[DotP] Unused (future?) Planeswalker: Ral Zarek

So, when playing DotP 2012,

I was absolutely in love with the artwork. So I decided to dig around in the files and see if I could extract it for use as wallpapers. I succeeded, but decided to poke around in the files a bit more. I found something quite interesting.

First, I saw a file in the "AI_PERSONALITIES" folder called "RAL.xml". The contents were this:

(also, every other planeswalker has a music string in the format FIRST_LAST_MIX)

Naturally, I poked around in the folders it referenced, and I found these images for the in-game avatar:

And the AWESOME looking backplate (from the pre-game screens):

(I hosted this image on my server because it was too large to attach here)

I googled around, and can't find a trace of Ral anywhere. Are we possibly looking at a future expansion PW here? (Either DotP or INN?) Or maybe he's in the game I just haven't got to him yet? (I've only beat the regular campaign and revenge. Still haven't finished Archenemy.)
    ATTACHMENTS
    • PW_RAL
    • PW_RAL_LOCKED
    really cool looking.

CANT WAIT!!!
    If I had to take a completely uneducated guess I would say the background looks like he is from INN and that leads me to believe he is new. Awesome find but I have no idea what he is.

Another thing comes to mind with something simalier that happened when Bioshock 2 was released they had DLC in the game as part of the disk and you had to buy the DLC to unlock it. This was the first time a game did this and people really dug into the makers of the came for putting extra content on the disk and still making you pay extra for it. the way computers work is every time a count happens it would start at 0 and count up I'm sure most people know that. "<CONTENT_PACK integer="0" />" could mean that he will be part of the first DLC released for duels M12.
    Last edited by Froze Over: 6/17/2011 1:05:09 PM
    I love seeing that walkers are going to stay a fairly blue part of the color pie. I'm enjoying them a lot, and that guy looks really fun.
    Interested in joining Limited? Come on over and express your love for draft/sealed.
    My Blog about Budget EDH!
    Rules Advisor

Quote from Gerrard"s Mom
    Sene is 119% of a person

Quote from Ayu
    You keep being sassy and I'll show you Thanksgiving :armscross:.
    What an amazing find! He looks very Izzet-esque, just with a darker, more serious tone to the art rather than the almost cartoonish tone we saw in Guidpact.
    that's really cool that you looked through the image files and found that, I like the art, and he could be in Innistrad sure, but remember, that is still alot of really limited information, Ral could be nothing more then some important character in game only
    Quote from Froze Over
    If I had to take a completely uneducated guess I would say the background looks like he is from INN and that leads me to believe he is new. Awesome find but I have no idea what he is.

That's what I thought too. The background looks very similar in art style to the promo art of Vess (which is also used in the game.)

Quote from SpeedGrapher
    that's really cool that you looked through the image files and found that, I like the art, and he could be in Innistrad sure, but remember, that is still alot of really limited information, Ral could be nothing more then some important character in game only

Completely! But from the art alone I hope he pulls a Nissa and gets printed! Smile
    This is amazing. Another way to tell its not Izzet is by the floating buildings in the background.
    Quotes
    Quote from Shaderulz

I also like to imagine that he has a rotating torso (like a metallic graft that fuses his upper and lower body together), so he can spin all around, leveling everything within 20ft of him to rubble.

Quote from gumOnShoe
    Basically the plan is to stall by sacrificing children
    Over 9ФФФ
    He looks very Blue/Red to me, reminds me a lot of Izzet with steampunky gear.

Quote from mikedh1

You don't go by WORST CASE SCENARIOS, or BEST CASE SCENARIOS, you go by what will PROBABLY happen MOST of the time statiscally probability odds wise most of the time over the very long term
    Here is to hoping for an Izzet Walker!!

How cool would that be? Cool.
    Want to Cube but don't have one? Check the map if anyone is in your area and get cubing!

The Great Cube Map!

My Powered Cube

Draft it here!
    Yeah, that's definately a UR walker in the future.

If all goes well, maybe Innistrad will have a UG Walker, a UR walker and a new Liliana?

Good set will be good.

Quote from RCarlysle
    I once farted during the final match for prizes at an FNM. It was a tense moment, everything was quiet, control vs control, I was about to mana leak, thought about it.. and farted. Then mana leaked.
    He's definitely Izzet and that bears more than a passing resemblance to Ravnica.
    That was pretty interesting. But dropping a warship on me is cheating. Take it back!
    Quote from equivocation
    This is amazing. Another way to tell its not Izzet is by the floating buildings in the background.

It's possible he's Izzet while not actually being on Ravnica. And judging by the blue and red clothing, his hair is decidedly white and slicked back, and the copper instrumentation he has all make him seem very much Izzet.
    Innistrad in the background for sure Smile And great art for UR Walker...
    By John Avon
    Decks:

Standard 5CC
    Modern :symrb::symrg::symgb:JUND:symrb::symrg::symgb:
    EDH: :symbw::symuw::symub:Merieke Ri Berit:symbw::symuw::symub:
    Archenemy EDH: Reaper king
    (\_/)
    (' -')
    =O (W/G mana) O=
    (")(")

U/R manaGONZOU/R mana
    R/G manaGenius, fast, and long eared.G/U mana
    This is a great find. Background all but confirms an Innistrad appearance. AND it looks like Aleksi's work.

Thanks for sharing!
    He totally screams IZZET!!

Can he be causing the rain, or just absorbing a lightning??? o.o
    Zarek \z(a)-rek\ as a boy's name is pronounced ZAR-ek. It is of Polish origin. Nickname or short form of Belshazzar (Babylonian) "Baal protect the king". Biblical: the son of Nebuchadnezzar, and the last king of Babylon. At a famous feast held by Belshazzar, handwriting appeared on the wall of the hall, warning of the king's doom. This led to our saying, "the writing is on the wall".

Info for his last name.
    Quote from amiwoso
    He totally screams IZZET!!

Can he be causing the rain, or just absorbing a lightning??? o.o

It looks like he's either powering a weather-manipulating device, or using it to power himself. I like to think the former, because it doesn't seem very "Planeswalky" to rely on a machine for powars.
    AMAZING find, this is awesome. Great work. He is clearly blue, but could be mono-blue, Izzet, or even Azorius.
    Whoa! That guy looks cool, I too believes that he is an Izzet, judging by his appearance..

For the art, I think that it's probably either Aleksi Briclot or Jason Chan that did this illustration..
    Creativity is investing, experimenting, breakthroughing, taking risk, making mistakes, and HAVING FUN! Grin
    "Dream creates future."
    http://levelten.deviantart.com/

-- EDH --
    B Seizan, Perverter of Truth B
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=417779
    That surely looks like Ravnica. That guy's almost certainly an (ex)-Izzet member.

1, 2 - The TS angel wasn't Serra, and doesn't have Echo, Echo; 3 - Mindstab has suspend, not split second; 4 to 125 - TS bonus cards exist, not added in Development; 126 - Linessa is a legend; 127 - Vengeant is a planeswalker; 128 - Golden Lotus was fake; 129 - Only 3 Eldrazi Titans; 130 - Scars factions not equal; 131 - Besieged not split; 132 - Corrupted Conscience ; 133-137 - M12 Titans
    Anti-Crows - 5
    1 to 5 - The new card type introduced in Lorwyn will be Planeswalker.
    Quote from Levelten
    Whoa! That guy looks cool, I too believes that he is an Izzet, judging by his appearance..

For the art, I think that it's probably either Aleksi Briclot or Jason Chan that did this illustration..

It's Aleksi. Definitely not Chan.
    Judging by his clothes at least, I'd say he knows something of Izzet Wink

And yeah, the background looks very Ravnica. Could be Inn, but the floating buildings remind me of some of the Rav lands. (An island comes to mind instantly. Maybe a mountain too.)

@Guinea Pig: Yep. That too! Grin
    That guy looks like a new age Urza, and that's almost certainly Ravinca or Innistrad.
    Ral Zarek, Disciple of Urza

Ral Zarek, Student of Urza

Ral Zarek, Scion of Urza

Ral Zarek, Descendant of Urza

?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes