[ISD] Another Batch: Parallel Lives, One-Eyed Scarecrow, et al

Quote from fnord
    I don't think this is a return of Shadowmoor's scarecrows. Rather, it's simply a homage to the original, Scarecrow.

Or regular ol' creepy scarecrows?
    I hate angels.

Commander:
    B Anowon, the Ruin Sage
    R Bosh, Iron Golem
    GU Experiment Kraj
    BGW Karador, Ghost Chieftain
    URG Riku of Two Reflections

because 26 Zombie Tokens.

just yes..... seriously.

on a more serious note, timely reinforcements, elspeth tirel and others all become simply ABSURD with the new "fixed" doubling season. its CMC of 4 may actually let it become standard viable if there are enough token cards to make a decent enough deck.

you never know.
    Really does seem like a token driven future in T2... But that's a good thing, and will bring some interesting new archtypes.

Sorry werewolves, I still think you were made just for drafts.

Odd though that the best card for Zombies is in the "non zombie" color. :p
    www.mtgotraders.com - Enter Code PANDAPAYPAL for 8% off!
    www.CapeFearGames.com - Enter Code PANDA for 5% off!
    Limit of 1 coupon per order
    I love how this somehow ended up being a token set.
    Quote from Yggy
    Please, mill me. Mill my important cards. Mill my lands. Mill it all. Because I will still deal 20 damage before you can mill 45 cards most every time.
    Doubling Season? With a different name? Hmm... probably been said already, but Ghave is SO happy.
    EDH - R Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer

How to have a good metagame: 1) Make use of what's in the format 2) Play good strategies 3) Don't complain 4) Adapt
    Quote from Negator87
    Witchbane Orb 4
    Artifact (R)
    When Witchbane Orb enters the battlefield, destroy all Curses attached to you.
    You have hexproof.
    Illus. John Avon

Another White Leyline?
    Why does WoTC hate burn so much...

At least this one can be destroyed by Manic Vandal, Scrapmelter, Shatter, and Crush while the White Leyline just gave Red players the middle finger.
    The Phyrexian Arena
    A Magic the Gathering Blog and Podcast
    http://thephyrexianarena.blogspot.com/
    Follow @YawgmothsWill on Twitter
    Love the new Doubling Season (as everyone else has said).

The Scarecrow was probably printed because of the stated fear that Inkmoth Nexus would end up in every deck. That 0/1 Inkmoth doesn't pack quite as much of a punch as it used to.

I think Witchbane Orb is actually a good transition in red-hate. It means that they are actually listening to red players who hated Leyline of Sanctity and Kor Firewalker. Why do I say this? Because red has artifact destruction and Withcbane Orb is an artifact. This means that, while any color can play it, the color that it most often hoses can fight back. Though I'm still sad about what it does to Liliana. Maybe it will help to drop her in value so I can get some.
    Current Standard Decks

under construction...
    Quote from tomsloger
    None of these seem great...
    The green enchantment is fun, and pitchfork and the scarecrow are okay in limited.
    Orb would be better if wed seen any good curses...

im pretty sure the one sided night of soul's betrayal is decent
    "Dear Wizards,

Please nerf paper. Scissors is fine.

Love,
    Rock"
    I am most pleased with Parallel Lives, now I can have 8 token doublers w/ 4 of each Doubling Season and this out, so I can put 1 token into play and end up with 256 ;). Ridiculous and unfeasable? sure. But awesome? Totally!

P.S. my math might be spotty, it's not my forte, lol.
    Love you wizards! Fixed 2x season FTW!

And cool anti curse thing too.
    When god gives you lemons
    YOU FIND A NEW GOD
    Pitchfork with Auriok Steelshaper seems fun.
    <3 the green enchantment so much! Poor man's doubling season for EDH!

I also foresee the orb being played in a lot of non-aggro decks.

Standard
    Whatever I can borrow

EDH
    WBG Karador GBW
    WUB Sharuum BUW
    R Purphoros R

WBR Modern Burn RBW
    RWR Legacy Goblins (constructing) RWR

As some have stated, the Hexproof-granting artifact isn't that big of a deal against red, since they can deal with it. In addition, by turn 4, it probably won't even do that much against red. I'm going to go ahead and say that this card isn't that great. What made the white leyline good was that you could drop it at the beginning of the game, or mulligan aggressively until you found it.

On another note, I am looking forward to oodles and oodles of fun with Parallel Lives.
    new doubling season + Essence of the Wild + Army of the Damned = 26 6/6 tokens! I love this set!
    Quote from Spicay

"GET DOWN MeN. THERE BE TREES IN THE AIR TONIGHT."

Quote from Thopter Cop
    Okay, so the set initials are NPH. Does this mean that New Phyrexia is a part of Richard Garfield's Sing Along Block?
    Parallel Lives is a pretty sweet card and, despite its cost of 4, might be good enough to see some competitive play. Token producing cards are much better than they were even when Doubling Season was in print, and this card is cheaper. Elspeth and the new Garruk both love it, and Precursor Golem turns into a near 1 hit kill, which is pretty sexy.

The Orb is a pretty solid hoser, and as noted is easier for Red to deal with since artifact destruction should be common in sideboards for the next year.

The rest are all acceptable. The Scarecrow is humurous. I hope it has great art.
    Deadmau5 on MTGO.

Quote from Caedere
    I'm going to say it. I gotta say it.

These are the best duals since the fetchlands.

Possibly better, but only time will tell with that.
    As a casual player, I am quite happy to see Parallel Lives. Doubling Season is just far too expensive to trade/buy and this card does something similar to one less mana. It doesn't have the broken Planeswalker interaction, but I'll take double Ooze and Plant tokens, kthxbye Smile

Looking for a casual playgroup in the Greater Vancouver area? Send me a PM. Our playgroup is always looking for more people to terrorize Wink
    Yay Doubling Season at an affordable price! Grin
    Currently Playing:
    Standard: R Mono Red R
    EDH: Edric, Spymaster of Tres 1UG
    Mishra, Artificer Prodigy 1UBR

How do we break Snapcaster Mage + Brimstone Volley?
    Currently Broken Snapcaster Mage + Rampant Growth

Quote from Raggedjoe
    Huntmaster and Thraghusk both make Burn rather a non-issue.
    Is there anything currently that makes tokens at a reasonable cost that could be viable? I can think of timely reinforcements...

Standard
    Whatever I can borrow

EDH
    WBG Karador GBW
    WUB Sharuum BUW
    R Purphoros R

WBR Modern Burn RBW
    RWR Legacy Goblins (constructing) RWR

I really don't see why all the crying that Doubling Season will never be reprinted. Parallel Lives will totally take a bite out of its price. This way, though, they can let the air out of the balloon slowly, instead of crashing it hard and immediately with a massive, reprint. Then, when it's down to a more reasonable price, they can print it in precons without causing lopsided sales for one deck out of the set.

Now, as for the planeswalker thing, it's really not that big of a deal. Playing a 5 mana enchantment that does zero on its own doesn't exactly make a competitive deck, especially since very few planeswalker ultimates are a certain win. The ones that do nearly instant win like Jace, the Mindsculptor or Ajani Vengeant cost more than double starting loyalty. Wink
    MTG Rules Advisor
    Parallel Lives
    I'm happy to see this. Doubling Season is stupidly expensive on the secondary market and I could use some of these for various decks.

One-Eyed Scarecrow
    Funny how the best anti-flier tech in the set doesn't come from Green.

Sharpened Pitchfork
    Eh.

Witchbane Orb
    I could use this in one defensive deck or another.
    Last edited by Woozle: 9/13/2011 7:04:08 PM
    Quote from flaming infinity
    I really don't see why all the crying that Doubling Season will never be reprinted. Parallel Lives will totally take a bite out of its price. This way, though, they can let the air out of the balloon slowly, instead of crashing it hard and immediately with a massive, reprint. Then, when it's down to a more reasonable price, they can print it in precons without causing lopsided sales for one deck out of the set.

Won't happen. While casual token decks might use Parallel Lives instead, EDH decks will use both cards, and casual counter decks will use only Doubling Season. Plus, plenty of casual token decks might use both.

The commander decks were by far the best possible way to reprint Doubling Season, especially since the card has extreme synergy with two of the generals. Unfortunately, Wizards listened to the secondary market for the reprinting of a card from freaking Ravnica. It's like having a reserve list without the reserve list. Slant

Quote from flaming infinity
    Now, as for the planeswalker thing, it's really not that big of a deal. Playing a 5 mana enchantment that does zero on its own doesn't exactly make a competitive deck, especially since very few planeswalker ultimates are a certain win.

Turn 4 Garruk, Primal Hunter would probably end a lot of standard games.
    Last edited by Boing: 9/13/2011 6:33:35 PM
    Quote from Befuddlement
    Magic players as a whole like blue more than any other color. Blue is the color of nerds.
    Parallel Lives + Mimic Vat seems like a neat little engine for Standard.
    lol pentavus with parallel lives.

man, that card has so much potential.

kozilek's predator, nest invader, eldrazi monument, zombie infestation, emeria angel, elspeth tirel, CONQUEROR'S PLEDGE OMG, timely reinforcements, that new vampire that makes flying 2/2s, new garruk... OLD garruk... EVERY garruk....

man this card is going to rock some kitchen tables - and it also might see some competitive play due to its reasonable cost... if there are enough decent token producers it's gonna happen people.
    Don't forget the orb also protects against mill decks.

Too bad Mitotic Slime rotates out.. Kill it to get 4 2/2s, and kill those for 16 1/1s
    Last edited by Spike_nl: 9/13/2011 6:40:40 PM
    Quote from luminum can
    Parallel Lives 3G
    Enchantment (R)
    If an effect would put one or more tokens onto the battlefield under your control, it puts twice that many tokens onto the battlefield instead.
    Illus. Steve Prescott
    199/264

One-Eyed Scarecrow 3
    Artifact Creature - Scarecrow (C)
    Defender
    Creatures with flying your opponents control get -1/-0.
    2/3
    Illus. David Kendall
    230/264

First backfires with opponents creats :/

Second is amazing in limited.
    :watched:Always looking for signed cards.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes