Grim Roustabout

On today's card of the day
    Grim Roustabout 1B
    Creature- Skeleton Warrior (C)
    Unleash (You may have this creature enter the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it. It can't block as long as it has a +1/+1 counter on it.)
    1B: Regenerate Grim Rousabout.
    1/1

Image Attached

image comes from this link : http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/rtr/gzkwhy9n4p_en.jpg
    ATTACHMENTS
    • gzkwhy9n4p_en
    Last edited by Arcadic: 8/31/2012 11:34:50 AM

Shame it's not a zombie. So I guess this is the Radkos mechanic?
    Seems like a really forced mechanic... but I'm sure they'll find something wacky to do with it on some bomb rare.
    www.mtgotraders.com - Enter Code PANDAPAYPAL for 8% off!
    www.CapeFearGames.com - Enter Code PANDA for 5% off!
    Limit of 1 coupon per order
    well it definitely fits the rakdos flavor of being suicidal, but this one doesnt look to be a constructed playable card with the mechanic. Heres to hoping there are some
    yeah, obviously rakdos. But I'm confused... I thought all the RTR mechanics were supposed to tie in with their counterparts from original Ravinica. How does Unleash tie in with Hellbent?

The card itself is kind of meh and so is the mechanic.
    Current Standard Decks

under construction...
    Quote from RealOG47
    yeah, obviously rakdos. But I'm confused... I thought all the RTR mechanics were supposed to tie in with their counterparts from original Ravinica. How does Unleash tie in with Hellbent?

Maro posted about this today, he said you'll be able to mix the guild cards from both guilds together and play a competent and thematic deck, not that the keywords would have super synergy.
    Proud Member of the "Help Fblthp Get Home in DGM" Society

Quote from WoodWraith
    Quote from PiMan
    Quote from WoodWraith
    So many ooze cards in RTR block! Now all we need is an "ooze lord".
    We have Mark Rosewater already.
    Yeah,but his weakness to bus based removal is so crippling. Certainly not a 4 of.
    I don't see this card on the mothersite, instead I see Korozda Guildmage.
    Quote from RealOG47

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/30574937552/if-the-new-mechanics-were-supposed-to-have-some-synergy
    Elspeth is dead. Long live Elspeth.
    Quote from RealOG47

MaRo's Tumblr:

vancor asked: If the new mechanics were supposed to have some synergy with the old ones, what was the deal with Replicate and Overload? You can Populate to make Convoke better and you can Dredge a creature with Scavenge to the graveyard. Other than needing a lot of mana to become better, these two keywords have nothing in common.

I didn’t say the mechanics had synergy. I said the guilds from both blocks have synergy. If you rematch the Comic-con panel, I said if you shuffled all the cards that had the guild watermark on them, the cards would play well together.

So yeah, no mechanic synergy guaranteed. By the way, pretty boring mechanic, since it's mostly a downsided one. I wonder why they didn't do Unleash N though.
    Last edited by Frozen Fire: 8/31/2012 11:01:11 AM

A Big Thanks to Zaphod from High~Light Studios for this Signature Banner.
    The mechanic has the potential to be powerful, and has good flavour for the rakdos guild (why sould i block? I LOVE PAIN!!). This is just a monocolor common, i think there will be plenty of good unleashable cards.
    Still... i never loved playing r/b, so i don't care very much.
    It was only there for about three minutes. I got it in time.
    Not a fan. This just feels like an oddly warped version of Undying, only worse. It also interacts with Undying in an interesting way, but just doesn't really seem to get me there. I could see this being useful in an EDH Ghave deck, though, with the option of bringing the creature into the battlefield with the counter on it, but still. I will reserve final judgment until I am sitting at the table across from someone with this mechanic in their deck.
    Quote from cryogen
    When I post it's like solid gold quotes spewing from my fingers.
    Quote from ISBPathfinder
    Something spews all right...
    I personally love the mechanic, as an RB Vampires player originally, I love RB swinging for the hills constantly, and the ability to have buffed up creatures that constantly swing in for heavy damage is awesome.

Here's to praying for an Enchant that gives all creatures you control Unleash. I'd so run it with Red Vamps.
    Proud Member of the "Help Fblthp Get Home in DGM" Society

Quote from WoodWraith
    Quote from PiMan
    Quote from WoodWraith
    So many ooze cards in RTR block! Now all we need is an "ooze lord".
    We have Mark Rosewater already.
    Yeah,but his weakness to bus based removal is so crippling. Certainly not a 4 of.
    Quote from RealOG47

Flavourwise both mechanics want you to be on the offensive and dropping more stuff every turn regardless of walking into a sweeper or the crackback.

What I find confusing is that the card of the day for today (31/08/12) is Korozda Guildmage. It seems to be a legit link though so maybe wizards flubbed something and the op grabbed the link before they changed it or this is tomorrows one.
    Wildfire on Theros duals specualation:
    Quote from Wildfire393
    There has never been a land that enters the battlefield untapped unconditionally and taps for two colors unconditionally.
    That seems like a rather bland mechanic to me. I'm also a bit surprised that it doesn't say Unleash 1 but I'm sure they got some neat stuff going with Unleash so my worries are probably unwarranted.
    Quote from Ganneyev
    What I find confusing is that the card of the day for today (31/08/12) is Korozda Guildmage. It seems to be a legit link though so maybe wizards flubbed something and the op grabbed the link before they changed it or this is tomorrows one.

That's exactly what I did. I was shocked when I saw it, so I left the tab open and went straight here.
    It looks that if other cards have extra abilites by having +1/+1 counters, it may be really cool to play along Scavenge
    I'm kind of upset with both the Rakdos and Golgari mechanics ONLY being able to be on creatures. And by kind of upset I mean I hate it.

Quote from MaRo »
    Flavor is flexible enough that you can justify just about anything. The color pie has to be held mechanically to a higher standard.

Vendilion Clique-1v1(Work in Progress), Oona-Combo(retired), Oona-Control, Wrexial
    This seems fine. It's a 2/2 for 2 that regenerates. Yeah, it can't block. If there is a hyperaggressive black deck, this will be a decent option, though probably inferior in a multicolor format. In limited this is a good card. If you want an aggressive start, he's the man. If you are behind, he's a good lategame card that shuts down an opponents creature for an upkeep of 1B.

A decent card, nothing earthshattering, but good.

The mechanic itself can hardly be judged by a single card. Could be decent enough dependent on what creatures get them. It fits the Rakdos guild very well though. Sacrifice defense for a more offense and being harder to kill is definitely in their mindset.
    The Commander Gauntlet | Lameria
    BGW Ghave, Guru of Spores | UB Vela the Night-Clad | B Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker | R Norin the Wary | RG Stonebrow, Krosan Hero
    GUB The Mimeoplasm | BRG Kresh the Bloodbraided | RGW Uril the Miststalker | WUB Zur the Enchanter | GW Captain Sisay
    RWU Zedruu the Greathearted | UB Grimgrin, Corpse-Born | BR Kaervek the Merciless | BRG Prossh, Skyraider of Kher
    UBR Nicol Bolas | GUB Damia, Sage of Stone | X Karn, Silver Golem | UR Melek, Izzet Paragon
    All the mechanics are super boring so far... and the flavor text on this.... *facepalm
    Playing:

EDH:
    Niv-Mizzet

Legacy:
    The Rack

Modern
    Venser, the Sojourner Control
    1/1 unleash for R
    3/3 unleash for 3R
    4/1 unleash for 4B

anyone?
    Nice limited card! Need a blocker? Don't unleash. Need a beater? unleash. I like it.
    I do not recommend Carta Magica in Montreal, Qc, Ca

Modern: GRBW assault loam, WBR Slayers, WGR landfall zoo, UG graft/proliferate/evolve/bloodthirst, UB bolas tezz
    It's a more versatile Manor Skeleton, which I liked in Innistrad limited. I would be happy to pick him late if I'm playing Black.
    Elspeth is dead. Long live Elspeth.
    Now I really want to see Death Baron in M14.
    I would have been happier with the mechanic if it gave the creature haste in exchange for not being able to block. As is, it seems like you are giving up utility in your creatures for only a little benefit. I do hope they print a R 1/1, that when unleashed has haste so we have a creature ala Goblin Guide.

Edit: To be fair, I have much less of a problem with the card itself; I'm just dissappointed by the mechanic. In limited, I think that this card will provide a solid amount of value, but I doubt it will make it in constructed. But considering it looks designed to be a limited card, I think that it fulfills its goal properly.
    Last edited by RealOG47: 8/31/2012 11:15:19 AM
    Current Standard Decks

under construction...
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes