[CON] Vagrant Plowbeasts, View from Above, Skyward Eye Prophets

From an unknown friendly source and I believe they are quite accurate, combining with my own little information

Vagrant Plowbeasts 5GW
    Creature - Beast (uncommon)

1: Regenerate target creature with power 5 or greater.
    6/6

View from Above 1U
    Instant (uncommon)

Target creature gains flying until end of the turn.
    If you control a white permanent, return View from Above into you hand.

Skyward Eye Prophets 3GWU
    Creature - Human Wizard

Vigilance
    T: Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land card, put it into play. Otherwise, put it into your hand.
    They lament the doom that is coming to Bant without realizing the part their own leaders have played in it.
    3/3
    Uncommon 125/145

View From Above has a pretty awesome art
    ATTACHMENTS
    • 22_3
    Last edited by ThrivingMagpies: 1/25/2009 1:50:11 AM
    view is very solid in limited. the prophets are just bad. what's the point that late in the game?

e: ahh, misread the card. nevermind, prophets are decent.. still would have liked more P/T though.
    Last edited by NightfallGemini: 1/25/2009 1:38:20 AM
    Quote from xChaospherex

Take your monoblack deck, then set aside 14 swamps. Add 4 Creeping Tar Pits, 4 Darkslick Shores, 4 Drowned Catacombs, and 2 Jwar isle Refuge and add 4 Jace, the Mindsculptors. Your monoblack deck is instantly better. Better yet, drop those refuges, throw in some islands and some mana leaks, and lo and behold, you're now playing a real deck. Congratulations. Welcome to the world of competitive M:TG.
    I like the prophets, way costly but a nice totality with vigilance and a decent body. It won't see constructed play because of the cost IMO. But its still a nice all around card that I will want to use more casually and in EDH. If it was a 4/4 and was less likely to die to spout etc it would have been much closer to playable.
    View is... decent. Certainly needs the right deck. Plowbeasts seems like Platoon- expensive, but worth the mana that late in the game. I just worry about the number of RFG effects now...

I like the Prophets because of Vigilance and "Draw a card every turn", is not that bad. 6 mana is hardly overcosted. Toughness is fragile though... would have been happier if he was a 3/4.

Hmm. Not really sure what to make of these guys. If I have enough mana to play them then I probably don't need the mana-fixing nor the acceleration they produce.

Draw an extra card every turn is awesome though, and being to attack while doing it is even better. Still at 6 mana I don't want too many of them in my deck in the first place, and the 3 toughness on a 6 mana investment is disheartening.
    Vagrant Plowbeasts- This will be a strong card and a major nuisance to deal with in limited a 6/6 for 7 is bad enough but giving all that fat in a deck the ability to regenerate is very strong. Limited strong(bombish in the right deck), Draft high pick(again in the right deck), but constructed meh(because of the cost).

View from Above- This is a cool little card, it's Jump for 1 more mana but with white permanents it'll come back to your hand each time, limited solid, constructed nothing.

Skyward Eye Prophets- expensive but very nice, a 3/3 vigilance is okay but the ability to use Coiling Oracle's come into play ability every turn is a massive advantage engine. Limited strong, Draft high pick(in the right colors), but constructed too expensive.

Machius proudly supports R_E's right to Rumour!
    Quote from Orange Mage
    In general, Machius is right on the button. You should follow his line of thinking.
    Quote from ThrivingMagpies
    From an unknown friendly source and I believe they are quite accurate, combining with my own little information

Vagrant Plowbeasts 5GW
    Creature - Beast (uncommon)

1: Regenerate target creature with power 5 or greater.
    6/6

View from Above 1U
    Instant (uncommon)

Target creature gains flying until end of the turn.
    If you control a white permanent, return View from Above into you hand.

Creature - Human Wizard

Vigilance
    T: Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land card, put it into play. Otherwise, put it into your hand.
    They lament the doom that is coming to Bant without realizing the part their own leaders have played in it.
    3/3
    Uncommon 125/145

View From Above has a pretty awesome art

the prophets i really wished had a smaller cost and evern body. it has a good draw a card potential. much like a tap happy coling oracle.

the view from above mech is pretty solid. buyback for free. too bad the effect is marginal

plowbeast = filler
    Quote from ateneo10
    the prophets i really wished had a smaller cost and evern body. it has a good draw a card potential. much like a tap happy coling oracle.

Exactly what came to my mind: nice to see a "tap : do a Coiling oracle"! Rolleyes
    Too hard to cast and too fragile, but I consider trying to brake it with Intruder alarm...
    one of these is a common, otherwise there's an uncommon spoiled elsewhere that's a common. with these 3 that becomes 41 uncommons instead of 40. Could a number cruncher check my math?
    I must confess the view from above art is wonderfull, just as the other art I have seen so far Smile Looking forward to get the cards in hand Smile
    Quote from ThrivingMagpies

Creature - Human Wizard

Vigilance
    3/3
    Uncommon 125/145

These guys make my johnny smile. Now all I need is a way to untap him 50 times or so. Off to gatherer to look for a silly combo!!!

silly combo found (though not that good)

Stonybrook Schoolmaster + Intruder Alarm + Paradise Mantle + these guys

Ton of tokens, every land in your deck in play, every spell in your deck in hand enough mana in your pool and on the field to play everything.
    Last edited by Joystickgenie: 1/25/2009 3:08:05 PM
    Vagrant Plowbeast is total crap, which is not surprising with the 5 power theme. View from above is fun at first sight but uninteresting as all "give flying and only flying" cards. When will WotC understand that if we want flying creature, we will play flying creatures? And no giving flying is not a decent combat trick.
    The prophets are one of the worst cards ever printed. And I see people getting hyped about it. I guaranteee that if it was monocolored (5G), which would make it better, everybody would be throwing it to the trash bin without a second thought. But because it is tricolored, everyone gets the impression they got to save it somehow, cause all those color symbols and these borders are sooo cooool...
    Check my

Deviant page
    ...if you want.
    The first card looks much like Trolls of Tel-Jilad to me.

Many thanks to spiderboy4 at High~Light studios.
    Vagrant Plowbeasts is a remake of an indestructible rare that makes other creatures indestructible, but it regenerates instead. That is a waste of time. I don't care if the card is good in limited. I care that Wizards ran out of ideas for fatties and we haven't even got to the last set yet.
    I would be happy to see the Prophets be 3/5 so vigilance actually matters and they at least have a chance to survive a late game combat. They could have been at least 3/4 imo so that they survive most common removal.

Edit: Okay, forgot about exalted ^^
    The 5 power theme proves itself to bore people to death again with boring designs!
    The other 2 are quite interesting though.
    Even in limited, I'm worried about the Prophets being too slow. To be good, you have to play them in a deck that can make it to 6 mana without being under pressure. I think this means lots of Oblivion Rings/Resounding Silences.
    I'm a mathematics postdoc researching evolution and complex systems. Learn about these ideas here!
    I think people are going to underestimate the Prophets because of the body size. In the land of fatties, this guy's not that big a deal. He might just survive the turn.... long enough to get Oversoul/indestructable. Then watch the no-cost card draw go to town. Somebody is definitely going to try and break this guy.

What was the elf that gave 3 colored mana for a 1 mana investment? Am I sniffing combo here?
    Skyward Eye Prophets: The new Coiling Oracle? B.

View from Above: Lifted by Clouds anybody? C.

Vagrant Ploughbeasts: A-A-C booster draft will certainly be fun. C+.
    Now Playing:
    Standard
    RogueDeckWins (mono-B aggro)
    AngelDusk G/W/U control)
    Land of Confusion (B/R/u Blightning Beatdown
    Shore/Bind (G/U aggro w/ mistbind clique)

Casual
    Hostile Takeover (U/B Tutor)
    Stompy (Mono-G super aggro)

Ghost of Jimi Hendrix 4 president 2012! Grin
    While you might not need the land at the end of the game, I look at the Prophets as a way to get your excess lands out of your draw. In casual, I'd just throw Steel of the Godhead or Shield of the Oversoul on it, but that goes without saying on any casual Bant deck.
    Quote from jcsuperstar
    Even in limited, I'm worried about the Prophets being too slow. To be good, you have to play them in a deck that can make it to 6 mana without being under pressure. I think this means lots of Oblivion Rings/Resounding Silences.

In limited, I think it is better for him to be slow. If it comes out too fast, it probably won't last long. If it comes out latter in the game, it can help you get more cards in your hand (unless you reveal a land) when your hand is almost empty. I really like this card a lot. Thats my 2 cents on this guy.

Banner by KrackShott

the skyward eye prophets are great in limited. 5 mana is the standard cost for a 3/3 flier(yes they printed a 3/3 for 4 in this set but it has the drawback of being extra vulnurable as an artifact. the extra colors are fair to allow vigilence. the tap ability makes it great though. It at worst beats for 3 and draws an extra card, but if its a land, you can put it into play!?!?! i really dont see why wizards added that except to make it more green, but you cant argue with the card advantage.
    Quote from ateneo10

the view from above mech is pretty solid. buyback for free. too bad the effect is marginal

Unless you are being pounded by a 6/6 flyer, in which case being able to make one of your chumps jump every turn would be a lifesaver. Or sending your big beast over the top, past their army of tokens

Obviously it's a bant card, not esper as esper has plety of flyers already.

Still quite marginal, but any instant effect that is reusable is good.

Also with the buyback (provided you have the mana) you can make ALL your creatures fly. If it was an echantment that said All your creatures have U1:gains flying until EOT, would it be playable? This is stronger than that, since it lives safely in your hand.

Quote from Dark_drac0
    the skyward eye prophets are great in limited. 5 mana is the standard cost for a 3/3 flier(yes they printed a 3/3 for 4 in this set but it has the drawback of being extra vulnurable as an artifact. the extra colors are fair to allow vigilence. the tap ability makes it great though. It at worst beats for 3 and draws an extra card, but if its a land, you can put it into play!?!?! i really dont see why wizards added that except to make it more green, but you cant argue with the card advantage.

Perhaps as a drawback?

If I have the 6 mana to cast the prophet, I probably don’t need to put any more down. However, if there is a realm razer in the game, or my opp has a nyxathid I would rather keep the land in my hand than play it.

If I want it down I can put it down, chance of having any land left in hand when 6 are down is slim, so the only problem is if you draw two consecutive lands, in which case you probbaly have nothing to cast anyway.

Double post merged. --Binary
    Last edited by Binary: 2/9/2009 9:53:41 AM
    I think the skyward eye prophets is probably not so great.

Also, impossible to "break" in constructed, because getting an extra card a turn is achievable a lot quicker and more reliably using other cards: (1) he's the most removable card type, creatures (2) worse, he's a non-black creature, 3 power or less, so almost everything kills him. I suppose we should be happy he's not a 2/2... (3) He costs 6 to get into play.

Even in limited, he's mediocre. You even have to reveal the card. When a guy costs 6 mana, you are able to play any land you draw off him anyway, so his ability is moot. In fact, maybe in some situations, you'd rather keep the land in hand (opponent plays blightning and you've already got 8 land in play)

3/3 vigilance guy for 6, and takes TWO turns later before he's card advantage (first active turn, just replaces himself)... in the worst color in Alara.

I suppose white now has even greater removal... but that means that Naya and Esper are going to poach even heavier into Bant for AAC.
    Quote from Joystickgenie

silly combo found (though not that good)

Stonybrook Schoolmaster + Intruder Alarm + Paradise Mantle + these guys

Ton of tokens, every land in your deck in play, every spell in your deck in hand enough mana in your pool and on the field to play everything.

Intruder Alarm + Skyward Eye Prophets + Seed the Land is a lot easier to pull off and has the added benefit of thanking you for putting lands into play. For added hilarity, run Stone-seeder Hierophant to untap lands and keep playing things. Remember though: this deck would run off the basis of a 3cc and 4cc Enchantment and a 6cc creature.
    Last edited by Dreamscribe: 1/28/2009 6:51:54 PM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes