Simic Fluxmage

Quote from koloblicin
    Anyone else catch that you could have it in play, then play any 1/1 and in response to the evolve trigger activate the mage to move its +1/+1 counter thus making the other creature larger than it... sounds like sweet synergy.

(edit) If it already had at least one counter that is.

Sorry, but that's not how intervening ifs work. The ability wouldn't trigger at all if the creature was smaller than Fluxmage.
    If you're having creature problems I feel bad for you son
    You got 99 attackers but I'm blocking with 1.

The Winner is Judge | 7
    This Winner is Also Judge | 6
    Club Flamingo | Lots

Quote from koloblicin
    Anyone else catch that you could have it in play, then play any 1/1 and in response to the evolve trigger activate the mage to move its +1/+1 counter thus making the other creature larger than it... sounds like sweet synergy.

(edit) If it already had at least one counter that is.

No you can't. The ability won't even trigger if the creature enters with equal or less power than is.
    I would be very surprised if the U/G one drop hybrid was not a 1/1 or 0/1 with evolve.
    Baneslayer Angel- Pro Demons and Dragons

Malfegor- Demon Dragon: only creature in the history of magic that is both of Baneslayer's protections. Can kill Baneslayer.

Win
    Quote from Lully
    I would be very surprised if the U/G one drop hybrid was not a 1/1 or 0/1 with evolve.

The uncommon one-drop cycle was a RTR thing. It isn't reappearing in GTC.

Of course, that doesn't preclude the possibility of a U/G one-drop hybrid. I wouldn't assume it, though.
    Last edited by Axelle Blitzer: 12/21/2012 9:06:58 PM
    Quote from Guesswork
    So, you're a jellybean connoisseur.

Boy, do you love jellybeans! More importantly, you love good jellybeans, meaning root beer flavored jellybeans. Because those are the good ones, and the other ones are bad.

Quote continued here.
    I love how it kinda works out with Simic's old keyword, graft. Oh, any creature with a +1/+1 counter can do x? might as well use it on my biggest dude I played on the third turn.
    Randall 0705 - 2219 - 6000 and my pokemon safari is water, Azumarill Bibarel and Floatzel

Quote from "Megiddo" »
    i like banning people because it makes people I don't like go away

Quote from Galspanic
    I am comfortable saying that Hannes sold your information and that's as far as it goes. Curse has owned it since November.

www.diestoremoval.com

A truly great petition

Quote from "Sene" »
    The idea goes against my principles, I have to admit, but then again the forum is more important than my principles.
    I like the Evolve keyword. It appears that it works very well with the Graft Keyword. The synergy is there. So, looks it's time to build a Graft/Evolve deck with other fun +1/+1 tricks.

The two thing I am wondering:

1) How many way can they [WotC R&D] reinvent the +1/+1 counter?
    2) This is 100% legit, I can tell, BUT this is kind of like how "Populate" keyword was found in a pack, and they [WotC] just ran it off like it was a "mistake"... believed it (mostly). Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... well, basically I think this was planted. How can there be a sloppy job again, after the last one. Wouldn't they be a bit more careful not to have a "slip" like there was last time. This has to be a publicity stunt to raise the hype.
    Last edited by Stoogeslap: 12/21/2012 9:03:12 PM

Come check out my trades!!!
    oh crap yeah that "if" kinda shoves a boot in that idea. i figured it would enter, trigger then check. oh well.
    standard deck
    Gfast animals slow shildrenG
    51-18-4 (retired as of 6-4-11)
    Sig credit to mchief111 at rising studios
    Quote from DiesToRemoval
    Unless they did it on purpose. It would seem like a good and creative way to refresh the whole spoilers thingy.

That's what I'm starting to think this is now, unless they're starting to drop the ball on their quality control. I wouldn't mind this being on purpose, though. It is a pretty creative way to release unofficial spoilers.

On topic: The mechanic is fine, but I still like Graft more. Then again that's how it usually is with original Ravnica vs RTR mechanics.
    ~Th3 GrÅnD€§† SµPeR1Ør~

Special thanks to Hakai Studios and SushiOtter for the sig!

Active:
    X Metalworker MUD
    WUR Miracle Control
    BRG Punishing Jund
    UBRG Ad Nauseam Tendrils
    WUBRG Manaless Dredge

Inactive:
    U Monoblue Omnitell
    UR Sneak and Show
    WUB Esper Stoneblade
    URG Canadian Threshold
    WUR Patriot Delver
    WUG Bant
    UBG Shardless BUG
    UBG Team America
    WUBRG The Epic Storm
    RG Charbelcher
    Quote from Axelle Blitzer
    The uncommon one-drop cycle was an RTR thing. It isn't reappearing in GTC.

Of course, that doesn't preclude the possibility of a U/G one-drop hybrid. I wouldn't assume it, though.

I thought that was just the rare "can't be countered" cycle. Shame. I like cycles.
    Baneslayer Angel- Pro Demons and Dragons

Malfegor- Demon Dragon: only creature in the history of magic that is both of Baneslayer's protections. Can kill Baneslayer.

Win
    Of course the card from Gatecrash is an uncommon with a new mechanic. Seems very legit...for WOTC's marketing.
    Honestly, my gut tells me this is legit. It seems like a satisfying, powerful, mechanic. It's definitely more green than blue though.

I also have a sinking sensation that this card will be a solid card in limited. It can be so scary, yet it isn't much of a threat by itself.

Hmmm... it cold be too powerful depending on what they print. Hopefully they kept a close eye on it in development.
    1.) Evolve was Ethan Fleischer's mechanic for the Great Designer Search 2.
    2.) Ethan Fleischer is on the design team for Gatecrash.
    3.) Evolve is perfect for the Simic.
    Quote from Guesswork
    So, you're a jellybean connoisseur.

Boy, do you love jellybeans! More importantly, you love good jellybeans, meaning root beer flavored jellybeans. Because those are the good ones, and the other ones are bad.

Quote continued here.
    Quote from jimmyrussles77
    Gonna say legit.

The odds of this happening twice are pretty crazy though.

Not if it's intentional.
    http://kirblar024.wordpress.com - I has a blog now!

Current post- Grand Prix KC Modern Postmortem (7/7/13)
    Quote from Axelle Blitzer
    The uncommon one-drop cycle was a RTR thing. It isn't reappearing in GTC.

You know the whole set is called Return to Ravnica,right?

That stupidity being said, I'd wager each enemy pair guild will get a rare one drop hybrid. The first two in RTR did after all.

There is buried treasure everywhere...in a graveyard. Golgari
    Quote from Pseudofate
    Shut down the rumor mill. This man has everything under control.
    So a common in M13, foreshadowing RTR.
    Now an uncommon in RTR, foreshadowing GTC.
    Maybe we'll see a DGM rare in GTC?
    Does anyone else think the font of the reminder text looks a little weird or is it just me?
    A brand new card with that much damage on the side? Call me skeptical.
    Quote from WoodWraith
    You know the whole set is called Return to Ravnica,right?

That stupidity being said, I'd wager each enemy pair guild will get a rare one drop hybrid. The first two in RTR did after all.

What is this.. I don't even.

No, in Return to Ravnica there was a full 5 card cycle of uncommon 1 drop hybrids, people keep assuming its coming back from Gatecrash. Maro said the cycle was RTR only and not returning for Gatecrash, which means no cycle of hybrid 1 drops for the guilds in Gatecrash.

I wouldn't however rule out that there will be one drop hybrid cards, just that there won't be a 5 card cycle for all the guilds.
    Proud Member of the "Help Fblthp Get Home in DGM" Society

Quote from WoodWraith
    Quote from PiMan
    Quote from WoodWraith
    So many ooze cards in RTR block! Now all we need is an "ooze lord".
    We have Mark Rosewater already.
    Yeah,but his weakness to bus based removal is so crippling. Certainly not a 4 of.
    HELL.YES.

Momir Vig, Simic Visionary is *most* pleased!!!
    I can't wait to see what other Evolve stuff there is to add to his growing arsenal!

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    As someone who is very much a fan of the simic, I'm very satisfied with the the new mechanic. I like how for limited it promotes a little higher mana curve to make sure your later creature drops will proc the evolution

I like how it screams growth, drop a big critter and all your evolving small critters get bigger, awesome.

I also LOVE how it interacts with corpsejack menace.

turn 2: play a 2/2 with evolve. turn 3: play a 3/3 with evolve, attack with your newly evolved 3/3. Turn 4: drop a corpsejack menace, attack with 2 5/5's
    The wording of Evolve seems a bit off. There's no need for the intervening-if clause. I would expect it to be more like

Evolve (Whenever a creature with greater power or toughness enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

Quote from Kirblar
    Not if it's intentional.

That would be mean they outright lied to us, so it seems unlikely:

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/32267231996/was-rootborn-defenses-regarded-as-a-bad-thing-or-is

It would also be really hard to actually pull off, given that you'd need to get a specific booster pack opened at the right time.

Practice for Journey into Nyx Limited:
    Draft: (#1) (#2) (#3)
    Myself and Plaxcaster Frogling *really* want this to be true!
    Last edited by Empathogen: 12/21/2012 9:31:44 PM

Azorius
    SimicSimic
    Orzhov
    Reprint Stasis!
    Control needs more love.
    Dimir

EDH:

:simic:Momir Vig, Simic Visionary:simic:
    :izzet:Melek, Izzet Paragon:izzet:
    :dimir:Oona, Queen of the Fae:dimir:
    :azorius:Bruna, Light of Alabaster:azorius:
    :boros:Gisela, Blade of Goldnight:boros:
    :golgari:Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord:golgari:
    :dimir:Sen Triplets:orzhov:
    :simic:The Mimeoplasm:dimir:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    Quote from fnord
    The wording of Evolve seems a bit off. There's no need for the intervening-if clause. I would expect it to be more like

Evolve (Whenever a creature with greater power or toughness enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

That would be mean they outright lied to us, so it seems unlikely:

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/32267231996/was-rootborn-defenses-regarded-as-a-bad-thing-or-is

It would also be really hard to actually pull off, given that you'd need to get a specific booster pack opened at the right time.

The intervening If just prevents a lot of weird interactions and rulings. Sigil Captain shows why its necessary.
    Proud Member of the "Help Fblthp Get Home in DGM" Society

Quote from WoodWraith
    Quote from PiMan
    Quote from WoodWraith
    So many ooze cards in RTR block! Now all we need is an "ooze lord".
    We have Mark Rosewater already.
    Yeah,but his weakness to bus based removal is so crippling. Certainly not a 4 of.
    Dunno, the lights (reflections?) at the right side of picture look surprisingly similar between table and card. That said, the reflections on card look real.

Can't say that I like this ability much, at least for drafting purposes - I somehow usually don't have many creatures on board. And in situation most benefitting to ability - when the board is filled with guys with Evolve, - this looks like winmore.
    this is pretty cool. definitely much more potential than graft if you ask me. thanks for sharing!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes