[CON] Game Japan: Esperzoa, Extractor Demon, & Giltspire Avenger

Long time contributor Nise_Tsuruta_Mentor has posted the following info on his blog earlier today. Thought I 'd post it here so more people could see it.

"From Game japan

Esperzoa 2U
    Artifact creature - jelyfish (U)
    flying
    at the bigining of your upkeep,return a artifact you control.
    4/3

Extractor Demon 4BB
    Creature - Demon (R)
    Flying
    Whenever another creature put into graveyard, you may have"target player put two cards into garveyard from library."
    Unearth 2B
    5/5

Giltspire Avenger WUG
    Creature - human soldier (R)
    Exalted
    :symtap::destroy target creature that dealt damege to you this turn.
    2/2

Cleaning this up a bit, I'd assume the following:

Esperzoa 2U
    Artifact Creature - Jellyfish (U)
    Flying
    At the beginning of your upkeep, return an artifact you control to its owner's hand.
    4/3

Extractor Demon 4BB
    Creature - Demon (R)
    Flying
    Whenever another creature is put into a graveyard from play, you may have target player put the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
    Unearth 2B
    5/5

Giltspire Avenger WUG
    Creature - Human Soldier (R)
    Exalted
    :symtap:: Destroy target creature that dealt damage to you this turn.
    2/2

Discuss.
    Last edited by Caranthir: 12/29/2008 12:57:32 PM
    Esperszoa and Sanctum Gargoyle in Limited anyone?
    Cool stuff. Esperzoa works nicely with Sanctum Gargoyle for even more recursion.

Extractor demon puts some mill in Black, interesting. I guess the real point is to toss your unearth guys in the bin.

Giltspire Avenger is quite nice. A more feasible Dread. Exalted means you don't have to worry about the fact you're not sending him in the red zone. Overall my favorite of the bunce.
    [The Family]
    Quote from MandersHex

Skander: Every post I read from him reminds me of Family Mafia. He reads 100% genuine townie to me. If he turns up scum, I quit mafia.
    They seem real enough... I just worry that:

A) He posted them to his blog and not here

and

B) The full blog entry says:
    "Sorry I,m not good at the English.
    and it is Imagin cards.
    dont believe!!:D

at the top.

Can anybody confirm whether this is real?

Esperzoa-potentially amazing in limited if you have a high amount of artifacts. Could abuse CIP abilities as well.
    Extractor Demon-Limited Bomb, ability is kind of strange. Black mill?
    Giltspire Avenger-Potentially great, but has same weakness of cards like Dread, where you have to let them hit you first. Decent to amazing in limited, as its reusable removal but is 3 colors.

Standard:
    W Weenie W
    WU Control WU

EDH:
    UBR Sedris, the [187] King UBR
    WRG Uril the Enchanter WRG
    B BBD (Big Black Drana)B
    U Sakashima Clone U
    Esperzoa looks very cool, good stuff.
    You also have Puppet Conjurer's Homunculus tokens to return, cheap capsules, even Relic of Progenitus. And it's an uncommon in a small set that can end games quickly=WOW. BTW, how the hell does a Jellyfish fly?
    Check out my sale/buy/trade list:
    *Mayreturn*

I have some EDH cards and rare Magic basic lands (APAC, EURO, ARENA, etc) so message me if you're looking.

Number of members banned after I posted a BTR: 7 Mad

Looking for honest buyers, sellers, and traders. Grin
    Um, wow. Esperzoa is a Sea Drake in the right deck. A 4/3 FLYING for 3 mana!? That can't be right. There has to be a sacrifice clause in there...

Then again, even with the sacrifice clause you can bounce an artiface land in extended. In standard it sets you up for 2-for-1s if you're not packing serious artifact heavy decks.
    How is Giltspire Avenger Blue or Green in its ability? The card is fine except the casting cost makes no sense at all to me. I get the feeling that it was pulled out of a file, given exalted and had the CC and name changed.

The Demon is ok but I am not sold on its milling ability unless you will be self targeting, that being said I would probably toss one into my Sedris EDH deck.

Esperzoa is nice, cheap flying power with a "drawback" that can be used to your own advantage.
    Quote from Mr. Stuff
    They seem real enough... I just worry that:

A) He posted them to his blog and not here

and

B) The full blog entry says:

at the top.

Can anybody confirm whether this is real?

He's a good source, and it looks like he is poking fun at himself. He has posted most of his rumors to his blog, prefaced with an unfortunately divided sentence (paraphrased):

"Please do not believe
    I made this up from my imagination"

when he wanted to say

"Please do not believe I made this up from my imagination"

Edit: As a matter of fact, he started poking fun at that with Shadowmoor.
    Last edited by Guinea Pig: 12/29/2008 12:11:25 PM

1, 2 - The TS angel wasn't Serra, and doesn't have Echo, Echo; 3 - Mindstab has suspend, not split second; 4 to 125 - TS bonus cards exist, not added in Development; 126 - Linessa is a legend; 127 - Vengeant is a planeswalker; 128 - Golden Lotus was fake; 129 - Only 3 Eldrazi Titans; 130 - Scars factions not equal; 131 - Besieged not split; 132 - Corrupted Conscience ; 133-137 - M12 Titans
    Anti-Crows - 5
    1 to 5 - The new card type introduced in Lorwyn will be Planeswalker.
    Esperszoa is new Sea Drake. Also nice combo with Elsewhere Flask for CA.
    Esperzoa is really nice. I approve.

Here's hoping it's real and spoiled correctly.
    EDH
    UUU Azami, Lady of Scrolls
    RRR Diaochan, Artful Beauty
    UR(U/R) Tibor, Lumia, & Melek (WIP)

Mafia Stats

Quote from Azrael

I don't have any hard numbers on this, but I'm targeted more often than a black guy driving a beat-up sedan with a broken tail-light and no license plate, and Cy's well aware of that.
    The Extractor Demon is okay, and it has a good P/T for its cost in black, especially since it flies, but I wonder if it really will find a place.

As for the other two, holy cow, they're both great, especially the jellyfish. New Sea Drake indeed, though I think better really, especially since there are artifacts that want to be picked back up.

Here's hoping they are real.
    Esperzoa works very well with glaze fiend too.
    Spike plays ten games and wins nine of them. If Spike feels he should have won the tenth, he walks away unhappy. - MaRo
    Wow! Esperzoa is great, and he gives the possibility to recharge Sigil of Distinction easily Smile
    Quote from ArcanePie
    Um, wow. Esperzoa is a Sea Drake in the right deck. A 4/3 FLYING for 3 mana!? That can't be right. There has to be a sacrifice clause in there...

Well, if you're unlucky enough to have no other artifacts in play with it, it forces you to bounce itself back to your hand, so that may as well be a sacrifice clause.

Retrodrome, your one stop site for everything nostalgic.
    Quote from Fernin
    Well, if you're unlucky enough to have no other artifacts in play with it, it forces you to bounce itself back to your hand, so that may as well be a sacrifice clause.

That's true, but it prevents card loss and instead creates tempo loss...

I still feel that a 4/3 flying creature for 2U is way above the curve for blue. Seriously...Sea Drake?
    I'm not sure if these cards, while cool, are true. The guy did say he made this up from his imagination, after all.
    If Esperzoa is real, the very first thing I thought it would fit into was pretty much any legacy Stax deck. A 4/3 flyer I can play on turn 2 that lets me return Tangle Wire to my hand every turn? Where do I sign up?

Didn't think of Sanctum Gargoyle; that's even stupider in limited =-/ I already have issues with Esper recursion...
    I am petitioning for the removal of mythic rarity and boycotting overpriced singles. Sig this to join the cause for a more affordable Magic the Gathering.
    Quote from jokalhaups
    BTW, how the hell does a Jellyfish fly?

Magic? Well, I guess you could ask Avizoa.
    Quote from Crocodile
    Artifact Creature - Jellyfish (U)

OMG Need to see the art. Now!

greetings
    Z
    Quote from Conuly »
    Heck, every day I wake up, I don't go out and kill people - and I'm rewarded by not having legions of enemies! Amazing how that works.

Although ninjas are experts of camouflage and concealment, they are actually horrible liars. This means that no matter where you are, you can shout out, “Are there any ninjas here?” and if there’s a ninja within earshot, he’ll be compelled to respond.
    Wow those are some neat cards. Smile
    If esperzoa is real then he is gonna be played alot! you can easaly turn that drawback into a advantage.

the glitspire avanger is nice too, reciprocate on a stick with exalted on top. he's going to be in the bant theme deck too.
    a small sentence for you to read while you ignore my post.
    Esperzoa is frickin fantastic. Almost 100% upside. The combos are almost endless thanks to the depth of Esper, and I'm really hoping to open it pretty much anytime I'm playing blue.

It's definitely constructed-worthy for all sorts of reasons, whether they be strictly card advantage (Sanctum Gargoyle) or older formats, or in some sort of new Stompy/Fish thing. I'm SOOO glad this is Uncommon Smile

Extractor Demon is made for Unearth.dec and is an aggressively costed dragon. Great for limited, poop in constructed.

Giltspire Avenger is cute, but won't be in Bant Control or make an impact anywhere but limited environments.

Still, a constructed powerhouse and two limited bombs, not too shabby Smile
    Watch The Magic Show on YouTube.

Follow me on Twitter!

Custom Magic Sets: Rise of the Titans, a 295 card follow-up to Fires of Heaven!

Visit www.CubeDrafting.com to learn about the Cube and how to play the best format of all time.
    I will give them props if Esperzoa is indeed an uncommon, I have a feeling that as a rare it would be out of my price range.
    Is there any chance that the Extractor Demon could actually be "whenever a creature goes into a graveyard"? (meaning, sans "from play")

I'm not sure how well the rules handle cards going into the graveyard from places other than play, but it seems a lot more exciting and mill-tastic if it could potentially keep the mill going by milling creatures.

But I guess that would make it a lot stronger than is reasonable?
    Quote from Pachuco Cadaver
    Is there any chance that the Extractor Demon could actually be "whenever a creature goes into a graveyard"? (meaning, sans "from play")

I'm not sure how well the rules handle cards going into the graveyard from places other than play, but it seems a lot more exciting and mill-tastic if it could potentially keep the mill going by milling creatures.

But I guess that would make it a lot stronger than is reasonable?

It would read "Whenever a creature CARD goes into a graveyard [from anywhere], EFFECT"

This would be a crushing blow to decks that run huge creature counts, except for one thing...the creature that has the effect is 6 mana :p

Anyways. I still maintain that Esperzoa is serious business, and thank goodness it's uncommon or this thing would be 10$ easy.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes