-oriented cards, (big defenders, Pacifism-style Auras) people will start seeing things the Orzhov way.

Say 4 mana to get 1/2 the lifegain of a Faith's Fetters and only able to target creatures? Not excited.

But in Limited, at least it would be better than Arrest. Yay Limited for making us welcome unexciting cards.

It would be nice to get a couple other Modern playables out of this set. But 1 mana for 1 life drain just doesn't get there.
    Quote from Spaltenhauer
    Extort looks promising and though this card isn't exactly 'standard material', it looks pretty nice, too.

Spazik, what you're suggesting is sick.
    WB Pseudo Aggro?

But...but...I thought of it first Q.Q
    Quote from jedimindtricks

Now, if we could just get that goblin walker. Preferably before the part in the storyline where he planeswalked right into Progenitus.

On the Subject of Master Biomancer:
    Quote from Lully
    That mythic is very mythic. Pillarfield ox has returned with a vengeance.

Many thanks to DNC at Heroes of the Plane Studios
    Quote from Justice1337

It would be nice to get a couple other Modern playables out of this set. But 1 mana for 1 life drain just doesn't get there.

While this card obviously isn't constructed playable, that doesn't mean the mechanic as a whole is. You're evaluating it incorrectly, instead of looking it as "1 mana for 1 life drain" look at it as "1 life drain (2-point life swing) for mana you weren't using anyway, repeated many times throughout the game"

Quite often in control decks which necessarily have tons of mana, you end up having more mana than you need in the mid-late game. That means any playable enchantment with extort is giving you free drains in the mid-to-late game which easily add up to a significant effect after just a few drains.

This mechanic is similar to others in the past that don't look impressive at first blush to most players (because it's "just" 1 life) but will end up being quite a bit more powerful than people expect, due to the incremented advantage you build up over multiple turns that can sway the momentum of a game heavily in your favor.
    Quote from Spaltenhauer

Me too. I want to drain one everytime i cast gravecrawler!
    I do not recommend Carta Magica in Montreal, Qc, Ca

Modern: GRBW assault loam, WBR Slayers, WGR landfall zoo, UG graft/proliferate/evolve/bloodthirst, UB bolas tezz
    Quote from Zorn
    I was hoping for something a little less black and white (no pun intended) for Orzhov. Haunt may have been a mechanic that made people hate using their brain for, but it had interesting potential if it was given more practical spells. Extort does not seem very imagined to me. I'm bleeding you. Cool. It's not like the Orzhov didn't have enough cards to establish that theme already without it being a keyword. I would have rather had them expand on the concept of collecting debts as a mechanic in some other way. I understand Extort has implications outside of the typical forms of bleeding but it's just not very inventive to me.

Here's the thing, Orzhov did have plenty of bleed effects the first time around but now that it's a mechanic it frees up room for more interesting/unique effects on the cards. Extort is secondary to other effects, and builds up as the game progresses.

Im a big fan... Draining with think twice at your opponent's EOT seems rediculous.
    its not a play guys and turn them sideways mechanic so most magic players arnt going to like extort.
    Well I, for one, want to rush it WBG with cheap extort creatures and mana dorks (Birds of Paradise, Elves of Deep Shadow; Noble Hierarch. Whether you kill them with the extort or the sheer weenie rush, you'll have the life to sit on incase things go horribly wrong. Either way, I think it will end up being a far faster mechanic than currently speculated.
    It just depends on the number of playable cards with Extort. If you can set Extort to 3-4 and we get good instants (removal, counterspells), it's gonna be an awesome mechanic for Control (Esper, probably).
    Quote from Derenathor
    Here's the thing, Orzhov did have plenty of bleed effects the first time around but now that it's a mechanic it frees up room for more interesting/unique effects on the cards. Extort is secondary to other effects, and builds up as the game progresses.

Im a big fan... Draining with think twice at your opponent's EOT seems rediculous.

This is a great point. Perhaps with a keyword we won't have any other slow life gain. Thus opening w/b piece of the guild pie.
    I think it's exactly the point of Extort. I prefer having good Orzhov cards and Extort cards than overcosted spells because they do X + drain.
    Hm, that's a good point. Though I never agreed with the bleeding effect being so overcosted on its own, with R&D's approach to card design now, it can be better synergized with spells as a mechanic (i.e. "Whenever you extort/whenever you gain life/whenever an opponent loses life, then...").

Unless of course they decide to just arbitrarily thumbtack it onto a range of converted mana costed spells just to cover their bases. That would be annoying to say the least.
    When you lose to back-to-back Banefires in limited, only to learn they were both passed to the opponent during the draft, you begin to question the stability of your playgroup.

i think we as players read a bit too much into mechanics now and days.

now granted that rakdos is the worst mechanic i've ever seen, i dont think mechanics are supposed to define anything anymore.
    That's supposed to be the thing about the ravnica sets- The mechanics are thematically defining to the colours in their respective guild. It just gives them a little more character as opposed to say shadow, or trample, which are not necessarily colour restricted but thematically chosen to be.

Quote from Zorn
    That's supposed to be the thing about the ravnica sets- The mechanics are thematically defining to the colours in their respective guild. It just gives them a little more character as opposed to say shadow, or trample, which are not necessarily colour restricted but thematically chosen to be.

i think its more on the lines of "simic cards are the only cards with evolve"

instead of "simic cards all have evolve, if simic is going to be good it will be with evolve"

i think i rather have something like "simic feels just like u/g should, but it also has something new with evolve that you can dabble in"
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes