Simic Fluxmage

Quote from mineralica
    Dunno, the lights (reflections?) at the right side of picture look surprisingly similar between table and card. That said, the reflections on card look real.

Can't say that I like this ability much, at least for drafting purposes - I somehow usually don't have many creatures on board. And in situation most benefitting to ability - when the board is filled with guys with Evolve, - this looks like winmore.

Gotta remember, the creatures only grow to the point of whatever you play. So at least it only snowballs to a point.
    Proud Member of the "Help Fblthp Get Home in DGM" Society

Quote from WoodWraith
    Quote from PiMan
    Quote from WoodWraith
    So many ooze cards in RTR block! Now all we need is an "ooze lord".
    We have Mark Rosewater already.
    Yeah,but his weakness to bus based removal is so crippling. Certainly not a 4 of.
    As much as I'd love for this card to be real, I'm very skeptical. Claiming it's yet another mispackaged card is dubious, and as mentioned, if it were an intentional plant it would mean Wizards employees have been outright lying, which is an unprecedented event. The fact that its art is a known image from Gatecrash is also a point against it; a randomly mispackaged Gatecrash card just happens to use one of the few pieces of art that we already have seen? Very convenient.

If it is actually real, I'd be very pleased for Evolve to be the Simic mechanic. It's a straightforward and fun mechanic, though much more fitting of green than blue (the same is true of Graft, I suppose).
    Quote from Shadowclaimer
    The intervening If just prevents a lot of weird interactions and rulings. Sigil Captain shows why its necessary.

First, the reminder text doesn't need to have the intervening-if clause even if the actual ability does. They often go for brevity over strict accuracy in reminder text. Second, I think in this case the intervening-if clause actually creatures more weird interactions than it removes.

To your example, I offer the more recent Garruk's Packleader and Mentor of the Meek.

Practice for Journey into Nyx Limited:
    Draft: (#1) (#2) (#3)
    Quote from luminum can
    As much as I'd love for this card to be real, I'm very skeptical. Claiming it's yet another mispackaged card is dubious, and as mentioned, if it were an intentional plant it would mean Wizards employees have been outright lying, which is an unprecedented event. The fact that its art is a known image from Gatecrash is also a point against it; a randomly mispackaged Gatecrash card just happens to use one of the few pieces of art that we already have seen? Very convenient.

If it is actually real, I'd be very pleased for Evolve to be the Simic mechanic. It's a straightforward and fun mechanic, though much more fitting of green than blue (the same is true of Graft, I suppose).

This art isn't one we've had a digital version of though is it? I thought we had only seen it on that poster outside a game shop.

Quote from WoodWraith
    Quote from PiMan
    Quote from WoodWraith
    Yeah,but his weakness to bus based removal is so crippling. Certainly not a 4 of.
    Quote from Shadowclaimer
    This art isn't one we've had a digital version of though is it? I thought we had only seen it on that poster outside a game shop.

If it's appeared on a poster, someone could easily have obtained a good enough photo or scan of the image to use to make a convincing fake image.
    please...PLEASE let there be a Simic one-drop- (G/U), 1/1, Evolve.

Please.

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    Here's another person who pulled one out of an RTR pack.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/159dlq/someone_pulled_a_gatecrash_card_during_draft/
    This mechanic, if real, is actually just stupid good. If they give us any relatively efficient evolvers expect them to see a lot of play. As if snappy and resto needed any more love, now they might be pump spells too.
    EDH Decks
    ---
    BRG Prossh, Skyraider of Kher
    WUB Sharuum, the Hegemon
    UGEdric, Spymaster of Trest

Quote from dorino »
    Lands aren't vital to the game

Going rogue for the sake of being 'original' is childish. Not playing powerful cards is stupid.

Running a netdeck on blind faith without testing or tuning is exactly as childish and stupid.

If you are on either side and feel vindicated by this quote, you are the most childish and stupid.

That looks like another photo of the same card. Still looks legit to me.
    Quote from empathogen

Please.

I was thinking the same exact thing!!! Wink

That looks like a different image of the same card. You can see the same mark on the right edge.

Though multiple images from multiple angles do certainly help point toward the card's legitimacy.
    I don't like how they made all of the new mechanics for the guilds so narrow. There is nothing incredibly special about this mechanic, it's always doing the same thing. I mean, it's good, but it's not my favorite.

All in all, I hope it's fake, but if it's not I won't be super disappointed.

I hope they do a lot of "This creature has (ability) (such as trample, Hexproof, etc.) as long as it has a +1/+1 counter on it.
    SHANDALAR
    A Custom Core Set
    ---NAZURA---
    A Custom African-Themed Set
    ~THE RAVNICAN CONSORTIUM~
    A Community Set

Quote from Drax
    A MAN CAN DREAM AND GET HIS SIMPLE MATHEMATICS WRONG.

Quote from jonnybgood23
    Pillarfield Ox? The legend returns.

Quote from TheWarden
    You had me at "Camel Shaman."

If it is done right, this mechanic could work greatly with Corpsejack menace
    Quote from Master Moja

I hope they do a lot of "This creature has (ability)" such as trample, Hexproof, etc.

If you're talking about enablers like Plaxcaster Frogling,
    I must say, I *completely* concur.
    That would be a truly masterful meshing of old Simic and new Simic mechanics.

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    Quote from luminum can
    That looks like a different image of the same card. You can see the same mark on the right edge.

Though multiple images from multiple angles do certainly help point toward the card's legitimacy.

It's a physical card, whether real or fake. So taking pictures of it from multiple angles isn't hard.

IMO the best way to determine whether this is real or a hoax is to find out which LGS this allegedly happened at and ask the owner or find people who were there who can collaborate.

Practice for Journey into Nyx Limited:
    Draft: (#1) (#2) (#3)
    Quote from empathogen
    If you're talking about enablers like Plaxcaster Frogling,
    I must say, I *completely* concur.
    That would be a truly masterful meshing of old Simic and new Simic mechanics.

Yes that's exactly what I meant! Something that gives an ability to a creature with a counter or a creature that just gets an ability when it has a +1/+1 counter. Like how Chaos Imps has trample as long as it has a +1/+1 counter on it.

Also, I enjoy how the creature can have either a higher power or higher toughness, not one or the other, or even both. Gives a good availability of counters.
    SHANDALAR
    A Custom Core Set
    ---NAZURA---
    A Community Set

Quote from Drax

Quote from jonnybgood23

Quote from TheWarden

Makes sense. Most, if not all, of the Return to Ravnica mechanics worked to some degree with the original Ravnica ones. Evolve works with Graft.
    Quote from fnord
    It's a physical card, whether real or fake. So taking pictures of it from multiple angles isn't hard.

IMO the best way to determine whether this is real or a hoax is to find out which LGS this allegedly happened at and ask the owner or find people who were there who can collaborate.

Way ahead of you: Xtreme Games in Lindenhurst, IL

Initial Tweet: @broketheformat
    Gatecrash card cracked in a Return to Ravnica pack during FNM draft at my LGS @xtremegames1 #GTC pic.twitter.com/g73Ul6sR

Tweet Permlink: https://twitter.com/broketheformat/status/282328035892531200
    Quote from empathogen

Please.

One drop aside, I totally see a 1G 2/1 with evolve.

There is buried treasure everywhere...in a graveyard. Golgari
    Quote from Pseudofate
    Shut down the rumor mill. This man has everything under control.
    Quote from empathogen

Please.

Better be a rare. Those things would dominate limited otherwise. Non-tribal Champion of the Parish for everyone?
    This totally changes how Simic is going to curve out in limited. If this is legit, that's incredibly powerful and synergistic.
    Better be a rare. Those things would dominate limited otherwise. Non-tribal Champion of the Parish for everyone?

A Champ that stops at a point, yea.

What makes Champ so redic is that turn 3 he can be a 5/5, not the same for these things really.

Quote from WoodWraith
    Quote from PiMan
    Quote from WoodWraith
    Looks like a very different, but very similar approach to Simic; I like it. Personally I'll miss Plaxmaster Frog (the art was so awesome and that hexproof shannigans won me several drafts), but that's mainly from a nostalgic standpoint. I really love it when wotc makes creative cards like this rather than just pushing the power of cards.

Also, to the OP, thanks for posting this. I like seeing the common previews more than mythics because that gives us a better impression of the set in general.
    Quote from WoodWraith
    One drop aside, I totally see a 1G 2/1 with evolve.

I'm excited to see some cheap commons with evolve.
    SHANDALAR
    A Custom Core Set
    ---NAZURA---
    A Community Set

Quote from Drax

Quote from jonnybgood23

Quote from TheWarden

Just throwing this out there, but would this work with the undying mechanic? If so this mechanic might be one of the top dogs in this set.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes