[CON] Charnelhoard Wurm, Maelstorm Archangel

I can't believe I can actually contribute here..
    First of all, I can't say I am 100% sure it is correct.

I saw this 3 cards from a spoiler section in a Chinese magic discussion forum
    which I have not seen here...

Caution: The spoiler site just copy the card from here
    and it is the First time I saw new information there,
    so I am not sure it is entirely true..
    Some confirmation will be great.

Obviously the name and rules are in Chinese,
    so I am translating it myself, so the template are likely off

I check with the list of known information and at least the
    name seem to be correct..
    Names are taken from the list..

Charnelhoard Wurm (Creature - Wurm) Rare
    4BRG

TRAMPLE
    When Charnelhoard Wurm deals damage to an opponent,
    you may return target card from your own graveyard to your hand

6/6

Maelstrom Archangel (Creature - Angel) Mythic
    WUBRG

Flying

When Maelstrom Archangel deals combat damage to a player,
    you can play a non-land card from your hand without paying its cost.
    (direct translation is "free" and I am not sure how to template it
    and whether you have to pay extra cost etc..)

5/5

Gwafa is on the other thread, in full correct form. Discuss that card there.
    Last edited by urzassedatives: 1/20/2009 4:10:30 PM
    Interesting. If they're true, then they're all powerful effects.
    I'm a bit surprised to see a creature with cost WUBRG - I thought Progenitus would be the only 5-colour creature, and the WUBRGs from the Orb would be activated abilities. Can a number cruncher confirm?

But if it's true, then I love Maelstrom Archangel, and I'll be giving her a Whispersilk Cloak or Protective Bubble / Alexi's Cloak sometime soon Smile
    Designing a custom cardset? Multiverse is an online database for your cards!
    I assembled a Turing machine in Magic, proving that Magic is Turing Complete
    See my generator of random Magic cards, or some of the best random cards it's made, or play - with - them! Cool

Awesome banner from the [Æther]
    cool cards.

they're quite good at kitchen plays and may even have the chance to make it into the competitive scene.

anyhow, any links to the respective cards..?
    Image removed due to an invalid URL:

ChibiSwan! YOU ROCK! :p

...........Shin on the textless Cryptic Command
    Quote from Shinjutsei

I...I really have nothing to say.

This is EPIC.
    wow they are promoting domain. so many RGWBU spells.
    Bribe counters nice :).
    Ugh, gwafa is HORRIBLE. If it dies the bribe counters are worthless. That means your opponent got free card draw from you. A 2/2 that gives your OPPONENT card advantage? No thanks.

Tha ANGEL on the other hand...*grab grab*...gimme XD It's making me want to play casual magic again.
    Charnelhoard Wurm seems completely useless. No trample, so you have to hit your opponent for 6, and when you do that successfully do you really need to reuse a card from your graveyard?

EDIT: So the Wurm has Trample, it's now much more useful.

The Archangel is really interesting though.

Gwafa really sucks - you give your opponent card draw into their removal, they remove your Gwafa, and then you just gave them card advantage for nothing. Jank.
    Last edited by markino: 1/20/2009 9:15:47 AM
    The forum does not show any pictures...

But there are more cards there, which I will post in another post..
    So it is easier to know whether it is correct or not!
    Gwafa is a cute EDH general...
    Hopefully we can get more information on these.
    News and spoiler contributor for GatheringMagic.com

Twitter
    Quote from markino
    Gwafa really sucks - you give your opponent card draw into their removal, they remove your Gwafa, and then you just gave them card advantage for nothing. Jank.

That makes me wonder if it's fake (bad legends happen all the time) or translated incorrectly ( the effect is persistent even if Gwafa leaves play).

maraeln of the mornsong just got a new friend! say hello to gwafa hazid profiteer Rolleyes

although yeah, i re-read the ability of Gwafa and said to myself..

"dang. i just missed the part where your opponent draws a card..."

oh well, casual will find a home for it. Rolleyes
    Image removed due to an invalid URL:

ChibiSwan! YOU ROCK! :p

...........Shin on the textless Cryptic Command
    Quote from Shinjutsei

I...I really have nothing to say.

This is EPIC.
    Don't we already know that Maelstrom Angel is in one of the precons and thus the likelihood of it being Mythic is slim to none?

And Gwafa's abilities don't quite fit flavorwise.
    Quote from markino
    Charnelhoard Wurm seems completely useless. No trample, so you have to hit your opponent for 6, and when you do that successfully do you really need to reuse a card from your graveyard?

You *could* Soul's Fire, trigger, Soul's Fire, etc.... Just an evil thought, haha. If you could play the Wurm, you'd likely be able to do it at least twice at the next turn.
    Huh, interesting, if true. I'm not sure about all these WUBRG creatures & effect, most of them seem completely unplayable in Standard, though they may be fun in other formats.
    Wurm needs more trample, evasion or something, as it's just not worth its mana cost.
    Archangel is pretty cool but may not make it even for block constructed, we already know so many great plays for a 5 color deck.
    And Gwafa seems pathetic even for limited.
    formatting:

Charnelhoard Wurm 4BRG
    Creature - Wurm (R)
    Whenever ~ deals damage to an opponent, you may return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
    6/6

Maelstrom Archangel WUBRG
    Creature - Angel (M)
    Flying
    Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may play a nonland card from your hand without paying its mana cost.
    5/5

Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer 1WU
    Legendary Creature - Human Rogue (M/R)
    T: Put a bribe counter on target creature you do not control. Its controller draws a card.
    Creatures with bribe counters on them cannot attack or block.
    2/2.
    Last edited by flappy: 1/20/2009 8:56:45 AM
    (\_/)
    ( 0.0 )
    =O ((U/R)) O=
    (")(")

We Make the Set!

Previous WMtS sets:
    Aegis | Pax Reproba | Apocrypha

Magic alters!

I disagree, Two.

It seems with the Kalideioscope is really going to be a great fixer. With it in a given deck that can hold till turn 5, you can play Maelstrom Angel and Child of Alara. Even without using the mana fixing, there is Dramatic Effect, Reanimation, and even Hideaway lands to cheat these ridiculously good creatures into play. I'm already working on the 5 color deck immediately...

I hated the 5 color idea at first, but if this is the kind of power it gets, gimme gimme MORE gimme MORE gimme gimme MORE.

Oops, did it again.

Thanks Zeph
    StarCityGames Philadelphia $5,000 Standard Open-- 6th Place.
    Standard Philadelphia Open 3- Top 8
    Zendikar Game Day Champion
    Gwafa Hazid needs either shroud or his effect being permanent. As it is, he's utterly appalling (not even sure about playing him in limited, unless your opponent has zero removal of their own, or you need a Gray Ogre)

The Wurm doesn't feel right. The design screams trample. As it is, it's...ugly.

BTW, Zesty said that Gwafa (and Rakka Mar) were rare, not mythic, so this lends support to the info being at least partially correct.

EDIT: "Bribery" = 2 in orb. Looks mostly legit.
    Last edited by the_fish: 1/20/2009 9:02:00 AM
    The wurm may have trample, but if it did-- I'd think it'd be broken in Jund Ramp, wouldn't you? Repeated Banefire/Jund Charm/Cloudthresher brokenness?

Yeah, i'm betting it doesn't have trample just to not single-handedly Tier an archtype like Jund Ramp :p

Thanks Zeph
    StarCityGames Philadelphia $5,000 Standard Open-- 6th Place.
    Standard Philadelphia Open 3- Top 8
    Zendikar Game Day Champion
    Oh sorry..the wurm do HAVE trample..
    I miss that part..
    Thanks for posting this Magpies.

Interesting cards to say the least. The angel is amazing. This is what I want to get when I tap for WUBRG.

My gut's telling me that the wurm is either common or uncommon tops. As seen, this card (as a rare) is just horrible. Casual tables won't even look at it IMO, so many better things to play and do with that much mana and for that color combination. Let alone anywhere else except limited I guess.

Don't know what to say on the UW legend other than I hope there's more to it. Like others have already said, inherent card disadvantage makes this guy just a bad deck choice 9 times out of 10. Plus UW already has Propaganda and Ghostly Prison which do roughly the same thing and do it better sometimes since they're not creatures, do their thing right off the bat and affect the whole board immediately.
    Wicked Sig by Spiderboy4 and Highlight Studios
    Charnelhoard Wurm (Creature - Wurm) Rare
    4BRG
    When Charnelhoard Wurm deals damage to an opponent,
    you may return target card from your own graveyard to your hand
    6/6
    This card is pretty bad, are you sure it doesnt have trample? Completely useless in its current state.
    edit:now it has trample but still it doesnt seem good.
    Maelstrom Archangel (Creature - Angel) Mythic
    WUBRG
    Flying
    When Maelstrom Archangel deals combat damage to a player,
    you can play a non-land card from your hand without paying its cost.
    5/5

Oh another 5 color creature and not particularly good this time. How is it supposed to deal damage to the opponent? BB tokens will chump block it eternally. Its effect is good though especially if you play progenitus XD, but overall child of alara is way better.
    Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer (Legendary Creature - Human ROGUE) RARE
    1WU
    Tap: Put a "bribe" counter on target creature you do not control, its creature controller draw a card. Creatures with "bribe" counter cannot attack or block.
    2/2.

Worst legendary creature for a long time. It gives your opponent free cards and then when he dies those creatures can attack normally. Nothing more to say. From inside the booster to the bin.
    Last edited by MTGS_User34654: 1/20/2009 2:08:20 PM

Quote from ThrivingMagpies
    Oh sorry..the wurm do HAVE trample..
    I miss that part..

Awesome Smile Now I love it. Not particularly strong, just very nicely designed.

The only way I'd like it more is if it were a 5/5 or 4/4 with devour 1/2 (because then it can regurgitate what it ate).
    i think gwafa's counters will retain their significance without gwafa in play (cf. quicksilver fountain), plus you could always put a bribery counter on one of your own dudes who doesn't attack or block but contributes to the game (cf. akrasan squire, vithian stinger) to draw an extra card.

the archangel is OK. i am not super-impressed with 5-color dudes unless they make a major impact just by (not?) being there (like child of alara) and can be reanimated (sorry, progenitus...)

with tramps, charnelhoard looks better and better. that's just mean. Grin
    And if I've offended you, I'm sorry, but maybe you need to be offended.

Oh, and I'll probably be gone forever after the site switches to Curse's shell. So whatevers.
    Gwafa looks like a great multiplayer card, giving your allies free cards whenever their guy is about to die.

Thank you Spiderboy4 and the High~Light studios!

..one of the [DRAGONS]..

Quote from The Ice King
    If meddling mage is in this set, i will streak across my college, wearing nothing but a coat of syrup on the last day of finals..
    -pics or it didn't happen
    Quote from overkill222
    I disagree, Two.

It seems with the Kalideioscope is really going to be a great fixer. With it in a given deck that can hold till turn 5, you can play Maelstrom Angel and Child of Alara. Even without using the mana fixing, there is Dramatic Effect, Reanimation, and even Hideaway lands to cheat these ridiculously good creatures into play. I'm already working on the 5 color deck immediately...

I'm not as sure... what are you going to do if you don't draw creatures that require it, is it just going to sit there, a dead card on your field/in your hand?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes