[CON] Might of Alara & protection bears

Woot Woot
    extended 5color agro just lost Gaea's Might in the rotation. Now it gets the exact card back! I'm stoked.

Originally Posted by NZ.Possum
    Garruk: I untap 2 lands your turn to do something spectacular
    Vengeant: I cause you to be unable to untap
    Garruk: Ok........ I summon my buffalos
    Vengeant: I use my laz0r beams to kill your buffalo killing it and increasing my vitality
    Garruk: DAMN YOU, IT WAS YOU DAMNED DIRTY APES ALL ALONG WIPING OUT THE BUFFALOS.

So they're functionally reprinting Gaea's Might? Yikes, now I'm not sure if the shocklands are going to come back. Wild Nacatl is fine, but throwing in the super Giant Growth is pushing it.
    My guess: The "Outlander" cycle in Alara is the same as the "Apprentice" cycle in Invasion.

So it would be:
    Goblin Outlander=Thunderscape Apprentice
    Nacatl Outlander=Thornscape Apprentice
    Valeron Outlander=Sunscape Apprentice
    Vedalkin Outlander=Stormscape Apprentice
    Zombie Outlander=Nightscape Apprentice

Of course, it could also be the other common cycle (of protection critters)...
    Quote from Furor »
    Tolerance is the handmaiden of evil.

T|o|l|e|r|a|n|c|e
    My anti-Furor.

What's yours?

I'm a Gaymer, deal with it.

My trades!
    Excuse me, but what is a "functional reprint (cycle)" ?
    Casual player forever !

Quote from NeoItems
    I love how everyone defending Jace has a Jace avatar.
    Quote from Skibo
    Even though the Time rifts were closed a century ago, a washing machine could still fall out of time and crush your car.
    Quote from Barinellos

They only had one green mana open.

I have always thought Domain should be an ability word. It just makes sense.

And I figured this what Might of Alara would be. No surprise.

Venser FR: A functional reprint is a card that is entirely identical to an existing card, except that its name and possibly creature type is different, usually changed to reflect it's setting. ie: Cylian Elf is a functional reprint of Grizzly Bears.
    Quote from hamtastic
    Asking out a girl is like trying to cast a first turn Necropotence. Sometimes the other player will have the Force of Will to say no. You shouldn't let that stop you from trying it.
    Quote from LMTRK
    Omnath doesnt give you infinite Saprolings from a Jade Mage just like a refridgerator doesnt give you infinite milkshakes from your milk.
    Level 1 DCI Judge
    Check out my Commons Cube.
    A functional reprint means that the entire text of the card is copied, as well as mana cost, but the card's name and possibly creature type are different. Such as Balduvian Bears = Barbary Apes = Bear Cub = Cylian Elf = Forest Bear = Grizzly Bears.
    Quote from Furor »

T|o|l|e|r|a|n|c|e
    My anti-Furor.

What's yours?

My trades!
    There is only one card they need to duplicate to make domain a possiblity in T2 Collective Restraint.

Feel free to bid on my cards here!
    I really hope we don't see that. It would more or less shut down aggro. If they do decide to bring it back, it would have to be in white, as that is white's portion of the pie now.
    Quote from hamtastic
    Asking out a girl is like trying to cast a first turn Necropotence. Sometimes the other player will have the Force of Will to say no. You shouldn't let that stop you from trying it.
    Quote from LMTRK
    Omnath doesnt give you infinite Saprolings from a Jade Mage just like a refridgerator doesnt give you infinite milkshakes from your milk.
    Level 1 DCI Judge
    OK, so if I'm not mistaken there are 4 cycles of common creatures in Invasion

The protection creatures
    The apprentices
    Creatures with ally color activation
    and creatures with kicker that get 2 +1/+1 counters and an ability

What are your thoughts. Did I miss any?
    the presence of domain almost makes me think the shocklands are coming back...
    PLAYERS IN THE BUFFALO AREA. I LOVE CASUAL MAGIC

~~~~~Thanks to Hightlight~Studio for this badass Signature~~~~~
    :symgw::symu::symbw::symg::symrg::symw:
    Come and trade with me!
    I don't think you missed any cycles.

I think Quenchable Fire could potentially be a reprint of Tribal Flames and Drag Down could be Exotic Curse. And the outlanders have got to be the protection bears.
    Quote from hamtastic
    Quote from LMTRK
    Level 1 DCI Judge
    Thanks as always little birdy.

Domain as a keyword- not a huge surprise, wizards is making most themes into keywords now days.

Might of Alara- Although it's boring, extended will be very happy with a reprinted Gaea's Might and with 8 versions now available to legacy a domain deck might see play there too(probably not but it's worth a shot).

Cycle of function reprints based on invasion common creatures- Well we had the apprentices Nightscape Apprentice etc. which would fit into shards nicely(although we already have the battlemages) or the allied protection bears Shivan Zombie etc. which would bit a bit weird to show up in shards(protection from a color not known to exist?) but given the cross over happening in conflux it's possible.

Machius proudly supports R_E's right to Rumour!
    Quote from Orange Mage
    In general, Machius is right on the button. You should follow his line of thinking.
    Quote from Machius
    Cycle of function reprints based on invasion common creatures- Well we had the apprentices Nightscape Apprentice etc. which would fit into shards nicely(although we already have the battlemages) or the allied protection bears Shivan Zombie etc. which would bit a bit weird to show up in shards(protection from a color not known to exist?) but given the cross over happening in conflux it's possible.

We've already been told we're getting a functional Shivan Zombie reprint, it makes sense that we'd get the whole cycle.
    Quote from Little Birdy

Might of Alara
    G
    Domain-Target creature gets +x/+x until end of turn for each basic land type you control.

So how exactly is this worded on the card? As is, it's quite confusing. +x/+x? well what exactly is x? Shouldn't it just say +1/+1 until end of turn for each basic land type?
    Quote from pokerbob1 »
    maybe everyone should sig the following:
    If you think you found a way to play evermind, you are wrong.
    Where were we told about the Shivan Zombie reprint? Why isn't it in any of the initial posts or thread titles of the other threads? (At least from a casual glance I can't find it.)
    Quote from Furor »

T|o|l|e|r|a|n|c|e
    My anti-Furor.

What's yours?

My trades!
    Wish they'd stop printing good aggro cards and give us more control cards.

Bah.
    EDH
    UUU Azami, Lady of Scrolls
    RRR Diaochan, Artful Beauty
    UR(U/R) Tibor, Lumia, & Melek (WIP)

Mafia Stats

Quote from Azrael

I don't have any hard numbers on this, but I'm targeted more often than a black guy driving a beat-up sedan with a broken tail-light and no license plate, and Cy's well aware of that.
    Quote from iRebel
    Wish they'd stop printing good aggro cards and give us more control cards.

Bah.

ill be happy if the protection bears make it into alara. it'd make shard battles much more flavorful. also, im getting tired of control lately, so might as well go aggro! Wink
    Image removed due to an invalid URL:

ChibiSwan! YOU ROCK! :p

...........Shin on the textless Cryptic Command
    Quote from Shinjutsei

I...I really have nothing to say.

This is EPIC.
    Protection bearsss: (a stab...I am assuming they are scouts, I am adding them to the spoiler as written below.)

Goblin Outlander RG
    Creature - Goblin Scout?
    Protection from blue
    2/2

Nactyl Outlander GW
    Creature - Cat Scout?
    Protection from black
    2/2

Valeron Outlander UW
    Creature - Human Scout?
    Protection from red
    2/2

Vedalken Outlander UB
    Creature - Vedalken Scout
    Protection from green
    2/2

Zombie Outlander BR
    Creature - Zombie Scout
    Protection from white
    2/2
    News and spoiler contributor for GatheringMagic.com

Twitter
    I also have to assume we're getting the Pro-Bears, which I am all for - good solid 2-drops with protection are decent and I liked the Invasion ones well enough. They won't knock your socks off, but they're solid.
    But shouldn't Vedalken Outlander be an artifact creature, since it's Esper-aligned?
    I wish that if they are going to make "functional reprints" at least they could be things off the reserve list.
    Would the Shock Lands contribute to Domain or do they have to be basic lands?
    Isn't Exploding Borders our near-functional reprint of Tribal Flames? side note: Merry belated Christmas, Salvation. I'm sending this from my new iPod touch! Smile
    :link::symb::link::symb::link::symb::link::symb::link::symb::link::symb::link:

Looking for something to do? Try out League of Legends!!! Its a free-to-play, team-based strategy game. If you played Defense of the Ancients or Demigod, you'll love League of Legends.
    :link::symb::link::symb::link::symb::link::symb::link::symb::link::symb::link:
    Quote from CCClark
    I wish that if they are going to make "functional reprints" at least they could be things off the reserve list.

I think that's not allowed either. They can make almost versions of cards on the list, but functional reprints would for the most part invalidate them as much as actual reprints would.
    My cube thread: My Half-Japanese Cube
    Interesting stuff, lest anybody actually thought Wizards was now in the business of printing/reprinting only power cards and nothing that's only good in limited. Wink

Something to keep in mind when expecting the Eleventh Edition, yes? Wink
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes