[CON] Aven Trailblazer, Ember Weaver, Rhox Bodyguard

Aven Trailblazer 2W
    Creature - Bird Soldier
    Flying
    Domain - Aven Trailblazer's toughtness is equal to the number of basic land types among lands you control.
    "The bird wore the form of a man, bereft of filigree. Why do the Texts not speak of it?"
    - Belator of Esper
    2/*
    Common 4/145

Ember Weaver 2G
    Creature - Spider
    Reach
    As long as you control a red permanent, Ember Weaver gets +1/+0 and has first strike
    "Each night, the sun unravels and blows away. Each day, the spiders set a new one in the sky."
    - Sunseeder myth
    2/3
    Common 81/145

Rhox Bodyguard 3GW
    Creature - Rhino Monk Soldier
    Exalted
    When Rhox Bodyguard comes into play, you gain 3 life.
    An enlightened soul caged in a body made for battle.
    2/3
    Common 122/145
    Aven Trailblazer- Limited solid, it'll usually be a 2/3 for 2W which is better than the curve.

Ember Weaver- a 2/3 with reach for 2G is nice and if you have the red permanent a 3/3 first striker with reach is very strong. Limited solid.

Rhox Bodyguard- 3 Life plus a 2/3 exalted for 3WG, nothing brilliant but still an allround solid creature for limited.

Machius proudly supports R_E's right to Rumour!
    Quote from Orange Mage
    In general, Machius is right on the button. You should follow his line of thinking.
    good in limited. looks like going to the prerelease for fun (besides hoping to get good rares) would be a good idea after all..
    Image removed due to an invalid URL:

ChibiSwan! YOU ROCK! :p

...........Shin on the textless Cryptic Command
    Quote from Shinjutsei

I...I really have nothing to say.

This is EPIC.
    Is it just a feeling or is there a lot of fillers in this set?
    Ember Weaver is a very solid limited card. Without the Red its decent, and with it you get a 3/3 First Strike for 3.
    My Blog
    Image removed due to its file extension: http://media-dominaria.cursecdn.com/attachments/64/348/635032487433044445.png 76
    Rhox Bodyguard: DO NOT WANT.

Aven Trailblazer: SORT OF WANT. Although the flavor text is awesome. It's an almost tangible feeling of "wat."

Ember Weaver: WANT.

for limited of course.
    More limited goodies, although i like Ember Weaver in my R/G Beats.
    Quote from KingChewie
    Is it just a feeling or is there a lot of fillers in this set?

There are definitely many cards that aren't so flashy in text but are dynamic over the course of a limited game.

I don't think there are as many unplayables (or almost unplayables) as in Shards of Alara though.
    Whoa, 3 great limited cards.

I can't wait to play this in sealed and draft.
    Assuming the info is true and correct:

Quote from ThrivingMagpies
    Aven Trailblazer 2W
    Creature - Bird Soldier
    Flying
    Domain - Aven Trailblazer's toughtness is equal to the number of basic land types among lands you control.
    "The bird wore the form of a man, bereft of filigree. Why do the Texts not speak of it?"
    - Belator of Esper
    2/*
    Common 4/145

Ember Weaver 2G
    Creature - Spider
    Reach
    As long as you control a red permanent, Ember Weaver gets +1/+0 and has first strike
    "Each night, the sun unravels and blows away. Each day, the spiders set a new one in the sky."
    - Sunseeder myth
    2/3
    Common 81/145

Rhox Bodyguard 3GW
    Exalted
    2/3
    Common 122/145

The Aven would be pretty sweet. Requires you to have 4 different basic lands in play to be worth the mana, but in the right deck that isn't too hard. Nice that it's common.

The Spider is pretty wicked, I think. That's a pretty nasty critter if you have something red, which zooish creature decks like that tend to have. Essentially a 3/3 with reach and first strike for (less than) 1 mana red mana green mana which makes it a playable common.

The bodyguard would have been so much better at 2GW and uncommon. Exalted can be pretty much added for free for the price of one toughness on the creature. The 3 life, maybe one power on the creature. You could look at it as a 3/4 vanilla for 3GW. So either drop the cost by 1 mana or give it flash, imo.

B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana W/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana
    If this post is in a "running tally" thread, I'm referring to the price of the item on my website. If it's in Card Creation, I design for Portal 4, a hypothetical set legal in Legacy constructed only. Smile
    Trailblazer will almost always be at least a white Wind Drake, potentially better. Definitely playable in Limited. Awesome flavor text.

Ember Weaver is great for limited, even 2/3 Reach for 2G is pretty good, and with red on table it is great.

The Bodyguard is solid, although paying W more to get a -1/-0 Rhox Charger and instead of trample 3 life...but oh well, it is common.
    Mad 100% Vorthos Spike and Storyline Expert Mad

Former Fact Prospector of the Greek Alliance.
    Let this great clan rest in peace (2001-2011)

>>Banner by Spanglegluppet<<

Ember Weaver 2G
    Creature - Spider
    Reach
    - Sunseeder myth
    2/3
    Common 81/145

Awesomeness! a new pet for my RG Insect deck!!! this if this had flash it'd be unstoppable, but nice work WoTC nonetheless, like the flavor text.:D
    ~Intelligence is Bliss; Ignorance is Denial.

Skill is an ability that relates more so to the type of deck that's built and how said player pilots it. It also relates to the ability to assess the board and use the cards available to you in the most optimal way relative to each situation.
    When a deck is filled with above par cards and every play is solid, there comes a diminishing need to "think" for the lack of wanting to use a better word.

The spider is nice for a common, the rest are filler. I guess even the spider is not strong enough for competitive play, but it will cause some surprises in casual. It's nice to see it is common.

Rhox Bodyguard is overcosted for sure. At 5, the 2/3 body doesn't really matter as it will already be outclassed even in limited, so you get one instance of exalted and some life... one of those 'we add 1 to the fair cost, make it a common and call it a day'-type of designs.

The Trailblazer is just the Wild Griffin variant most sets have.

Many thanks to spiderboy4 at High~Light studios.
    Hey, it's Ballynock Cohort in green! Because we hadn't had enough of that card in limited...

The trailblazer is really good also, pretty much always better than Wild Griffin in this format. (Kinda funny if you accidentally play him with just nonbasics on the table, though - I wonder if this will happen to someone, somewhere)

The Rhox is only good in exalted.dec. Outside it, he's just an overcosted bear+ with crappy lifegain attached.
    Aven Trailblazer: Cheap fliers w/ 2-4 toughness has applications in limited. C.

Ember Weaver: I love efficient beaters like this. T1: Tattermunge Maniac. T2: Smack for 2, Stigma Lasher. T3: Smack for 4, Ember Weaver. T4: Boartusk Liege, smack for 11. B.

Rhox Bodyguard: Crap card plain and simple. Loxodon Hierarch is better in every way. D-
    Now Playing:
    Standard
    RogueDeckWins (mono-B aggro)
    AngelDusk G/W/U control)
    Land of Confusion (B/R/u Blightning Beatdown
    Shore/Bind (G/U aggro w/ mistbind clique)

Casual
    Hostile Takeover (U/B Tutor)
    Stompy (Mono-G super aggro)

Ghost of Jimi Hendrix 4 president 2012! Grin
    Juvenile Gloomwidow saved my bacon back during Sha-Eve Drafts. Ember Weaver I think may do the same thing. Having a potential 3/3 Reach First Striker on the D is very nice, and even a 2/3 Reach on its own is nice, but since everyone loves fliers in Limited, getting +1/+0 and First Strike is just very nice. And if you want to, you can swing.

The others are limited decent, but I think the Ember Weaver is the best of the three IMO.
    So thats the last of the Avens in Conflux. I'm sad to say that while they were okay, none shall compliment my aven deck. Shame.
    So lets see.
    Solid cards.
    The Aven is not bad, will prolly be pretty good more often than not.
    The Weaver is really good. Quite a pain for flyers.
    Teh Rhox seems overcosted for its ability.
    Yeah, I know not every card is going to be constructed-tournament-quality, but anyway, so, Rhox Bodyguard is like a bad Elephant? Its power/toughness, even w/ Exalted, is insufficient to justify the extra point of mana.
    - Warlords of Khanar = Mystic Warlords of Ka'a
    - Jon Finkel Facts: (follow the link at left to see more Facts, or add more Facts!)
    - Chuck Norris counted to infinity twice—because he was trying to count how much damage Jon Finkel deals in an average game.
    - Jon Finkel believes in maintaining a healthy, balanced diet. He gets all his fiber from eating Magic cards for breakfast, and all his protein from eating Magic players for lunch.
    Aven Trailblazer 2W
    Creature - Bird Soldier
    Flying
    - Belator of Esper
    2/*
    Common 4/145

Ember Weaver 2G
    Creature - Spider
    Reach
    - Sunseeder myth
    2/3
    Common 81/145

Rhox Bodyguard 3GW
    Exalted
    2/3
    Common 122/145

Trailblazer- A potential 2/5 for three isn't the best in the world but it does make the card playable for the block domain people.

Ember Weaver- Solid ad good for a 3/3 if you ask me.

Bodyguard- The least impressive of the three... not to exciting in my opinion.

white mana black mana red mana
    I killed an orc with a door once.
    W/B mana B/R mana R/W mana

The Aven's not bad, and it has one of the best flavor texts in the set (so far).

Ember Weaver is solid in a RG deck, but it looks like they're overcosting lifegain again with the Bodyguard.
    Good limited cards. I think the rhino would've been a bit more playable with more lifegain attached..say 5 total? Gaining life with a beater is a very good stabilizing move in limited, but when its only 3 life for 5 mana its a bit meh.
    Aven Trailblazer 2W
    Creature - Bird Soldier
    Flying
    - Belator of Esper
    2/*
    Common 4/145

Ember Weaver 2G
    Creature - Spider
    Reach
    - Sunseeder myth
    2/3
    Common 81/145

Rhox Bodyguard 3GW
    Exalted
    2/3
    Common 122/145

trailblazer and weaver are both reasonably costed. the trailblazer can go up to being a 2/5 (6?) critter for 3 mana and it has flying. a deck with three colors will love this 2/3 flying for 3 as solid, but a deck with 5 colors will make it its wall.

the weaver is potentially a 3/3 reach first strike critter for 3, which you can cast on turn 2 it being a rg critter. solid again.

the bodyguard is such a bad card compared to these two
    I am amazed with Ember Weaver. 3 mana getting a 3/3 first strike creature with reach? (needing a red permanent of course) Very good limited card.

The Aven Trailblazer is ok. It will more than likely be a 2/3 in most limited games.

And then comes Rhox Bodyguard. I really don't like it at all. Sure you gain 3 life and pump your attacker but I don't like the 2/3 for 5 mana.

Banner by KrackShott

Nice to see aven re-appear again

Is the Aven Trailblazer requires different types of Basic land to get more Toughness.

if i have a 2 pcs plain, a 1pcs mountain in play does it get to be 2/2 or 2/3?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes