[M13] Magic 2013 Announcement

Quote from Bogardan Mage
    I stand corrected, but they still didn't do it just because the other companies did. They all did it because it's just good business. You can understand why I didn't think much of your repeated citations of other companies while dismissing the core reason?

I only used the yugioh and MLB comparisons just because they were released in Q1 of the year, to show you, that if MTG core sets were to be released in Q1, they would use the year that it is released in rather than the year after. That was what I was trying to say, because releasing a product that is one year ahead during Q1 is bad business practice.

I created a model as to what WOTC would have named the sets if it were released, and that is, Current year before July 1, and next year after and including July 1. I don't know if that's the model that everybody uses, but considering I don't have any data points for stuff released April, May or June, I don't have a say in Q2. If something were to be released Q2, it is up to the company as to what they want to do with the product.

Where the other companies come in is based on the fact that just like WOTC, they are using the same model because of good business practice. So using sports games, and Yugioh, I can create a hypothetical situation as to what WOTC would have named core sets if they released them in April for example.

I mentioned that Yugioh starter deck Dawn of the XYZ set prefix is called YS11 when it was released July 2011, while it would make sense to call it YS12. The fact is, the Japanese version was released March 2011, and changing its name would confuse the consumer and would make the consumer think that Starter Deck Dawn of the xyz correlated to Starter Deck 2012, while in reality, it is based off Starter Deck 2011. That is the exception to the rule. It's like saying a baseball game with the season starting early in the year saying MLB 12 is released in July in another region, does not make that game MLB 13. The game is still MLB 12. You don't change the year number when you port an existing game to a different system, or make another localization of an existing game, despite it releasing near the end of the year, while the original was released in the beginning of the year.
    Last edited by signofzeta: 1/3/2012 8:51:46 PM
    I my god the last three pages are incredibly painful to read. Seriously. I think all of you involved in that argument should go re-read that in a few weeks.

Anyways, to be honest I think it's gonna be a Johnny set. With their new focus on casual play I can see them celebrating 20 years by trying to make a set with all kinds of explosions, giant monsters and over the top effects from the history of the game. They also want to simplify standard play so a linear set with lots of bombs makes more sense.
    L1 Judge

Modern:
    UR Storm RU
    UR Delver RU

Legacy:
    BRU Ad Naseum Tendrils URB

MTGO: MrPajitnv (Yes I typo'd it)
    Dear WOTC,

Please dont give us announcements with such little to talk about anymore. Do you see what has happened? My head hurts from an extensive argument I wasnt even involved in. If you wouldve just given us a little something more to run with....

Thanks for nothing!
    Whatever you believe imprisons you
    Quote from boneyardgates
    Dear WOTC,

Please dont give us announcements with such little to talk about anymore. Do you see what has happened? My head hurts from an extensive argument I wasnt even involved in. If you wouldve just given us a little something more to run with....

Thanks for nothing!

They would have to have an Announcing M13 announcement anyway, at least it is out of the way, and we don't have to worry about it. When I first saw it, I was like YEAAAHHH M13, I ALREADY KNEW THAT THERE WAS GOING TO BE M13 YEAAAAH, then I kept staring at the logo and wondering why a the color was grey, and realized that it could have something to do with magic being 20 years old, then looked at the 10th anniversary, which was 8th edition release, which was released in 2003, and looked at the release date of M13, which says 2012, and I was like, wait a minute... Then I got anal over people claiming that M13 celebrates the 20th anniversary, because it doesn't.

At least we should be celebrating M13 as the fifteenth core set to be released haha. If you count Alpha and Beta as separate core sets. If you count Alpha and Beta as one core set, then M14 would be a bigger celebration, since it is 20 years of magic, and the 15th core set to be released.
    yeah, let's stop arguing about that now. It's making the thread suck.
    L1 Judge

Modern:
    UR Storm RU
    UR Delver RU

Legacy:
    BRU Ad Naseum Tendrils URB

MTGO: MrPajitnv (Yes I typo'd it)
    Quote from OMNI_ita
    Why people keeps referring to this as the 20th year's anniversary? Alpha is August 1993, this is Magic's 19th year.

The legitimate 20th anniversary isn't until aug 5 of 2013.

From and including: Thursday, August 5, 1993
    To, but not including : Friday, July 13, 2012

It is 6917 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date

Or 18 years, 11 months, 8 days excluding the end date

Alternative time units
    6917 days can be converted to one of these units:
    597,628,800 seconds
    9,960,480 minutes
    166,008 hours
    988 weeks (rounded down)
    Last edited by the_morphling_916: 1/3/2012 10:13:10 PM
    Many props to DarkNightCavalier over @ Heroes of the Plane Studios for awesome sig.
    Wink It takes 2 Little Girl's to kill a Llanowar Elves Wink

Haves/Wants
    Collection
    If you consider 1993 = Year 1 then 2012 = Year 20. The anniversary in Aug 13 will mark the end of 20 years and the beginning of 21. I dont see any reason why Wizards would not celebrate their 20th year in business with a product, that for all intents and purposes will be active, fresh and viable during its 20th year. As opposed to having a one day celebration, or celebrating the 20th year of existence during its 21st.
    I wonder if the titans will be reprinted. I hope we get some new bombs to cast.
    Quote from Target Player

Most likely not... WoTC almost seemed apologetic when they announced the Titans were coming back for M12, so I'm assuming they will go away and like you said, we can have some new bombs to play with.
    Quote from Hamm81
    If you consider 1993 = Year 1 then 2012 = Year 20. The anniversary in Aug 13 will mark the end of 20 years and the beginning of 21. I dont see any reason why Wizards would not celebrate their 20th year in business with a product, that for all intents and purposes will be active, fresh and viable during its 20th year. As opposed to having a one day celebration, or celebrating the 20th year of existence during its 21st.

Because they celebrated the 10th anniversary on the 10th anniversary. Also it's far more common (and intuitive) to celebrate anniversaries than years.
    ... unless I am missing something about "yeah um we are celebrating 8th edition as the 10th anniversary, but since we didn't release a core set in the summer of 2002..." Then the whole M13 being the so called "20th anniversary", which it isn't, would make sense. It makes no sense to celebrate a set released July 2003 as the 10th anniversary, but a set released in July 2012 as the 20th anniversary. It isn't consistent.

Considering they have a plati... ahem urban camoflage looking logo, it is looking like they are going to celebrate their twenti.. ahem nineteenth birthday.
    Last edited by signofzeta: 1/4/2012 12:04:20 AM
    Quote from Target Player

Considering the titans would be properly on the curve if they cost 8, I certainly hope not.

I wish WOTC would stop undercosting cards by at least two when they make them money chase cards. The best T2 formats didn't really have all that many severely undercosted cards.
    The thing about this announcement that caught my eye is Ryan Miller is on the Design Team. I mean, it's freakin RYAN MILLER. I mean, the Buffalo Sabres goalie working for WOTC? No freakin way!!!

"Magic Designer by day, Goalie by night"

Which gives me an idea for a DFC... hmmmm.

Before you say anything, yes, I know it's a different Ryan Miller, so you can sit down now.
    Last edited by signofzeta: 1/4/2012 12:14:01 AM
    Quote from Volcanon
    Considering the titans would be properly on the curve if they cost 8, I certainly hope not.

I wish WOTC would stop undercosting cards by at least two when they make them money chase cards. The best T2 formats didn't really have all that many severely undercosted cards.

I don't mean to tangent, but what was the reason given for Titans only costing 6 in the first place?
    If Wizards were going to celebrate Magic's 20th anniversary with M13 I think they'd have announced it when they announced M13.
    There are 10 types of people in the world: those who know binary, those who don't and those who didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.
    They're planning to introduce a new super-mythic rarity and reprint the Titans, but only costing four this time. This is because Wizards' accounts department research found that there is still room for some power creep in creatures, and magic design is a pendulum that swings in certain ways but which always swings back, or something.
    "Wands dont kill people - Wizards kill people"

"They'll get my wand when they pry it out of my cold, undead hand."
    If they do print platinum angel again, im pretty sure that it will include the awesome art that was supposed to be in mirrodin pure :l

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld5cofuEjD1qc29lyo1_400.jpg
    Quoth the Raven Nevermore Δεν ελπίζω τίποτα...
    Δε φοβάμαι τίποτα...
    Είμαι Άνεργος.

Grimstringer on Cockatrice, add me if you wanna Grin
    Quote from Mr Cochese
    They're planning to introduce a new super-mythic rarity and reprint the Titans, but only costing four this time. This is because Wizards' accounts department research found that there is still room for some power creep in creatures, and magic design is a pendulum that swings in certain ways but which always swings back, or something.

... and make it foil only, and printed only with the foil sheet lol.
    I agree, Doug Beyer is terrible.
    OMG Rumormill = Humormill? OMG
    "Wow, finally, one of the money cards is shown." -- on Seht's Tiger

"play it in a green/red land destruction deck, it could get big" -- on Tarmogoyf

"Decent card, seems reasonably balanced" -- on Jace, The Mind Sculptor

"Horrible, this card is supposed to make Kor competitive? R.I.P Kor." -- on Stoneforge Mystic
    Quote from Horrornick
    If they do print platinum angel again, im pretty sure that it will include the awesome art that was supposed to be in mirrodin pure :l

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld5cofuEjD1qc29lyo1_400.jpg

Except this art show the typical graphic element for a Darksteel creature, so it will never be used on a Platinum Angel.
    Interesting that they'd even bother posting stuff on Twitter like today's leading question...

Magic: The Gathering @wizards_magic 3h
    What do you think it means when we say "Face a Greater Challenge?" http://bit.ly/xUCfwh #mtgm13

Really guys? Now we have no CHOICE but to read into things.
    www.mtgotraders.com - Enter Code PANDAPAYPAL for 8% off!
    www.CapeFearGames.com - Enter Code PANDA for 5% off!
    Limit of 1 coupon per order
    Quote from pandafarmer

What do you think it means when we say "Face a Greater Challenge?" http://bit.ly/xUCfwh #mtgm13

Titans are reprinted, except they're 7/7.

Quote from MrPajitnov
    Anyways, to be honest I think it's gonna be a Johnny set. With their new focus on casual play I can see them celebrating 20 years by trying to make a set with all kinds of explosions, giant monsters and over the top effects from the history of the game. They also want to simplify standard play so a linear set with lots of bombs makes more sense.

I think you just called Timmy 'Johnny'.

- Timmy likes the big dragon going RAAARRR versus other dragons!
    - Spike likes the dragon hitting somebody for lethal.
    - Johnny looks to see if the dragon combos with Mycosynth Lattice, Wild Pair or Freed from the Real.
    - Vorthos just looks at the art. All day.

Also, Wizards hates Johhny. Laboratory Maniac isn't fun, you WotC b********!
    This is what I do not think what face a greater challenge means.

Imagine this scenario. "Yeah, um we felt bad that we screwed you over with no DFCs for AVR so we will print double FACE cards for M13".
    Quote from pandafarmer
    Interesting that they'd even bother posting stuff on Twitter like today's leading question...

Really guys? Now we have no CHOICE but to read into things.

Patrick Chapin noted that the new frames were at the 10 year, so maybe M13 will have Future Sight frames?
    Mono Signature
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes