[CON] Asha's Favor & Corrupted Roots

Two more cards to knock off the list, both Auras.

First, an aura that represents the blessing of former ruler of Bant, the archangel Asha:

Asha's Favor 2W
    Enchantment-Aura (Common)
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature has flying, first strike, and vigilance.
    2/145

And second, another of the color-hosers to join Celestial Purge and Ignite Disorder:

Corrupted Roots B
    Enchantment-Aura (Uncommon)
    Enchant Forest or Plains
    Whenever enchanted land becomes tapped, its controller loses 2 life.
    41/145

It's basically one-mana cheaper black Psychic Venom limited to WG.
    Mad 100% Vorthos Spike and Storyline Expert Mad

Former Fact Prospector of the Greek Alliance.
    Let this great clan rest in peace (2001-2011)

>>Banner by Spanglegluppet<<

Nice cards,mostly for limited.
    Thanks!
    Now, that's just not fair. Reminds me of back in the day, when blue got Hibernation and black got... Yawgmoth's Edict?!
    Asha's aura is nice indeed. Makes your FoD even better.

The roots are okay too. Maybe even better when the shockduals will be better if the shockduals are reprinted in 11th.
    hey i have managed to evolve my axolotls by feeding them thyroid glands the thyroxine contained in these gland is enough to change these water dwelling creatures into land based creatures
    Posted by: Tay Collins | January 20, 2010 6:45 AM

Tay, that's not evolution. It's metamorphosis. Evolution means descent with heritable modification – individuals cannot evolve, unless they're Pokemon.
    Posted by: David Marjanović | January 20, 2010 8:55 AM
    Asha's favor is nice in limited. Corrupted roots is just bad, unless the opponent hasnt many lands, luck factor here. Thanks for sharing!

Quote from Caranthir

Corrupted Roots B
    Enchantment-Aura (Uncommon)
    Enchant Forest or Plains
    Whenever enchanted land becomes tapped, its controller loses 2 life.
    41/145

It's basically one-mana cheaper black Psychic Venom limited to WG.

Colorwise, it's more like Pooling Venom. . . but Roots is far more situational - for some decks never play a single basic land.
    NULL
    Wow. Asha's Favor just joined Lightning Talons as my favourite Limited Aura (a very select club that had no members whatsoever before Shards).

With the mana requirements out there, Roots might work in Limited - especially if people start trying to run 5 colour decks. If only it said "Enchant land capable of producing W and/or G".
    Chumping Engine 3
    Artifact (Rare)
    Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from play you may put X 0/1 Chump Artifact Creature tokens into play where X is that creature's Power.
    "Soon the Pointless Saviour will come...*splat*" - 1/1 Vanilla's last words.
    Thanks Caranthir.

Asha's Favor- limited playable aura, turns any of naya's 5/3 fatties into a major pain to deal with. Draft not brilliant but a decent mid pick in the right deck.

Corrupted Roots- This cycle is incredibly lopsided, white gets something which is almost maindeck playable but red got something which is probably not even limited maindeckable(decent sideboard though) and now black gets this which thanks to the high number of non-basics around is totally unplayable anywhere. With the power of Celestrial Purge, I would have thought that a BB cost sorcery along the lines of Sinkhole but plains/forest restricted would have been possible.

Machius proudly supports R_E's right to Rumour!
    Quote from Orange Mage
    In general, Machius is right on the button. You should follow his line of thinking.
    the aura's not bad I guess,but I would've loved at least a small p/t boost (+1/+1)

the black aura mighteven be playable in limited.
    I love that the wordingdoes not say 'for mana', so tap target permanent effects work as well Grin
    nothing spectacular, but if you could get two of these on a land, and tap it every turn :p
    that'd be funny...
    Juggs
    don't argue with idiots, they'll only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience...

This "hate" cycle is completely lopsided..

White: Borderline maindeckable, Superb Sideboard card..
    Probably maindeck in draft

Red: At best 23rd card..., good sideboard option for Draft only

Black: um..Not even playable in draft..Can't see much scenerio I would want to sideboard this in either...

So there is a green one and a blue one...

I am going to bet that the blue one will also suck.
    and the green one is probably 2nd best just behind the white one..
    according to current thinking of Wizards...
    Quote from ThrivingMagpies
    Black: um..Not even playable in draft..Can't see much scenerio I would want to sideboard this in either...

IF you play it first turn, it can hit for at least 4 damage or severely stunt your opponents early game (you don't tend to use T1 in limited anyway, except for taplands or the occasional good 1-drop, so it barely affects you). The problem is it's a dead draw late in the game. Cycling would have really helped here.

The aura is good - it feels similar to Soul's Fire, in that at worst it's going to make one of your creatures hit your opponent or nuke a flying blocker for 3 mana, while still being able to block. As long as it's played correctly, it's not really card disadvantage.
    That aura good enough for troll? great offence defence + flying first strike so knights dont wreck it. Ajani might just be better tho for vigiliance, might test a couple anyway.
    Quote from Biomechanika
    I wonder how many people would find it annoying if I complained just as much about creature combat, because I dislike games where people do nothing but cast creatures, butt heads and do boring combat math?
    i like the black aura, it's great with another 4 copies of pooling venom

1st turn: corrupted roots
    2st turn: corrupted roots/pooling venom

that means lot of damage for your opponent Smile
    Meh. Both are unplayable in any competitive format.
    Being a bleed player, I LOVE the black enchantment. I used to play a lot with Psychic Venom back in the day and lost plenty of games to it as well.
    www.mtgotraders.com - Enter Code PANDAPAYPAL for 8% off!
    www.CapeFearGames.com - Enter Code PANDA for 5% off!
    Limit of 1 coupon per order
    grixis illusionist + corrupted roots = win! :D:cool::D
    Image removed due to an invalid URL:

ChibiSwan! YOU ROCK! :p

...........Shin on the textless Cryptic Command
    Quote from Shinjutsei

I...I really have nothing to say.

This is EPIC.
    Quote from darkhiroki

lol, a limited combo there =D

I like the aura, for limited it sounds quite good. As for the enchantment, it simply saddens me the strong hate white got all of the sudden, and the poor it went for red and black. I hope the green one is good >_

Quote from darkhiroki

The aura will fall off when the Illusionist's effect ends - unless you meant using it defensively to counter an opponent's corrupted roots (but...why?).
    I like the white one, assuming it's accurate, but I would have loved it for all time if it cost 1 mana :symw:.

As for the black one, doesn't interest me.

B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana W/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana
    If this post is in a "running tally" thread, I'm referring to the price of the item on my website. If it's in Card Creation, I design for Portal 4, a hypothetical set legal in Legacy constructed only. Smile
    Both limited only, but both might actually be main deckable in that format. The white one makes a creature very hard to deal with in combat, and with all the 3+ color decks in limited these days, the black one is sure to find a target and either retard your opponent's development or slowly bleed them.
    Quote from rancored_elf
    I like the white one, assuming it's accurate, but I would have loved it for all time if it cost :1mana::symw:.

Haha, yeah... for 1W it would have been great. I'll still probably draft it, but that's about it.
    Asha's Favor is a great card for my casual Wild Mongrel/Nomad Mythmaker deck. It's also a decent aura for limited.

Corrupted Roots is highly meh.

Cheers,
    rant
    "the snakes, they are my kin" ---Tori Amos

My Cube
    Cube tutor: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/1963
    I don't care for the black aura but the white one can turn most creatures into a threat in limited.
    a small sentence for you to read while you ignore my post.
    The abilities granted by the white aura are very strong, but a 3-mana aura that doesn't boost P/T and has no way to recoup the inherit card disadvantage of auras... I don't know. I'm convinced it looks better than it plays.

The black hoser is a dud. I have a deck built around Pyshic and Pooling Venom, this has no place in that deck whatsoever. That being said, if your opponent is playing GW and you can drop this on your first turn, it is going to hurt. Still, I don't like it.
    WIE DE SCHOEN PAST TREKKE HEM AAN

The roots are okay too. Maybe even better when the shockduals will be better if the shockduals are reprinted in 11th.

I was thinking the same thing. More fun with Shocklands.

Still, both are pretty unplayable. I wouldn't touch an Aura in limited right now. Not with the removal in this format. (ok, MAYBE Lightning Talons if I had drafted a lot of Goblin Deathraiders, but that's still Laaate pick)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes