FNM November 2012 - Pillar Of Flame

Yawn.

It's a solid card and a worthy choice, but I just find it boring.
    Quote from love_blanket
    The problem with defining this format by what is "fun" is that everyone seems to define fun as what they don't lose to. If you keep losing to easily answered cards, that means improve you should improve your deck. If you don't want to improve your deck, then you should come to peace with the idea that you are going to lose because you chose to not interact with better strategies.
    Another junk red card Frown guess im not doing fnms during november

what happened to good fnm promos like counterpsell and isochron scepter?
    Tried it in Modern as a SB card against finks and it didn't work, so not terribly happy about this pick.
    MTGO Modern Player

The next Modern ban will be Birthing Pod
    Quote from Mharti

You're seeing the past through some seriously rose-tinted glasses. The same year that Counterspell was printed as an FNM promo, so was Juggernaut. The same year Isochron Scepter was issued as a promo, so was Desert. 2012 has actually been a great year for FNM promos.

Quote from Nyzzeh
    Tried it in Modern as a SB card against finks and it didn't work, so not terribly happy about this pick.

Now, when you say "it didn't work," do you simply mean it wasn't effective? Because it does technically *work*, the same way as it works against Geralf's Messenger.
    Very good promo card and very good choice to promo :smileup::jam:
    ugly art :/
    Good choice. Making this the promo will mean less experienced players will have it, and of course want to try it out, and as a result learn that exile effects hurt zombies, and will as a result go pick up three more, and in turn make zombies a slightly harder deck to play, while teaching a bunch of newer players a fundamental concept (exiling > killing.) Doubt this is why they chose this as a promo, but it's nice anyways.
    Lycanthropy Awareness Day.
    Hoping for a cure, or at least an outbreak.
    Quote from ThisIsNotMyName
    Good choice. Making this the promo will mean less experienced players will have it, and of course want to try it out, and as a result learn that exile effects hurt zombies, and will as a result go pick up three more, and in turn make zombies a slightly harder deck to play, while teaching a bunch of newer players a fundamental concept (exiling > killing.) Doubt this is why they chose this as a promo, but it's nice anyways.

wow, they really have choosed wisely.
    Quote from Jivanmukta
    Wouldn't Bizarro Jace give your opponents card advantage?

Quote from jamis
    Last time I went to an SCG Open, I told my parents I was going to the strip club because it was easier.
    That's a really nice one.

Good card, good art.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Black][B][SIZE=2]Standard:[/SIZE][/B][SIZE=1] [/SIZE] [SIZE=1][SIZE=1]Bident Layers B Devotion RG Devotion UW Control [/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1] [/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Modern:[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1] Jund UW [SIZE=1]Control [SIZE=1]Combo Pod [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1] [SIZE=1] [/SIZE] [B][SIZE=2]Legacy:[/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]Dea[SIZE=1]thBlade [SIZE=1]RUG Delver[SIZE=1] [SIZE=1][SIZE=1]BUG Control [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=1] [/SIZE][/FONT]

BBCode Render failed due to reaching MaxNestingDepth(5) for Tag: size

Quote from Mharti

This gets rid of Gravecrawler, Messenger, Strangleroot Geist, and a lot of other huge standard threats. Not to mention it also hits Delver.

Thanks to Rivenor for the awesome sig!

Wants Bloodbraid Elf banned in modern
    :DWish granted as of January 27, 2013!:D
    ^Delver is dead in standard, or at least inactive.
    Good choice...

Makes it alittle easier to obtain as a foil for even experienced players, and its still one of the Format defining cards in Standard because of its importance in slowing down Zombies.

Hopefully December gives us Syncopate or Negate Smile
    Returning Magic: The Gathering Player
    1998-1999 X 2001-2003 X 2008 X 2012-Present

Standard Decks
    Saint Traft Control UWR
    Perfect Mill UB

Modern Decks
    Eternal Command RUG
    Second Breakfast UW
    I'm a big fan of how consistently wotc's been giving us playable fnm promos. I like involving these in decks that I'm playing.
    Quote from Mundus
    Fine then.

How about "You may discard your hand, pay 5 life, rip this card, remove 3 digits from any number of target fingers you control, and concede at the end of the next end step rather than pay It Will Go Through!!'s mana cost.

Counter target spell."
    good card and I like the art on this one more
    decks:

legacy
    burn

edh:

current:
    Kaalia
    Wrexial
    Geth
    vorel

Standard
    jund midrange

legacy:
    burn

casual
    blue black control (I'll post eventually)
    Love the art.
    Don't know if I already said this, but I definitely want this!

Credits

Check out Ace5301's awesome work!

Ace of Spades Studio:
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=451747
    Quote from ArchAvalon
    Good choice...

Makes it alittle easier to obtain as a foil for even experienced players, and its still one of the Format defining cards in Standard because of its importance in slowing down Zombies.

Hopefully December gives us Syncopate or Negate Smile

I'm really hoping they give us a promo Syncopate. The new one has terrible, albeit hilarious, art and it would be a great promo. The only other playable commons/uncommons right now that I could see them making promos of is Grisly Salvage (since Faithless Looting was a comic promo earlier this year) and Ray of Revelation. What are other cards that see heavy play across multiple archetypes could they give out as promos? I know Azorious Charm would be great. Maybe...Farseek?

Okay, I'm hoping for Farseek now. That would be pretty ideal.
    I got one on Friday night, but all the copies came in bent and mangled :/

I hope I can get it replaced
    Have there ever been any non-standard promos? If so, then maybe, in my wildest dreams, there could be a force of will FNM promo.

(Yes, I know WOTC will never do this. Let me dream.)

signature by rivenor at http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=329663

I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English. If you believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure, then copy this into your signature.

I hate the reserved list.

Mythic rares are fine.

Quote from Lormador
    If that's your "casual," what on earth is required for "formal," a butler in livery shuffling the decks whilst a pianist plays Brahms in front of a tapestry?
    Terastodon was a recent non-standard promo, I believe.
    Have there ever been any non-standard promos? If so, then maybe, in my wildest dreams, there could be a force of will FNM promo.

(Yes, I know WOTC will never do this. Let me dream.)

If you're talking about FNM promos specifically, then yes there have been. They used to regularly print FNM promos for extended/legacy such as Brainstorm, Counterspell, Krosan Grip etc. It certainly got some of the more experienced players excited about the FNM promos.

It was even better when the FNM promos were foils of cards that had never been foiled, like Swords to Plowshares, Jackal Pup, Impulse, Wall of Blossoms etc.

Force of Will is technically possible, but I would expect it to be a judge promo before anything else. It's a bit weird that it hasn't had a promo yet, imo. Consider Sinkhole, a pricy common, considering it had only been printed in ABU, was printed as a judge promo over an fnm promo, likely because of it's price.
    Tectonic Edge and Teetering Peaks were also out of standard by the time they were released.
    Quote from Slone
    Tectonic Edge and Teetering Peaks were also out of standard by the time they were released.

Didn't really count them, as they were still comparatively very new, and hardly eternal staples on the level of some of the past fnm promos that I mentioned.
    Kinda related but not quite...

L5R released its "Holiday set" that includes every store-kit and most tournament promos released in the last year (along with 10 packs and a couple exclusive art promos). I wish Wizards would do something like this, but I'm sure the FNM winners would complain.

Then again there's a big difference in that those promos are unique cards, not just alt art...
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes