[CON] Countersquall and Volcanic Fallout

Quote from zesty234
    I like to play as well, but my riddles, have truth to them...... first off... countersquall, is exactly negate, yet it does a little bonus damage based on it's casting cost, which ironically is a Esper Owl in the first set of Alara,... so it isn't as good at fighting the Faeries as we'd all hope they'd be. So, how can we help fight faeries,..... we need something red, something that does damage to all creatures and all players, ...... and lets make it uncounterable,...seems like a great deal considering it does the same quantity of damage as countersquall does when it resolves, and all for a cozy casting cost of 3 mana, 1 of which is colorless...... And sorry about posting here..... me and the Rumor Mill had...... well a VOLCANIC FALLOUT.

Enjoy,

Zesty;)

EDIT:

Final Versions:

Countersquall UB
    Instant (U)
    Counter target non-creature spell. That spell's controller loses 2 life.

Volcanic Fallout 1RR
    Instant (U)
    Volcanic Fallout can't be countered.
    Volcanic Fallout deals 2 damage to all creatures and players.
    Last edited by urzassedatives: 1/5/2009 2:32:24 PM
    Esper Owl = Tidehollow Strix?

So: Countersquall UB

Counter target noncreature spell. It's controller loses life equal to it's casting cost.

Edit: Maybe too good, imagine this countering a Cruel Ultimatum. Grin
    Last edited by tutka: 1/5/2009 7:00:58 AM
    Quote from Noman Peopled

There are some banding changes. Even R&D doesn't care.

MTG Rules Adviser
    The counterspell's Nirvana???:o

blue mana Diplomated Tolarian Arcanist blue mana

"These benighted worlds are thick with ignorance. I will educate them. They will listen, or they will die."
    Countersquall UB Counter target non-creature spell. It's controller loses 2 life.
    It says it does the same damage as Volcanic Fallout so it should be 2 damage if Volcanic does 2.

Volcanic Fallout 1RR ~ can't be countered. ~ deals 2 damage to all creatures and all players.
    Um... Woot!!
    me and the Rumor Mill had...... well a VOLCANIC FALLOUT.

That would lead me to believe that the burn spell's name is Volcanic Fallout. Why else would he/she/it put that much emphasis on that phrase?
    So yeah, pretty sure that red spell will be a sorcery, not positive if it will be mono red but it seems to fit. Sure beats the pants off of Sulfuric Blast if it's correctly spoiled.
    Tournament Victories:
    Indianapolis Regionals 2009 (Standard)
    Worldwake Gameday (Limited)

See my alters here: http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/jimmy2do/Cards/
    Quote from djosh
    Countersquall UB Counter target non-creature spell. It's controller loses 2 life.
    It says it does the same damage as Volcanic Fallout so it should be 2 damage if Volcanic does 2.

I think we have a winner.
    Quote from Noman Peopled

There are some banding changes. Even R&D doesn't care.

MTG Rules Adviser
    So we have:

Countersquall UB
    Instant (Common)
    Counter target Non-Creature Spell.
    Countersquall deals 2 damage to that spell's controller.

Volcanic Fallout 1RR
    Instant (Uncommon)
    Volcanic Fallout cannot be countered.
    Volcanic Fallout deals 2 damage to each creature and player.
    Chumping Engine 3
    Artifact (Rare)
    Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from play you may put X 0/1 Chump Artifact Creature tokens into play where X is that creature's Power.
    "Soon the Pointless Saviour will come...*splat*" - 1/1 Vanilla's last words.
    Volcanic fallout is pretty nice but I hope this is not the Fae killer card because I can't see it fitting into many decks that have trouble with Fae.
    First post updated.

So there's a new anti-Fae card and a new weapon for Fae?

I quite like Countersquall, seems fairly decent.
    Last edited by Johm000: 1/5/2009 7:10:32 AM
    Quote from Johm000

So we have:

Countersquall UG,UR,1U?
    Counter target non-creature spell. Countersquall deals damage to it's controller equal to that spell's converted mana cost. OR Countersquall deals 2 damage to that spell's controller.

and

Burn Spell 1RR
    Burn Spell can't be countered.
    Burn Spell deals 2 damage to all creatures and players.

Maybe?

EDIT:

Final Versions:

Countersquall UB
    Instant (C)

Volcanic Fallout 1RR
    Sorcery (U)
    Volcanic Fallout can't be countered.
    Volcanic Fallout deals 2 damage to all creatures and players.

Well there we have it. A counter faeries have been dying for and a card ment to kill faeries into the ground...
    My understanding is Fallout is an instant.

Also nice job rumour mill and mods.... Instead of dealing with riddles now we dont really get spoilers... good call there.
    Trade with me

Yes i am the same guy who trades/sells on MOTL AND Wizards of the Coast and i trade on POJO.
    Quote from Fatguy Poolshark
    My understanding is Fallout is an instant.

How did you get that? if it´s instant, it´s really nice. Too bad for the double RR otherwise it could be very splashable.

Countersquall seems really nice. and it hadnt nothing to do with the speculation around it. lol

Do we have the rarity of the cards? they seem uncommon to me, perhaps even common the counter.
    Playing with 5CC in Highlander since 2004
    I think for me, this can safely replace Firespout for my anti-Fae sideboard plans. Vote 1 Volcanic Fallout. But it's a pretty fun and well designed piece of hate.
    Hmmm. I'd hope that Fallout is Instant speed, if not then it'd have to be common. I'd also wonder if countersquall deals damage or causes loss of life (not that there's much damage prevention around atm anyway, so it doesn't really matter). I'd guess from the riddle that it deals damage (since it uses the word 'damage').
    Chumping Engine 3
    Artifact (Rare)
    Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from play you may put X 0/1 Chump Artifact Creature tokens into play where X is that creature's Power.
    Countersquall ub
    Instant (C)

OMFG. My favorite spell ever. Already. Move over Undermine... Holy crap. It's a good time to be a UB player. Grin

Volcanic Fallout is just plain stupid. In every format. Slice and Dice seems less impressive, seeing as the extra damage (+2 to the player) is worth the loss of drawing a card... I think anyways.

Wow, Conflux is finally starting to deliver- we now have 4 amazing cards! And only 1 of them is rare! Yummy. ^^
    I hope that volcanic fallout is an instant, but it will not to happen. Basically it is a pyroclasm for one extra mana in exchange for ''cant be countered'' ability and 2 damage to players. It is fine at sorcery speed. We want to hose faerie but no making a imbalanced card for others, like red deck wins.
    Also i want to say good job to mods, after ''removing'' with such a passionate way the puzzles they will have less job to do since we will get less or no spoilers. That was the best thing to do, crippling rumor mill.

Quote from Fodder
    I'd also wonder if countersquall deals damage or causes loss of life (not that there's much damage prevention around atm anyway, so it doesn't really matter). I'd guess from the riddle that it deals damage (since it uses the word 'damage').

From a point of flavor it think it would be loss of life. i think it fits better in a UB counter. Damage would be more of a UR counter, IMO.
    Playing with 5CC in Highlander since 2004
    And Volcanic Fallout is the fix to Faeries?? Ahahahahahahahah Laugh :laugh::laugh:

Why play Volcanic Fallout instead of Jund Charm?? Jund Charm is so great.
    Tnx to Nakamura for the awesome signature
    And Volcanic Fallout is the fix to Faeries?? Ahahahahahahahah

Why play Volcanic Fallout instead of Jund Charm?? Jund Charm is so great.

...Umm... Yes. Volcanic Fallout completely wrecks Faeries. Jund Charm can be countered. By Flashfreeze, Spellstutter, Cryptic... etc.

And honestly, I think it IS an instant. It's double R (not just 1 colorless more than Pyroclasm), it hurts you too... Firespout costs 3 for 3 damage, that you can control. I think it's an instant.
    Quote from Mythrandir
    From a point of flavor it think it would be loss of life. i think it fits better in a UB counter. Damage would be more of a UR counter, IMO.

I agree. It does fit better with the flavour of UB, but the name squall suggests damage rather than life-loss and the word "damage" in the riddlette.

That said, they're both good cards and musing on the fine-points won't change that. Thinking about it, Fallout would be better as Sorcery, otherwise it'll become a staple hoser against Devour as well as Fae ("I'll drop my Elder and devour three tokens for a 10/10" - "no you won't, your tokens die in volcanoey doom and you get an overpriced creature for my Thoctar to munch on next turn").
    Chumping Engine 3
    Artifact (Rare)
    It shouldn't be common nor instant. If only just because Pyroclasm is an uncommon, so its a souped-up version.

That said, they're both good cards and musing on the fine-points won't change that. Thinking about it, Fallout would be better as Sorcery, otherwise it'll become a staple hoser against Devour as well as Fae ("I'll drop my Elder and devour three tokens for a 10/10" - "no you won't, your tokens die in volcanoey doom and you get an overpriced creature for my Thoctar to munch on next turn").
    I don't think you can respond to devour. Devour doesn't use the stack last time I checked so that doesn't matter.

Also Volcanic will be nice against faeries, the only defense faeries had against mass burn was to counter. I don't know how good this card will be other then against faeries. Firespout is probably the better card in most situations, the 2 damage to the opponent might make a diference, but when it comes to wiping the board which is the goal for this card, firespout seems the better choice.
    Last edited by djosh: 1/5/2009 8:01:11 AM
    Um... Woot!!
    Quote from Masamune
    ...Umm... Yes. Volcanic Fallout completely wrecks Faeries. Jund Charm can be countered. By Flashfreeze, Spellstutter, Cryptic... etc.

And honestly, I think it IS an instant. It's double R (not just 1 colorless more than Pyroclasm), it hurts you too... Firespout costs 3 for 3 damage, that you can control. I think it's an instant.

Istant >>> Sorcery
    Graveyard Hate >>> Nothing

I think that Volcanic Fallout is just so useless like was Vexing Shusher.
    Tnx to Nakamura for the awesome signature
    Quote from 5m0k3r
    Istant >>> Sorcery
    Graveyard Hate >>> Nothing

I think that Volcanic Fallout is just so useless like was Vexing Shusher.

This makes me think you're never played standard at all.

Faeries can get rid of Shusher quite easily - Terror, Agony Warp, Sower of Temptation, etc - but this would just wreck them. They only have Thoughtseize and Vendilion Clique to stop it.

Besides, this card is good v Elves in EXT too. I honestly don't think it's instant. If it is, then every deck will try to run it somehow.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes