[CON] Yoke of the Damned

F
    or
    a few sets now, I've done complete and full set reviews. I started it to see how accurate I could be, but it's certainly not a light task. I'm discussing the new sets when I'm at work and judging all the time, and want to share the ratings with everyone.

As you may have read, in the past I have briefly discussed each card,even all the commons. This is rough both to write and read, as many cards are simply limited fodder.

Re
    cently, I totaled my thoughts and compiled a review of sets on the whole. Without even having a single draft completed, it is not easy to rate themes, colours, chase rares, and such, but it was a fun challenge.

Now the que
    stion I've been needing to ask: should I continue to showcase each common, uncommon, and rare, or is it time to scale back the reviews?I'm grateful for smaller set sizes as it saves time, but is there a point at all or should I cut the single card reviews and focus on the set as a whole?

Of course I have always loved the feedback I received, even from those with whom I disagreed. I intend to again challenge myself to bring all my knowledge and experience to the table before the prerelease in the hopes of being of some use to you all. The question of format for the review and suggestions of what people want to see is of course the point of this thread, however.

That and something else...

Solved!

Yoke of the Damned 1B
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature.
    Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from play, enchanted creature's controller sacrifices it.
    Common

And here's a less painful to read version of what I wrote, as it's actually relevant without the riddle:
    For a few sets now, I've done complete and full set reviews. I started it to see how accurate I could be, but it's certainly not a light task. I'm discussing the new sets when I'm at work and judging all the time, and want to share the ratings with everyone.

As you may have read, in the past I have briefly discussed each card,even all the commons. This is rough both to write and read, as many cards are simply limited fodder.

Recently, I totaled my thoughts and compiled a review of sets on the whole. Without even having a single draft completed, it is not easy to rate themes, colours, chase rares, and such, but it was a fun challenge.

Now the question I've been needing to ask: should I continue to showcase each common, uncommon, and rare, or is it time to scale back the reviews?I'm grateful for smaller set sizes as it saves time, but is there a point at all or should I cut the single card reviews and focus on the set as a whole?

Of course I have always loved the feedback I received, even from those with whom I disagreed. I intend to again challenge myself to bring all my knowledge and experience to the table before the prerelease in the hopes of being of some use to you all. The question of format for the review and suggestions of what people want to see is of course the point of this thread, however.

Corrected, formatted, and the riddle put into tags. But next time, if you REALLY have to riddle the card, please use something different than writing in bold letters of several colors. It breaks the rule that all posts should be easily readable.
    -Car.

Last edited by Caranthir: 1/13/2009 11:06:09 AM

Wizards could put $100 bills in packs and people would complain about how they were folded.

http://www.twitter.com/Dr_Jeebus - Follow me on Twitter!
    Check out www.mtgbrodeals.com for daily content from the brothers of Mu Tau Gamma!
    Number a: that is really annoying to read.
    Number b: I think you could pick a few categories that people would be interested in. Off the top of my head:

Chase rares
    Sleeper rares
    Bomb limited rares
    First pick uncommons
    Chase uncommons
    Combo fodder
    High pick limited commons

and maybe a few more.

EDit: get's it. Starts working it out.

Thanks to spiderboy4 for the sig.

Quote from makingnotches »
    You sir are amazing. You have the patience of a God.
    Please, for the love of god, tell me that's not a riddle.

Because if it is, it looks frustrating.
    taking just the black letters for the first line gives:

a card thats no laughing matter

decoding the rest now..

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true.
    Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for.
    Unless it's death by meteorite.
    " A card that's no laughing matter.

Auras abound

Common of course

Single shot grave pact

Costed like terror"

Aura's abound
    1B

Target player sacrfices a creature?

Thanks to spiderboy4 for the sig.

Quote from makingnotches »
    Quote from Yak
    " A card that's not laughing matter.

Auras abound

Common of course

Single shot grave pact

Costed like terror"

Cookie

EDIT: How did you get that?
    Founder of The [Soundtrack] | My Trades | My Sales |

Thanks to spiderboy4 of High~Light Studios for the awesome banner and avatar!

Quote from Johm000
    Please, for the love of god, tell me that's not a riddle.

Because if it is, it looks frustrating.

Given that the last phrase is not coloured, while the rest of text is, seems to point this out. But I'm not going through that Vietnam! Smile
    One sided Innocent Blood?

Multiplayer Cruel Edict?
    OMG.....it is a riddle.

AH MY BRAIN!

Not even trying to solve the puzzle and making a post only to say this? Spam infraction.
    Last edited by Caranthir: 1/13/2009 11:16:04 AM
    name 1B
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    when enchanted creature is put into a graveyard each opponent sacs a creature.
    Each reality is but the dream of another, and each sleeper a god unknowing.
    We define the boundaries of reality; they don't define us.
    Illus. Goomi.
    Man, I was getting it. Seems like a decent card.

Also, I like your set reviews, Jebus.
    I will concur on one point - dude, that text, please alter it, it hurts me poor eyes ;).

As for the reviews themselves, you put a lot of thought and effort into it, which is much appreciated first of all, but one thing I would like to see might be more format based than anything else.

For example, all cards are (hopefully) useful in one form or another, and when categorizing their use in each I would keep in mind the following categories:

Competitive/Format: (Standard, Extended, Legacy, etc)
    Limited:
    Casual/Format: (like EDH, Prismatic, etc)

At a glance then you could see the ratings, say 1-10 in each group, and get a quick impression of where it might fit in. So if you see a card with a rating no higher than 3 in any category, you get a quick impression that it really sucks.

Also, the tone of the reviews should in general avoid referring to things as "Casual fodder" because in my mind this implies a natural inferiority of Casual to other formats. Emphasis should be placed on the card's positive aspects when possible, while acknowledging that it may have no real usability in more Competitive formats.

But I will also agree that maybe at the end you might have a list of expected Chase Rares, Sleeper Rares, and Over-Hyped Rares, along with useful commons/uncommons.

EDIT: Damn, at the time I wrote this there was only one other post. Bloody people are quick :p. It was a riddle, figures. And yes, Yak, you are one patient bastard :D.
    Last edited by ElricJC: 1/13/2009 10:41:30 AM
    Quote from Blutsau
    name 1B
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    when enchanted creature is put into a graveyard each opponent sacs a creature.

Getting there, but things are a little backwards.

Wizards could put $100 bills in packs and people would complain about how they were folded.

Check out www.mtgbrodeals.com for daily content from the brothers of Mu Tau Gamma!
    a card that's no laughIng matter

Auras abound

Common ofcourse

Single shot gravepact

costed like terror

is the riddle (all the black letters..)

So we've got:
    No Laughing Matter 1B
    Enchantment - Aura
    Whenever enchanted creature is put into graveyard from play, each other player sacrifices a creature
    Last edited by Daiches: 1/13/2009 10:41:07 AM
    NAME 1B
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    Whenever another creature is put into a graveyard from play, enchanted creature's controller sacrifices it.
    [card]Jace Beleren[/card] = Jace Beleren
    [card=Jace Beleren]Jace[/card] = Jace
    Magic CompRules

Scry Rollover Popups for Google Chrome

The first rule of Cursecatcher is, You do not talk about Cursecatcher.
    Quote from Nis
    NAME 1B
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    Whenever another creature is put into a graveyard from play, enchanted creature's controller sacrifices it.

Now we just need a card name...

It's probably actually
    57 black mana Yoke of the Damned (Enchantment - Aura) Common

Yoke of the Damned 1B
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant Creature
    Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from play, enchanted creature's controller sacrifices enchanted creature.

Ugh, that wording is ugly on my part.

Edit, Sarnath'd on the reversal.
    Quote from Sobiius
    It's probably actually
    57 black mana Yoke of the Damned (Enchantment - Aura) Common

Yoke of the Damned 1B
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant Creature
    Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from play, enchanted creature's controller sacrifices enchanted creature.

Ugh, that wording is ugly on my part.

Edit, Sarnath'd on the reversal.

Awkward wording, but this is correct.

Cool I like to kill DCs. uhm... constructed pro'lly not worth it but nice little card.
    Each reality is but the dream of another, and each sleeper a god unknowing.
    We define the boundaries of reality; they don't define us.
    Illus. Goomi.
    Huh, interesting card. The ability to two-for one your opponent if you can kill the enchanted creature.
    Quote from Nis
    Yoke of the damned 1B
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature

I guess we can use it to off collossi, but tbh, i preferred my version!
    Meh. You work harder to hit with a creature targeted Cruel Edict.

Interesting diplomacy card for multiplayer.
    [card]Jace Beleren[/card] = Jace Beleren
    [card=Jace Beleren]Jace[/card] = Jace
    Magic CompRules

Scry Rollover Popups for Google Chrome

The first rule of Cursecatcher is, You do not talk about Cursecatcher.
    Yeah, the card is actually just limited fodder, seeing as it's soft removal. The good part is that it's anyone's graveyard which makes it more useful for limited.

Actually, black seems to be fairly light on removal for limited, as most of the removal is red and damaged based. This card works great with Bone Splinters though, and they both work great with Puppet Conjurer. The more I think about it, the more playable for limited this seems. But yeah, feedback on the stuff I wrote is also appreciated, as it was both a question and a riddle, lol.

#edit: It's hard to compare to an edict as those let your opponent choose, whereas this is targeted. You'd have to compare it to other delayed removal, which they don't print that much of. (Other auras that kill the creature at the end of its controller's next turn and such)

Quote from stealthbadger
    I guess we can use it to off collossi, but tbh, i preferred my version!

you have to be able to enchant the creature in order for it to be sacrificed....not so much an answer for collossi
    Quote from mrrebel
    you have to be able to enchant the creature in order for it to be sacrificed....not so much an answer for collossi

Maybe he was thinking Darksteel Colossus. That's what I thought when he said it.

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes