[ALR] Prerelease card promo name

Hey all...

Just got this in the mail from WoTC. Wasn't sure if anyone posted anything about this yet.

Prerelease Support Kit Materials
    36 Dragon Broodmother promo cards
    ...among other things

EDIT:
    I have some other info, nothing major, but take from it what you will.

I worked at one of the big prereleases for Conflux. At said event, we had an artist doing signings. During my lunch break, which was roughly the same time as the artist's, I chatted a bit with him as we are both from the same area.

I asked him if he could give me any info on upcoming pieces for Alara Reborn. He told me that he did a few pieces for the new set, some of which he was really proud of. No big news there. What interested me was that he mentioned that he did one of the promo cards, but he didn't know if it was the prerelease or the release card.

He described the card as a "Mounted 'Bant' Knight wearing some kind of armor/cape that had all 5 colors in it". I'm guessing it's the release card as we now know the prerelease card is a dragon. He went on to say that a lot of the pieces had this theme (all colors).

I know this isn't groundbreaking news, but thought it was interesting enough for people to hear.
    Last edited by DrChia: 3/8/2009 12:57:21 AM
    Sounds like broodmate dragon.

Originally Posted by NZ.Possum
    Garruk: I untap 2 lands your turn to do something spectacular
    Vengeant: I cause you to be unable to untap
    Garruk: Ok........ I summon my buffalos
    Vengeant: I use my laz0r beams to kill your buffalo killing it and increasing my vitality
    Garruk: DAMN YOU, IT WAS YOU DAMNED DIRTY APES ALL ALONG WIPING OUT THE BUFFALOS.

Quote from DrChia
    Hey all...

Just got this in the mail from WoTC. Wasn't sure if anyone posted anything about this yet.

...among other things

Wow... if this is true it seems like a token generator dragon... and with Hellkite Overlord in the set it seems that Dragons are the new Slivers hahaha.
    Drink of me and live... forever
    Finally a reason for Crucible of fire to be played.

Well maybe, but the name zounds awesome.
    MTG Rules Advisor
    Join
    The Steamflogged

Human Rigger Minions committed to
    forcing Contraptions in YMTC4,
    and Resisting The Tyranny of the
    Anti-Contraptionists.
    Viva La Assembly!

Quotes:
    "being french sometimes sucks."-Antoine Ruel
    Quote from fatdogwiggle
    Lol. "Racism"?
    "Hey Canadians, back of the bus."
    God I hope it's a good dragon... I was dissapointed in Voracious....

white mana black mana red mana
    I killed an orc with a door once.
    W/B mana B/R mana R/W mana

should be interesting, I'm sure it won't be insanely good, but I guess it's good enough to make a prerelease card for...
    I've made over 300 bucks off of this site since 10/29/09...Why haven't you?!?!?!

I've also made over 95 bucks on this site since I started on 11/24/09. Give it a try!

Looking to try out a new card site, but need an incentive? Want to buy 2 NM Hallowed Fountains for less than $13 shipped? Send me your email in a PM and I can get you a coupon for $5 off of your first order of $10 or more at cardtitan.com!

I hope this will be a ramped-up broodmate!
    Quote from Venser »
    They can't even comprehend nature. How could they improve it?

Something like a SGC on steroids would be pretty cool. Bogardan Hellkite, but with three 2/2 flying hatchlings, etc.

It sounds cool at least. Grin

Anywho, good catch. Smile
    Broodmother eh?

Sounds like it makes some kind of tokens. Hopefully it won't be jank and the artwork is good.
    G/U manaRedington, Omniscient God of BoglesG/U mana
    Quote from Seth Dracovitch
    God I hope it's a good dragon... I was dissapointed in Voracious....

Voracious was a card I doubted too, until my friend made a goblin deck that uses them. After he plays Mog War-Marshal and Dragon Fodder, and plays that you take 8 damage and has an 8/8 flier. Although the Broodmother probably pumps out 4/4 flying dragon tokens.

Thanks to High~Light Studios for this banner
    :mad1:Drakoguard, Fiery God of Dragons:mad1:
    My Extendo
    Quote from Ravus
    Eyebrow Who are you, and what do you know... Sneaky

Quote from Mubutu
    over six million people play Magic. and you had A COUPLE OF BOXES?! Facepalm

Quote from DrChia
    Hey all...

...among other things

Sounds interesting, but since you did not mention the "other things" I am very curious to what they could be.

Can you give all of the details given?

Come check out my trades!!!
    I welcome the broodmother. I only wish she would not be mythic rare. If she's a good dragon, the price will drive me nuts.
    My signature was created by Zaphod of High~Light Studios. He's brilliant.
    Currently playing:
    Quote from Stoogeslap
    Sounds interesting, but since you did not mention the "other things" I am very curious to what they could be.

Here you go:

• 72 complimentary Alara Reborn Prize Boosters (shipped separately by your selected
    distributor)
    • 36 Dragon Broodmother promo cards
    • 36 Launch Party flyers
    • 18 table numbers
    • 5 Open Dueling results cards (instructions for Open Dueling included in kit)
    • 400 basic land cards
    • 1 information / instruction sheet
    • 1 Alara Reborn Poster
    • 5 DCI™ Membership Cards

DCI Level 2 Judge
    Quote from Stoogeslap

I definitely second this motion. On the other note... Broodmother huh? Again I think I will have to agree, its definitely makes something. Hope its good like the last ones were.
    Got married and then I realized there are things better than Magic.

Amazing!!! This eBayer is an Ultra Rare Foil of an eBayer!!! Hot like cakes!! Seller: appalachianwarrior (#350048736265)
    I really hope the dragon is better than the Conflux launch party promo. I was so disappointed with that card.

Banner by KrackShott

Broodmother? sound interesting
    at first I thought about 4/4 dragon, but Masamune made a very good suggestion
    i think there are two possibility :

-uber cool masamune siege gang : 5/5 dragon with three hatchling 2/2( all with flying obviously) with cmc 8 problably, or maybe seven

-mike(micoloth) hellkite:4/4 devour 1-2, for each creature it devours put a 2/2 hatchling in play, cmc 6/7

the first is great in standard, but the second is so good in draft

most problably they are both wrong, but both of them make me drool
    Quote from DrChia
    Hey all...

...among other things

Hmmmm, sounds like its the 'better half' of Broodmate Dragon. Would make sense from a flavor perspective....

Should be fun!
    He exercises his right to bear arms.
    These are some pretty nice news!! A 2nd prerelease dragon in a row!!
    It'll be a mythic as Wizards stated that their promo card given at prerelease and release events will always be starting from Shards.
    Should definitely create dragon tokens.
    Devour is a nice idea but a bit Mycoloth-redundant perhaps.
    Siege gang Commander -like would be soooo coool!! Grin

(ok now that I'll have to get one as I won't be able to do the prerelease...) Mad
    i suppose that this mother will come into play with 3 Whelp tokens 2\2 ...since 2 are not enough Grin

ediT: well someone had my same idea... but then i realized that having dragons more than 1 baby isn't in fantasy's flavour.
    Last edited by Baal: 3/6/2009 2:18:17 AM
    I was thinken about something like Sliver Queen, Brood Mother, the vanguard.
    He makes tokens so i think it must be definitely something whit tokens.
    Maybe the dragon has some kind of Dragon Roost ability.
    Death, ambition, and darkness are the stock and trade of black mages.
    I'm going to guess that it can make a 4/4 red dragon token w/ flying each turn. It's going to be a mythic, so something like a dragon version of Godsire would make sense.
    Well, Obelisk of Alara wasn't mythic, so this doesn't need to be mythic.
    Quote from Venser »
    They can't even comprehend nature. How could they improve it?

This shouldn't be compared to Obelisk of Alara. That was the release card, and was just a normal rare. Malfegor was the prerelease card, like this new dragon, and was mythic. Ajani Vengeantwas mythic too.

Dragon Broodmother will almost certainly be mythic.
    Hmmmm...citp, put a copy of target non-token dragon you control into play?
    Help me complete my work for all of Magic-kind!

Quote from glurman
    Hear hear! I say that you can do a lot more with a million dollars than, um, a hymen.

The name sounds cool. Hopefully its not jank or too strong for a prerelease card.
    Surge, et fortis, et signis
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes