MOCS 2013 Season 1 Promo is Force of Will

For those of you that are interested in playing MOCS, be informed that Season 1 promotional card is an alternate art Force of Will.

The card itself is 100+ tix these days: having more copies will probably help Legacy on MTGO, but is it possible that an alternate art card could be cheaper than the high-priced original?
    ATTACHMENTS
    • feat226b_jy8s0q9lre
    you mean, i can actually play legacy on mtgo Cool
    top 100 SCG Sacramento
    1st place GPT Seattle
    1st place GPT Anaheim
    Going off-tanget here, but do online cards always have those highlighted texts for game terms? Or it's just someone playing random trick?

Either way, while I don't play Legacy, I sure agree this card will get everyone pumped up.
    They do not. There's an option to turn off the highlighted text in one of the option menus.
    DCI Level 2 Judge

Scientists have calculated that the chance of anything so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one. But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.
    Fun fact:

Quote from "Rules" »
    All players who qualify for the Season Preliminaries or Season Finals will automatically receive a copy of that season's promo card awarded to their qualifying account during the scheduled maintenance period prior to the Season Preliminaries. If for any reason there is no scheduled maintenance on that date, the promo card will be awarded during the next scheduled maintenance period.

The format for S1 is Legacy. So if there is maintenance the week of the Season Preliminaries, you get to use your promo FoW for the event. If there isn't, you don't.

EDIT: Fun fact #2:

If you have 35 points, you can use them to get into the Season Finals directly. Or you can enter a Preliminary anyway. But if you do and don't go 5-1 or better, you lose your finals invite. Fun?

Practice for Vintage Masters Limited:
    Draft: (#1) (#2) (#3) (#4)
    As someone who simply just drafts on MTGO what would be the best way to get one of these promos?
    I believe these are the conditions of getting the promo:

* Participate in at least one (1) Constructed, Sealed Deck, or Draft tournament with a minimum of eight (8) players Standard non-foil Event Participation promotional card

* Participate in at least five (5) Constructed, Sealed Deck, or Draft tournaments with a minimum of eight (8) players Premium foil Event Participation promotional card

* Spend at least $20.00 USD in the Magic Online Store Standard non-foil Store Activity promotional card

*Spend at least $40.00 USD in the Magic Online Store Premium Foil Store Activity promotional card

January's Event Participation Promo : textless cruel edict

January's Store Activity Promo : silverblade paladin (alternate art)

All information gathered directly from the WOTC link at OP.
    Quote from Italian Stallion
    As someone who simply just drafts on MTGO what would be the best way to get one of these promos?

From experience, it's very very difficult to make it to 15 QPS in 4 weeks from queues. If you're extremely good or play a very large amount, it's still possible, but assuming average skill you'd have to play 120 drafts in 4 weeks. It's far, far easier to earn QPs from any of the Daily Events (where you earn a QP for going 3-1 and 3 for going 4-0.)
    Last edited by -A-: 12/18/2012 5:29:49 AM
    I knew i seen some random mentions of a force of will promo earlier tonight, too bad its not a paper promo.
    I wasn't going to bother qualifying this month. And since it's Legacy, there's even less of a reason. But if I can get a $100 card for getting 15 QPs, I guess I've got to go for it.
    A Think Twice in hand is worth two in the grave.

You can find me on MTGO. My username is gereffi.
    So wait to get the Force of Will Promo you have to participate in a Sealed or Draft Tourney?
    Check out RobbieCarlysle.Com for my Comedy!

...I think I'm funny.
    so if i play a lot of RTR Draft Swiss in Magic online can i get into MOCS ???
    if yes, how many winning i need ???

thank you
    Quote from Caedere

So.
    I think I understand now.
    As far as these forums are concerned, WotC can never do anything good because:

Card that is new and probably good = "pushed"
    Card that is new and probably bad = "EDH/casual fodder"
    Card that is a reprint = "lazy"
    Card that is a better version of an older card = "power creep"
    Card that is a weaker version of an older card = "worthless"

Does that about sum things up?
    Quote from Verseau
    so if i play a lot of RTR Draft Swiss in Magic online can i get into MOCS ???
    if yes, how many winning i need ???

thank you

You need to go 3-0 15 times.
    A Think Twice in hand is worth two in the grave.

You can find me on MTGO. My username is gereffi.
    Quote from RCarlysle
    So wait to get the Force of Will Promo you have to participate in a Sealed or Draft Tourney?

You have to earn 15 QPs in the MOCS season (4 weeks, starting 26th December.)
    All info is here: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/12182012c

To get the promo in a MOCS you need to get 15 at least QP (Qualifier points) during the season.

This season is Dec. 26 - Jan. 23.

QP:s are awarded as this:

Tournament Type Finish QPs
    Premier Event with Top 8 Playoff
    1st Place 6 pts
    Premier Event with Top 8 Playoff 2nd Place 5 pts
    Premier Event with Top 8 Playoff 3rd-4th Place 4 pts
    Premier Event with Top 8 Playoff 5th-8th Place 3 pts
    4-Round Event (scheduled or queue)
    4-0 Record 3 pts
    4-Round Event (scheduled or queue) 3-1 Record 1 pts
    3-Round Event (scheduled or queue)
    3-0 Record 1 pts

Did nobody realize that they changed the rules? If you want the FoW, you have to already have 4 FoWs to go 4-2 (or better) in the prelims. That is, unless you plan on getting 64th or better in the finals.
    Quote from rancormubu
    Did nobody realize that they changed the rules? If you want the FoW, you have to already have 4 FoWs to go 4-2 (or better) in the prelims. That is, unless you plan on getting 64th or better in the finals.

No?

You get one for entering a prelim.
    And WoTC clarified that you'll receive it BEFORE playing your prelim event.
    You can get additional copies for doing well.
    News and spoiler contributor for GatheringMagic.com

Twitter
    Quote from urzassedatives
    No?

You get one for entering a prelim.
    And WoTC clarified that you'll receive it BEFORE playing your prelim event.
    You can get additional copies for doing well.

Actually you get one for just getting 15 Qualifier points or more. It's all here:

All players who qualify for the Season Preliminaries or Season Finals will automatically receive
    a copy of that season's promo card awarded to their qualifying account during the scheduled
    maintenance period prior to the Season Preliminaries.

Link: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/12182012c

Question.

I would love to get one of these so that I can get into Legacy and Vintage on MTGO, but I dont own any cards. Is there a way to get the required points through drafts, cube drafts, sealed deck, or just buying tics?
    QPs are only awarded for placing highly in events. By far the easiest way to earn them is by playing in Constructed Daily Events. It requires a pretty high amount of time spent regardless, but limited events cost more and it will take you longer to reach 15. For a player of average skill to reach 15 QPs in 4 weeks would mean playing around 30 drafts/sealed events per week.

The cheapest way to break in would be to buy a tier 1 Pauper deck (or a cheap Standard deck like mono-red) and play as many Daily Events as possible. If you aren't playing 10 DEs a week then it's still pretty tough to make 15 in 4 weeks.
    I almost spat my coffee all over my computer screen. OMG

Thank you Wizards for the free money.
    Quote from BweeBwee

Understand, Dredge is not really a Magic: The Gathering deck. When a card is playable in it, it doesn't mean it's a tournament playable card. It means it's playable in whatever crazy fantasy world that Dredge operates in.

Modern:
    Something new every week

Legacy:
    Something new everyweek Wink
    Quote from mishima_kazuya

Agreed.

Current Decks
    Standard:
    RWG Naya Walkers
    RW Boros devotion/Purphoros combo
    RGB Jund Midrange

Modern:
    WB Martyr.proc
    Quote from mishima_kazuya

Not sure I see free money, this will make them tons off of event sales.
    My leg Frown imgur.com/a/Zs7UM#0

Rules Advisor: 9/5/11

Old, sparsely updated because of above: Trade with me!

Weirdly, standard has been BAD since JTMS was banned, it hasn't been fun, nor healthy since.
    Quote from Schnell
    Not sure I see free money, this will make them tons off of event sales.

But for the people who are already participating in these events... top quality free stuff.
    Do I need to have 15 QP before december 26, or do the QP events start then?
    To get the promo you need to get 15 Qp's from 12/26/12-1/23/13.

You don't have to play the actual January MOCS to get the promo, you just need to have 15 QPs earned in the time frame above.

15 isnt that hard to get if you're playing a decent amount (at least 4-5 events/week). You get 3 QPs from going 4-0 in a daily event, 1 QP from going 3-1 in a daily event and 1 QP from going 3-0 in a draft.

EDIT: Oh and couldn't they get some epic art for one of the most known cards in magic...i mean cmon..?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes