DailyMTG Previews 9/7 : Loxodon Smiter ; Syncopate

Quote from LandBoySteve
    By some of the twisted logic I've read here, no counterspell is playable anymore because we don't have Mana Drain and Force of Will.

I dare say neither of those would actually see play in Standard at this point.

Well, Mana Drain might but solely because the mana boost would allow you to play a big threat earlier than the other guy.

Creatures are simply too good for countermagic to be viable.

Dissipate is a quite good spell but it's not played because it's too slow to be relevant. Even if we had good old Counterspell available now it wouldn't be played either.

The only deck that could really use it is Delver and for that deck Mana Leak is still better. And Delver has already started moving Mana Leak to the sideboard.

I experienced this firsthand when I built a MBC deck post M13.

It worked decently, though I noticed that the more control cards I boarded out in favor of beaters the better the deck became. In the end I scrapped the whole control idea and went mono-black beats instead.

It played much better.

The current meta is simply hostile to spells, pretty much regardless of their power level, on account of creatures being too good.

Indeed, it's at the point where I've boarded out spot removal for more beaters. I could run Go for the Throat, Doom Blade or even Murder - all are solid removal - but it turned out to be better to simply put in a playset of Vampire Nighthawk, Geralf's Messenger, Phyrexian Obliterator or even Phylactery Lich (yes, seriously) instead.
    Quote from Exodite
    I dare say neither of those would actually see play in Standard at this point.

Well, Mana Drain might but solely because the mana boost would allow you to play a big threat earlier than the other guy.

Creatures are simply too good for countermagic to be viable.

Dissipate is a quite good spell but it's not played because it's too slow to be relevant. Even if we had good old Counterspell available now it wouldn't be played either.

The only deck that could really use it is Delver and for that deck Mana Leak is still better. And Delver has already started moving Mana Leak to the sideboard.

I experienced this firsthand when I built a MBC deck post M13.

It worked decently, though I noticed that the more control cards I boarded out in favor of beaters the better the deck became. In the end I scrapped the whole control idea and went mono-black beats instead.

It played much better.

The current meta is simply hostile to spells, pretty much regardless of their power level, on account of creatures being too good.

Indeed, it's at the point where I've boarded out spot removal for more beaters. I could run Go for the Throat, Doom Blade or even Murder - all are solid removal - but it turned out to be better to simply put in a playset of Vampire Nighthawk, Geralf's Messenger, Phyrexian Obliterator or even Phylactery Lich (yes, seriously) instead.

When you're right you're right. It is absolutely easier to deal with the other player's threats by putting in more of your own, which is why we have the standard that we have today.

For better or worse.

Modern can crash and burn for all I care

Syncopate's still garbage.
    Smiter is Watchwolf 90% of the time, but I still like it because I enjoy those colours and I enjoy efficient creatures that mess with blue and/or black Smile

B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana W/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana
    If this post is in a "running tally" thread, I'm referring to the price of the item on my website. If it's in Card Creation, I design for Portal 4, a hypothetical set legal in Legacy constructed only. Smile
    This thread makes me lol. All the blue "control" whiners saying blue is dying, even though they get a good counterspell. On top of that, there are plenty of ways to play control. Go QQ more.
    For the record; just because Wizards prints a few power creeps doesn't mean control is dead. Tell me all about how SCM isn't an undercosted CMC card.

Anyways, love the Smiter and the return of Syncopate.
    Last edited by ZodiacT: 9/9/2012 1:31:58 AM
    Quote from AzureShadow
    Seeing as blue had just lost Rune Snag, Delay, Mana Leak, and a slew of other situational counters, Broken Ambitions was one of the only options worth running that countered most spells. The only other real options were Cryptic Command, which cost 4, and Cancel/Faerie Trickery which just weren't good enough compared to all the turn two counters.

Broken Ambitions wasn't actually that good of a card, and neither is Syncopate. The only reason it would see play is if no other good counterspells are printed in the set -which, in all honesty, is actually somewhat likely. Wizards has decided to stop supporting its real playerbase as of late in favor of catering to children.

Casual players are the ones paying wizards more money than tournament players ever will, its always been this way man, always. If you don't like that, you should stop buying cards now.

Wizards is scared of blue dominating the meta anyways because it HAS dominated the meta since Zen/Scars standard with Caw-Blade, AND now with WU Delver, not to mention Delver melded the meta into a speed fest due to how fast it could be come a 3/2.

Standard is still going to be a speed fest due to Overload, Abrupt Decay, Radkos spells, Golgari nonsense, etc.

As for the two cards, Syncopate is too slow to see play in anything other than limited. Smiter is legit as **** though, because it can be splashed in any sideboard, including the Jund Sideboard. Its also a 4/4 for 3 mana which is insane in itself.

How is Syncopate slow? Syncopate is great in the first 2-3 turns when your opponent has tapped out, in that scenario is nearly as good as Mana Leak. When your opponent has as much mana as you, then it becomes useless.
    Quote from rancored_elf
    Syncopate's still garbage.
    Smiter is Watchwolf 90% of the time, but I still like it because I enjoy those colours and I enjoy efficient creatures that mess with blue and/or black Smile

Care to provide any factual evidence that demonstrates that Syncopate is garbage, or is your own opinion without any notion of what the new Standard format is going to be like so rock solid that I could also ask you for next week's lottery numbers?
    Deadmau5 on MTGO.

Quote from Caedere
    I'm going to say it. I gotta say it.

These are the best duals since the fetchlands.

Possibly better, but only time will tell with that.
    I thought their will be daily previews, whats with today and yesterday? Frown
    Weekend?
    aah, okay ^^
    Yep, previews are only on week days I read.
    Quote from Planeswalker420
    Care to provide any factual evidence that demonstrates that Syncopate is garbage, or is your own opinion without any notion of what the new Standard format is going to be like so rock solid that I could also ask you for next week's lottery numbers?

Rancored Elf has demonstrated the clarity of his judgment in the past *cough* *cough*

I write for Channel Fireball now! Read my CFB articles here. Read my Dies to Removal articles here. Read the definitive Red Deck Wins Primer here.

Want to see me in action? Check out my stream! Currently broadcasting Boros Burn in Standard. Full archive available.

Want to play better magic? Come join us at diestoremoval.com
    I like the elephant. A 4/4 for 3 mana is decent in the right deck.
    Quote from zemanjaski
    Rancored Elf has demonstrated the clarity of his judgment in the past *cough* *cough*

It must be awesome to have played the new format extensively enough to comment on a card's viability in it when we've seen less than half of the new set.
    EDH: U Ultimus U ۰ B Geth B ۰ G Kamahl G ۰ W/U manaIsperia W/U mana ۰ B/R manaOliviaB/R mana ۰ R/W manaJor KadeenR/W mana ۰ W/B mana U/B manaSydriW/B mana U/B mana ۰ W/G mana B/G manaGhaveW/G mana B/G mana
    Standard: W/R Aggro
    Guys have you forgotten about Broken Ambitions way back during the days of Lorwyn and how widely it was used along with Cryptic Command in 5cc and UB Faeries

Broken Ambitions and Syncopate follow similar roles with control decks.
    I'll just say this: if you take the counter magic out of this game, then you might as well just call it duel masters. And I for one cringe at the thought.
    I love how the old and new art of Syncopate are almost the same art, a blue mage with almost the same clothes countering a burn spell.
    Standard: UWR Midrange

Modern: UW Tempo / RUG Eternal Command - but I have all the Modern staples. Smile

Legacy: Give me just 4 Underground Seas and I can built every blue deck in Legacy :p

EDH: WBG Teneb, the Harvester / R Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    Quote from GrAsH
    I love how the old and new art of Syncopate are almost the same art, a blue mage with almost the same clothes countering a burn spell.

to me she looks like she's doing the "oh no you di-in't" hand + index finger wave or something.

Or like after Mutombo blocks
    Currently Playing:
    Standard
    U Devotion
    Modern
    UR Twin
    EDH
    RB Voldaren

"The Emperor Protects"
    Here is little riddle for the thread.

"At first it required twelve feet. Then, but six. Now, only two."

What is "it"?
    Is this the real art for Syncopate? - looks pretty ugly... It's like the one from odysee just as lame but that one didn't look computerized at least.

They should represent counters as something more abstract than "blue shield magic shutting off fireballs" esp. if the cardname like this one wields itself to it.

Loxodon feels boring as well... Watchwolf for 3 with the inflationary counter/discard hate.

Thanks to DarkNightCavalier at Heroes of the Plane Studios for the Signature
    Quote from vulturecords
    Here is little riddle for the thread.

"At first it required twelve feet. Then, but six. Now, only two."

What is "it"?

how close blue players are getting to the edge?
    I don't like the new MtgSalvation look.
    But I like Vorthos things.
    And Timmy cards.
    And making hyper-competitive people have to validate their distorted views to me.
    My apologies if this has been mentioned before. But Syncopate's art looks like Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins.

Hawt D:

Signature courtesy of DarkNightCavalier, Heroes of the Plane Studios

Misbehavin':

Quote from TK-421 »

4/16/2013
    mithril ax promoted illegal activity and has been suspended for a week.

*Still love ya TK-421 haha XD Respect! \m/
    Need a break from Standard or EDH? Play Two-Headed Giant, 60-Card Singleton!
    Dont get the hate on this cards art....

If you are all such great artists, you try and make art yourself, and see where that gets you....
    I would assume not even close to the skills of the artists that make magic art..

As an 'Amateur' designer/artist, I know its hard to create art, so I for one would never judge the art like some do here... realy... you should be more knowledge-able before you make an assesment to what is bad art.....
    Skilled Signature Designer:
    That's just a poor argument, revered film critics like Ebert aren't directors and their opinions are held in very high regard. You don't have to be a master chef to say your food tastes bad, a master architect to see that your house is falling over, or an interior desiner to see your room looks like crap. It is the opinions of the people in this thread (and mine included) that this art is bleh, especially in comparison to the other pieces we've seen so far.
    The art might not be to your liking, that doesnt make that art crap....

Its skillfull art, and thus its never crap, just because in your opinion it doesnt look great compared to other art, doesnt make it a piece of crappy art.....

Any true artist wil let you know, that there is no such thing as bad art... and anything artistic, original and selfmade is true art... wether you like it or not....
    Skilled Signature Designer:
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes