December FNM Promo - Gitaxian Probe

lol this thing looks a lot scarier (ridley scott scary) than the cartoony eye in the original
    Playing:

EDH: UWTobias AndrionWU (Competitive)

~*~I support Walmart because unlike a LGS, their stores are spacious, they don't boxmap and they have excellent prices on many items~*~

"It was a lightly drafted small set so the investment is sound. You've probably never heard about it" - Market Street Cafe in regards to Scars of Mirrodin
    Yes the other art is better. This art is not
    Modern
    :symr:RDW:symr:
    :symb:Vampires:symb:
    :symw::symg::symu:Slivers:symu::symw::symg:
    :symu:Merfolk:symu:

Standard
    :symw:White Weenie:symw:
    :symr:Red Devotion:symr:
    :symr::symw:Boros:symr::symw:
    :symg::symw::symu:Bant Hexproof:symu::symw::symg:
    :symw::symu:Heroic Enchantments:symu::symw:
    Great choice, not sure how I feel about the art.
    Standard:
    Bident Layers
    B Devotion
    RG Devotion
    UW Control

Modern:
    Jund
    UW Control
    Combo Pod

Legacy:

DeathBlade
    RUG Delver
    BUG Control

I'd prefer the original over the this promotion art to be quite honest, it's just more creepy then the original art's wow factor.
    I like the art and I think the card is an okay choice but I really think that these FNM promos should be standard playables. The whole point of FNM is to get newer players into a more competitive magic, and their reward should be something they can use at FNM if you're winning it at FNM.
    To everyone saying that the art is worse..you do know that FNM promos and the like are them using rejected artwork for the original card, right?

Quote from RCarlysle
    I once farted during the final match for prizes at an FNM. It was a tense moment, everything was quiet, control vs control, I was about to mana leak, thought about it.. and farted. Then mana leaked.
    Quote from Spicay
    To everyone saying that the art is worse..you do know that FNM promos and the like are them using rejected artwork for the original card, right?

Well, it's not that it's bad. The problem is that we're use to FNM art topping the original in some way. In this case, I really don't think that FNM Gitaxian Probe can top the Gitaxian Probe with that creepy eyeball in it unless it had included a better eyeball since nothing captures the discomfort of being probed like the knowledge that eyes are recording it.
    "... Where is there most truth? The one prays in truth to God though he worships an idol; the other prays falsely to the true God, and hence worships in fact an idol." --Søren Kierkegaard (trans. David F. Swenson)
    Quote from Raggedjoe
    So I play tested this last night. It was... Weird. I felt like I was just playing a pile of terrible cards, but I kept winning.

My reaction to Storm

Legacy: 12-Post
    EDH:Teneb, the Land Harvester
    5CC P.P.C.
    I don't see what the big fuss is about. The card itself is a very good one for the non-standard formats. Unless you only play Standard, this is a pretty good promo. It's very usable. I agree the original art had a nice feel to it what with the eye and all, but in my opinion it's always nice to see alternate art on a card, good or not.
    You will scream out your innermost secrets just to make it stop.
    Cool card. Interesting choice, but like many have said with modern FNM on its way this makes a lot of sense.
    I personally love this art and think it's better than the original.

Legacy:
    combo elves
    Wb tokens
    cheeri0s
    Quote from Spicay

Really? does that count for all promo's? Most people like the lotus cobra promo art better then the normal one.
    Quote from Spicay

Seriously?

That's pretty neat.
    Don't just have an idea -

Have all of them.

Join us on Cardgame Coalition!
    Quote from CDDRodrigo
    Seriously?

That's pretty neat.

A fair deal of FNM cards looked actual WAY WAY better than the original.

Or they were made for totally different cards, or did not fit in the art style of the set.

Its not just that the artwork is "worse" or considered, its just a different one, and the FNM version does not fit Mirrodin in its style, its more on the "realistic look" while the other is more comic.

The effect on the original is clearly nice, but this is also fine, more realistic look, but not a big focus point in the art.
    111111111² = 12345678987654321
    Quote from Spicay

I doubt that. Do you have a link to where Wizards said so?

Quote from ~Aura~

You can doubt it all you want, but it's true.

Quote from RCarlysle
    I once farted during the final match for prizes at an FNM. It was a tense moment, everything was quiet, control vs control, I was about to mana leak, thought about it.. and farted. Then mana leaked.
    Quote from ~Aura~

Why would it be any other way? Can you imagine what a logistical nightmare it would be to commission separate artwork for promotional cards that are printed at different times?
    Is that probe out yet? I really want a set.
    Quote from pedee pablo
    Is that probe out yet? I really want a set.

next week

how is it that every holiday season the promo is a card from LAST standard...
    Current Game: Bioshock: Infinite

Mabbz on MTGO | Demgrinds on Twitch & Twitter | Helpdesk
    Quote from mabberman
    next week

how is it that every holiday season the promo is a card from LAST standard...

They're trying to push modern, which as of January becomes an FNM format. I'd bet money that we're going to be seeing a lot more modern cards as FNM promos.
    Quote from splashing black
    Unfortunately every try hard from Sacramento to Shanghai preaches from the top of their 27 lands + Mana Reflection that Tooth and Nail and Time Stretch are fine to play in the same turn but Armageddon is unfair.
    Quote from Geaux
    Why would it be any other way? Can you imagine what a logistical nightmare it would be to commission separate artwork for promotional cards that are printed at different times?

The lead time on printing large sets is about 3 months, iirc. Smaller runs like this likely have a shorter lead time. Also, FNM promos are decided far after the set is first being printed, which is also far after art is commissioned and finalised. The fact that FNM arts are not often done by the original artist implies that Wizards chooses many of the FNM promos *after* the set hits shelves, not before. If it's as you say, then they must commission multiple pieces for each card, which they obviously don't do.

I'm sure they have used rejected art for FNM promos though (they prolly have a backlog bank of rejected arts), so there is likely some truth to that original statement. But artists don't work in the same design cycles as set designers, so I just can't see it as a common occurrence.
    Treasure maps, fallen trees, operator please
    Patch me back to my mind
    i'll put this in my belcher,.the art was average
    MY DECKS

thanks to DNC of Heroes of the Plane Studios for the coolest sig

vintage-WBdark timesBW
    legacy-RBBob Sligh 48/60BR
    GRone land belcher
    RG
    GOBs-40/60
    Fun deck-BBBBKobolds stormBBBB
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes