[CON] Manaforce Mace, Aerie Mystics, Quenchable Fire, Knotvine Mystic

So I am filling in CaptainBlack's card Grin

First off bat is the Domain equipment:

Manaforce Mace
    (Artifact - Equipment) Uncommon
    Domain - Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each basic land type among lands you control.
    Equip 3

Unfortunately, the casting cost is a massive 4.
    May still be playable in draft, particularly sealed.

Then the bird:

Aerie Mystics
    4W
    (Creature - Bird Cleric?) Uncommon
    Flying
    1GU: Creatures you control gain shroud until end of turn (may not need to tap..)
    3/3

Then the stupid fire:

Quenchable Fire
    3R
    Sorcery Common
    Quenchable Fire deals 3 damage to target player. That player pays U before your next upkeep or Quenchable Fire does 3 more damage to him/her

It seems that the U could be paid anytime before your next upkeep, so the other player can choose when to pay the U

Knotvine Mystic :symr::symg::symw:
    Creature - Elf Druid (Uncommon)
    :1mana::symtap:; Add :symr::symg::symw: to your mana pool
    2/2

Does not have any 2nd ability..
    Last edited by Caranthir: 1/26/2009 12:28:28 AM
    (Creature - Elf? Druid?) Uncommon

:1mana::symtap:; Add:symr::symg::symw: to your mana pool

2/2

looks pretty cool, no sac? its a darkritual every turn für your naya ramp.

2cnd turn this 3 turn 6 mana?
    ---------------------------------
    My old poll: "Returning to Ulgrotha"
    ---------------------------------
    Supporter of the theory 1+1=2 aka take the simple solution...:rolleyes:
    You're probably missing tap for the mystic or it infinte combos with itself. edit: damn your ninja edits magpie :

And the fire is quite decent.
    Last edited by Username9001: 1/24/2009 8:01:17 AM
    That is right, you can have 6 mana on turn 3 if situation is right!

So this could be another powerful uncom.
    Good that it is not a rare, and Conflux looks like a "uncom" set..
    Thankfully, they do not turn in to "Cashseize" set..
    The Mystics probably need to tap. I have not noticed that part, but it makes more sense if it has to tap maybe..

Quenchable Fire :3mana::symr:
    Sorcery Common

Quenchable Fire deals 3 damage to target player. That player pays blue mana before your next upkeep or Quenchable Fire does 3 more damage to him/her

Seems like a solid card. Can be 6 damage to the dome if opponent isn't playing blue.
    Manaforce Mace- Much worse now it costs 4 instead of 2, still limited playable.

Aeries Mystic- nice card a 3/3 flyer for 4W is limited solid and the fact that the shroud giving doesn't require the originally rumored T is very nice. Limited fairly high pick.

Quenchable Fire- still as originally rumored, and still only playable in a limited sideboard against decks without access to blue(6 damage for 4 is okay but 3 damage never will be).

Knotvine Mystic- no 2nd ability but the mana ability is great and a 2/2 for 3 is solid. Limited brilliant, constructed may see some play in naya based ramps, probably see a fair amount in block.

Edit: Mystic should have an until end of turn clause.

Machius proudly supports R_E's right to Rumour!
    Quote from Orange Mage
    In general, Machius is right on the button. You should follow his line of thinking.
    Ugh, so few card in the set, so many filler. At 3 the fire would have been pretty playable as a sideboard card, that's unplayable. If at least it was an instant... god. Manaforce mace... lol, SEVEN MANA for a little pump? It was limited filler at 2, figure at 4.
    Current living in Gipsyland
    I really like the design idea behind quenchable fire. it fits the set. hope to see more of this... maybe higher powerlvl? Smile
    Quote from Shaddock
    Seems like a solid card. Can be 6 damage to the dome if opponent isn't playing blue.

Yeah, this could be a good sealed card. Probably not maindeck material with the 5-color push though.

Manaforce Mace is killed by the equip cost.
    Quote from ThrivingMagpies

Aerie Mystics 4W
    (Creature - Bird Cleric?) Uncommon

Flying
    1GU, Tap: Creatures you control gain shroud
    3/3

Is this correct or is the shroud only granted until end of turn?
    Quote from megatog201
    This is a beast... Literally lol
    I really like the design idea behind quenchable fire. it fits the set. hope to see more of this... maybe higher powerlvl? Smile
    Quote from Nocturnus

Hmm, deja vu. Must be a glitch in the Matrix. Grin
    Seems like Manamace was one of those cards that was too cheap at first and tore up opposition in playtesting. So instead of properly balancing it they just added to it's casting and equip cost until it was near useless. That said I would still run it in limited casual it's just that it could have been easily 1 mana cheaper for example.
    With the hard push for multi-color, we might see one or two other Mystics - I really hope this becomes a cycle. 3 mana for 1 mana activation on a stick with 2 power to get out of range of the ping? I think this little fellow is going to see more play than we suspect.
    Manamace isnt that bad, just look at Vulshok Battlegear. So for a possible +4/+4 or even +5/+5 which isnt unlikely you have to pay 1 more to play it.

Seems reasonable for limited. Dont know why everyone thinks it would be a filler at 2 mana..

Bird is ok, either attack for 3 in the air or protect your other creatures. Dilemma, but good one.

Fire reminds me on Searing Flesh against the right opponent, but rather sideboard material as long as 3 of 5 shards have access to blue and domain is being pushed. So even the blueless naya shard can pay it. Rather crappy.

Banner by spiderboy4 Smile
    Would love to use Mystic, Bloomtender and Thousand-Year Elixir in the same deck to cast something large really fast. Probably something for casual but still it seems fun.
    The Quenchable Fire is wrong in the spoiler list..

It should be "before your next upkeep"

I.e. I cast the fire in my own turn
    then the opp can either pay U this turn, or in his own turn..

so it is not "their own upkeep"
    I am not sure what is the exactly wording though.

nice =) Nice addition to my naya theme decks!

Reality is but a perception of your
    being --

Visit my blog!!! - http://huffalump-magic.blogspot.com/

"The brain is wider than the sky,
    For, put them side by side,
    The one the other will include
    With ease, and you beside."
    —Emily Dickinson

For sales or trade, visit my blog or visit my ebay blog for my listings :http://myworld.ebay.com/arcane7828

Oooh Dicey:
    [dice=1]100[/dice]
    Manaforce Mace is an ok limited card. Equipment usually is if it gives p/t boosted.

Aerie Mystics is decent in limited. 3 Evasive power is handy, although having to hold it back to get mileage out of its ability isn't great.

Quenchable Fire: If your opponent isn't playing blue, 6 damage is really awesome. On the other hand, if your opponent is playing blue, 3 damage is really bad. Limited only card, and even then as a sideboard option for aggressive decks vs non-blue decks.

Knotvine Mystic: It's really nice mana acceleration, letting you power out some of you better 5 power guys turn 4 (if you get RGW turn 3). Of course, it doesn't do much in terms of fixing mana.
    All thanks to a regular source of disappointment.
    Quote from Megiddo
    that's like that time when I got mistaken for kim jong un
    All but Manaforce Mace seem to be decent cards. Knotvine Mystic is awesome! I'm goint to put Knotvine Mystic in my Naya ramp deck that I've been working on.

Banner by KrackShott

Quote from ced395
    Quenchable Fire: If your opponent isn't playing blue, 6 damage is really awesome. On the other hand, if your opponent is playing blue, 3 damage is really bad. Limited only card, and even then as a sideboard option for aggressive decks vs non-blue decks.

2R would have been absolutely insane, being much better than Browbeat against non-blue decks (1 extra damage + the ability to kill players with it). It's not maindeckable, as I foresee a situation where decks would purposely include ways to pay for that U to avoid that 3 damage, and it's certainly not good against any kind of control, but otherwise it's pretty good. Definitely constructed worthy in sideboards against non-control decks (while all typically include blue).
    Quote from ThrivingMagpies

Creature - Elf Druid (Uncommon)
    :1mana::symtap:; Add :symr::symg::symw: to your mana pool
    2/2

Turn 1: Forest, Birds of Paradise
    Turn 2: Mountain/Plains, This
    Turn 3: Land, Meglonoth!

If that could be pulled off, that would be crazy...
    What would you attempt... if you knew you could not fail?
    Quenchable Fire: Hey, lets punish people for NOT playing blue, because there wasnt already enough reason to play it in the first place. Should have hit creatures because 3R sorcery speed 6 damage isnt even very good.
    Quote from Elysium
    In what universe? If you build a deck like that, and ever draw that hand, I will personally come to wherever you live, perform complicated acts of awestruck *********, then disembowel myself to escape the world that allowed something like to to occur and validate you.
    The text on Quenchable Fire cannot be correct here, since as written there is no time when the opportunity for the opponent to pay U goes on the stack.

It could be written as "At the beginning of your next upkeep, that player may pay U. If he/she does not, Quenchable Fire deals an additional 3 damage to him/her."

A more interesting ability would be "At the beginning of your next upkeep, if that player has spent blue mana since Quenchable Fire resolved, Quenchable Fire deals an additional 3 damage to him/her."
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes