[CON] new naturalize, Grixis Illusionist, Pestilent Kathari, Beacon Behemoth

Some filler commons:

Grixis Illusionist U
    Creature - Human Wizard (C)
    :symtap:: Target land becomes the basic land type of your choice until end of turn.
    1/1

Basically a New Reef Shaman.

Pestilent Kathari
    2B
    Creature - Bird Warrior (C)
    Flying
    Deathtouch
    2R: Pestilent Kathari gains first strike until end of turn
    1/1

Nice little creature..Rather annoying when you get 2R up

Beacon Behemoth 3GG
    Creature-Beast (C)
    1: Target creature with power 5 or greater gains vigilance until end of turn.
    5/3

Basically another Mosstodon, which may or may not be better..

Finally, this is a bit vauge:

Filigree Fracture/Spore Burst 2G(name probably former)
    (uncommon)
    Instant (very likely)
    Destroy target enchanment or artifact.
    If the opponent/controller? control a black or blue permenant, you draw a card.

(a bit weird but I am sure of the "black or blue" clause, so it make more sense if it is
    target opponent/ the enchantment/artifact controller instead of yourself.
    Last edited by Caranthir: 1/23/2009 7:38:54 AM
    Filigree Fracture is an interesting new Dismantling Blow against a lot of decks. Especially brutal against an Esper limited deck, ouch.
    Tournament Victories:
    Indianapolis Regionals 2009 (Standard)
    Worldwake Gameday (Limited)

See my alters here: http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/jimmy2do/Cards/
    Grixis Illusionist - Interesting limted Domain enabler and Mana fixer. High pick.

Pestilent Kathari - Could be a seriously annoying little blocker.

Filigree Fracture - Do they use Bitterblossom as a dartboard at WotC HQ?
    Loving all of these, thanks Smile

The Illusionist is the weakest of the bunch but still very playable if you've got a lot of domain/splash colours. However, if you have access to better fixing he might not be worth it...
    I'm not really a fan of the Screecher. Seems too expensive. But then again, it couldnt really be less either.

The cards all seem fine, but just a bit uninspired. Except Filigree Fracture. I like that one a little. A little.
    Before any one asks: No, Filigree Fracture is NOT a tool against Bitterblossom. So, hes taped out for BB? Great, you have a naturalize. So wait for their next turn having a token--> Faerie player is untapped.
    Tideshaper Mystic back so soon.

Except...you can use it to manascrew your opponent.

Practice for Vintage Masters Limited:
    Draft: (#1) (#2) (#3) (#4)
    Quote from the_fish
    Loving all of these, thanks Smile

The Illusionist is the weakest of the bunch but still very playable if you've got a lot of domain/splash colours. However, if you have access to better fixing he might not be worth it...

You haven't seen Reef Shaman in INV block limited did you? It's teh hawt since you can fix yourself and screw your opponent (screw as in mana screw) according to what's more valuable.

The illusionist is much better than I first gave him thought. Of course his mana fixing will be great but he can also be versatile in making your opponent's domain spells less effective. Kinda like how Amoeboid Changeling was a sleeper hit in Lorwyn limited.
    Tournament Victories:
    Indianapolis Regionals 2009 (Standard)
    Worldwake Gameday (Limited)

See my alters here: http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/jimmy2do/Cards/
    I like Grixis Illusionist

Can I convert a double land (temple garden ej.) into a swamp? or how is it?

I mean, like blood moon? if it's that way, that creature is just GREAT, because you can "destroy" your opponent mana base from turn 1
    Grixis Illusionist- Reef Shaman again, helps with domain, helps fix mana, can be used to screw opponent on color. Good playable card for limited, draft I'd pick as early as 3rd or 4th if I needed it.

Pestilent Kathari- very annoying with access to the red, it's a sort of new Stinkweed Imp in terms of being a highly annoying flying blocker in limited.

Beacon Behemoth- another nice fat ability giving naya creature, a 5/3 vigilant creature is very nice and so is a vigilant army.

Filigree Fracture(seems most likely of the names)- Naturalize/Disenchant effects are always good and cantrips are always nice. This seems to be a part of the Celestrial Purge Cycle(better than the red and black but still much worse than purge). It seems targetted again at faeries where it can kill bitterblossom and then draw a card(if they have a token or another faerie still in play). Limited playable(probably maindeckable) with oblivion ring and all the esper cards. Constructed i'd be tempted to run this over Naturalize if I were likely to run either.

Machius proudly supports R_E's right to Rumour!
    Quote from Orange Mage
    In general, Machius is right on the button. You should follow his line of thinking.
    Formatted:

Grixis Illusionist U
    Creature - Human Wizard (Common)
    T: Target land becomes the basic land type of your choice until end of turn.
    Swamp, Forest, Swamp, Forest, Swamp, Forest... - Illusionist Mantra
    1/1

Pestilent Kathari 2B
    Creature - Bird Warrior (Common)
    Flying
    Deathtouch
    2R: Pestilent Kathari gains first strike until end of turn.
    Is is a Bird? Is it a Plane? No, it's just a bird... - Rakka Mar's Last Words
    1/1

Beacon Behemoth 3GG
    Creature - Behemoth (Common)
    "I'm on fire! I'm on fire! Oh God the Pain! It buuuuurrrrns!" - misinterpretation of the word Beacon
    5/3

Filigree Fracture 2G
    Instant (Common)
    Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
    If that artifact or enchantment's controller controls a black or blue permanent, draw a card.
    "Well, Mister the-Seeker, that's a nasty break you've got there. How did it happen?" - Esper Nurse to Tezzeret

Really liking the Illusionist - or I am for the moment. I just know someone's going to use it to royally piss me off at the Prerelease.
    Chumping Engine 3
    Artifact (Rare)
    Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from play you may put X 0/1 Chump Artifact Creature tokens into play where X is that creature's Power.
    "Soon the Pointless Saviour will come...*splat*" - 1/1 Vanilla's last words.
    Thanks for the info.

It is interesting that Beacon Behemoth has no color-related abilities...from tha art, it seemed that it would be related to different mana color production.

Grixis Illusionist...another functional reprint from Invasion block. But it plays well with the domain mechanic, and therefore it is good. Plus, you can use it to mess-up your opp's manabase, something that Tideshaper Mystic cannot.

The other two are fine. Filigree Fracture is probably the correct name, Spore Burst would probably be Saproling-related spell.
    Mad 100% Vorthos Spike and Storyline Expert Mad

Former Fact Prospector of the Greek Alliance.
    Let this great clan rest in peace (2001-2011)

>>Banner by Spanglegluppet<<

Most of these i like the naturalize thing.
    But it depends on who controls what to draw the card.
    I'd say:-

Filigree Fracture 2G
    Instant (u)
    Destroy target artifact or enchantment. If that permanent’s controller controls a blue or black permanent, draw a card.
    Mythic Mage
    Quote from ThrivingMagpies

Grixis Illusionist U
    Creature - Human Wizard (C)
    :symtap:: Target land becomes the basic land type of your choice until end of turn.
    1/1

This will be somewhere between a third and forth pick, just like dreamscape artist was in Time Spiral Block. Great mana-screwed fixer for any limited format.

Pestilent Kathari 2B
    Creature - Bird Warrior (C)
    Flying
    Deathtouch
    2R: Pestilent Kathari gains first strike until end of turn
    1/1

*Maniacal laughter* They finally did it!!! Death Touch and first strike. Yeah, sure, it isn't a free first strike, but it's the famous draft 2-punch hit from Ravnica block: Stinkweed Imp & Peregrine Mask only now it's more fitting, being a black card with a red activated ability! I call that this is a first pick and quick removal spell bait.

Beacon Behemoth 3GG
    Creature-Beast (C)
    5/3

Yup, another beastie boy for Naya. This should be grabbed for hate purposes in a draft if there's nothing better to grab. Honestly though, not really impressed. Guessin' that this is in the set as a 'filler'.

Filigree Fracture/Spore Burst 2G(name probably former)
    (uncommon)
    Instant (very likely)
    Destroy target enchanment or artifact.
    If the opponent/controller? control a black or blue permenant, you draw a card.

Good 'dissenchant' w/ card draw for drafts. Now with the green rare card draw { = to target creature's toughness you control }, Naya draft decks will be a pain in the arse to deal with. *sigh*, Naya, what will we do with you???

Come check out my trades!!!
    Grixis Illusionist: awesome in limited. a one drop that can fix your mana, assist domain and disrupt your opponent? sign me up!

Pestilent Kathari: That is a NASTY common, this is a real PitA in limited. I always end up drafting grixis and I ussually do pretty good so I will probobly end up with 2 of these.

Beacon Behemoth : Naya fodder NEXT........

Fillgree Fracture: pretty good considering how good esper is in this set so this would be a good card for a sideboard in limited.
    a small sentence for you to read while you ignore my post.
    Quote from Fodder

Grixis Illusionist U
    Swamp, Forest, Swamp, Forest, Swamp, Forest... - Illusionist Mantra

Pestilent Kathari 2B
    Is is a Bird? Is it a Plane? No, it's just a bird... - Rakka Mar's Last Words

Beacon Behemoth 3GG
    "I'm on fire! I'm on fire! Oh God the Pain! It buuuuurrrrns!" - misinterpretation of the word Beacon

Filigree Fracture 2G
    "Well, Mister the-Seeker, that's a nasty break you've got there. How did it happen?" - Esper Nurse to Tezzeret

Thank you sir for making my day. Grin
    Grixis Illusionist

"The idea is simple. As long as they can't find us, they can't kill us."
    The kathari might be decent in limited.

The thing that sucks about the fracture is if you destroy their only blue/black permanent. Perhaps it's worded so you get the draw if you did, too?
    DeceitfulBeauty's Sexy lil Love Slave Love
    Quote from Zadok001
    What we're doing here is akin to taking the text of Moby Dick, locating specific words therein, rearranging them to create a passage from Fight Club, and concluding from this evidence that Tyler Durden is based on Ahab.

Guildmaster Jarad
    This will be somewhere between a third and forth pick, just like dreamscape artist was in Time Spiral Block.

I don't think so- Dreamscape Artist was basically a Harrow, providing you with actual "ramping". (along with fixing)

This guy doesn't actually provide... anything outside of fixing. Yes, he's better than Mana Cylix (should never have been reprinted), and could probably hurt THIER mana base for a turn, but he's pretty unexciting imho. Very late pick.

*Maniacal laughter* They finally did it!!! Death Touch and first strike. Yeah, sure, it isn't a free first strike, but it's the famous draft 2-punch hit from Ravnica block: Stinkweed Imp & Peregrine Mask only now it's more fitting, being a black card with a red activated ability! I call that this is a first pick and quick removal spell bait.

First pick is probably an exaggeration on your part (:P), but it is good. Deathtouch is always relevant with Soul's Fire as well. Grin
    Grixis Illusionist: Meh. Not anything new.

Pestilent Kathari: Deathtouch and First strike is a good combination, but the combination of both the play and ability cost is a little too costly for a fragile 1/1.

Beacon Behemoth: More 5 power support. I suppose vigilance is ok.

Filigree Fracture: Situational cantrip isn't appealing to me.
    All thanks to a regular source of disappointment.
    Quote from Megiddo
    that's like that time when I got mistaken for kim jong un
    Good common filler I'd have to say. Nothing too good (what do you expect from commons?) but not bad either.

Banner by KrackShott

Grixis Illusionist.

I'm not quite sure how powerful the ability to mess with domain effects is when every color has access to some of that ability.

This is probably why it doesn't have the drawback that you can only use it on your turn.

The Bird Warrior is eh, but it has quite the ability to swing if you have 2R up. It would be better if red and black had more flash creatures, because holding back 3 to warn off attacks isn't really good for them.

That said, you can probably just use him as a kinda cheap deathtouch flyer and ram him into fat, ignoring the red effect.

The 5/3 beast is interesting. kinda subpar in that it forces you to speed mana before you attack, but heck, you are playing green, and you can probably spend the 1 mana after casting him and still have trick mana up.

THe green destory card is pretty powerful, given that enchantments and artifacts are pretty common in Standard and limited.
    The guy who found the new art for shock and other 10th edition cards on the wizards site.
    Butcher of Words. Slant

Made by Spiderboy4

Quote from Kenaron
    Let's face it, nature doesn't like Knights.
    Grixis Illusionist should have been a Vedalken. With a Lord that grants Islandwalk it could have made Vedalken the iconic creature type of blue.
    hey i have managed to evolve my axolotls by feeding them thyroid glands the thyroxine contained in these gland is enough to change these water dwelling creatures into land based creatures
    Posted by: Tay Collins | January 20, 2010 6:45 AM

Tay, that's not evolution. It's metamorphosis. Evolution means descent with heritable modification โ€“ individuals cannot evolve, unless they're Pokemon.
    Posted by: David Marjanoviฤ‡ | January 20, 2010 8:55 AM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes