[CON] Frontline Sage

Here's a card from Zesty from before his retirement for the season, enjoy! Wink

Frontline Sage 2U
    Creature - Human Wizard {Common}
    Exalted
    U,T: Draw a card, then discard a card.
    0/1
    Last edited by ACM: 1/19/2009 9:21:18 AM
    Hmm nice limited card for sure especially if your building around exalted.

Obviously not constructed level. Its no bonded fetch that's for sure....

Feel free to bid on my cards here!
    I prefer Merfolk Looter.
    But still its a good card for limited i guess.
    Exalted helps,and you fillter your deck late game.
    wow thats... bad.
    But i guess it works in limited, so good enough as filler.
    Currently running:
    Standard
    GWUBant EnchantmentsUWG
    BR Dos Rakis RB
    UW Mill WU

Legacy
    RGoblinsR
    Quote from ACM
    Here's a card from Zesty from before his retirement, enjoy! Wink

Frontline Sage 2U
    Exalted
    0/1

Wow that's not really awesome. They are usually 1/1 for 1U, so power gone and 1 more to cast for just the Exalted. Meh, I'm not impressed. His ability also requires mana.

This should have been just a 1/2 without mana requirements IMO.
    Official supporter of the M-team!

- Sal.
    I think they are afraid of exalted being too good for some reason this card wouldn't be broken at 2U 1/1 exalted without the pay to draw and discard.

Maybe we are getting some ridiculous exalted card besides the noble hierarch we haven't seen yet. In limited though hes good enough merfolk looter might be better but merfolk looter doesn't pump your attacker.

Not my style of card but he's certainly decent enough to see some fun in exalted decks.

white mana black mana red mana
    I killed an orc with a door once.
    W/B mana B/R mana R/W mana

pretty high pick in limited. this should help give blue a much-needed boost.

"Death - an outmoded concept. We sleep, and we change."

Awesome sig and avatar by Mr. Stuff over at High~Light Studios!

Member of Team Revolution
    Wow. Wayyyyy worse than Merfolk Looter. But meh, at least we have a Looter for Limited.
    It should have either been two mana or no activation. 3 mana for a 0/1 looter with an activation is seriously sub-par, Exalted or no.
    My Moderator Helpdesk
    Currently Playing:
    Legacy: Something U/W Controlish
    EDH Cube
    Hypercube! A New EDH Deck Every Week(ish)!
    You never attack with a looter anyways so it seems fine.
    Ohhhh pretty bad...Just me or this set has terrible commons?

don't particularly like, but I generally don't play blue in limited. worse than merfolk looter.
    Quote from Northjayhawk
    You won't be awarded 2 game wins for thrashing your opponent spectacularly.

Quote from Hardened
    Stop putting mayonnaise on Shiv's Embrace.
    Quote from Shuuk
    You never attack with a looter anyways so it seems fine.

Yes, but at least you don't have to pay an extra U to use the merfolk's ability. This card's not going to be played as much as it might have because of that one reason.
    Quote from Monopoman
    I think they are afraid of exalted being too good for some reason this card wouldn't be broken at 2U 1/1 exalted without the pay to draw and discard.

Have you looked at ALA block constructed on MTGO? Exalted.dec is cleaning up. Wizards probably saw exalted running away in playtesting and did a mass nerf.
    Quote from carrion pigeons »
    Thank you, Xyl, for exploding the Nomic.

Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.
    ... Ok, I will admit, as much as I love Conflux so far, the commons do seem a little on the stinky side. Oh well, another card I can use as a coaster.
    This guy is usually just better than Dawnray Archer, which does make decklists, and I'd play him just as much as I play Grixis Battlemage, who hardly swings as well.

He's just fine.
    Tournament Victories:
    Indianapolis Regionals 2009 (Standard)
    Worldwake Gameday (Limited)

See my alters here: http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/jimmy2do/Cards/
    Quote from ACM
    Here's a card from Zesty from before his retirement, enjoy! Wink

Frontline Sage 2U
    Exalted
    0/1

ugh. this is crapbin fodder. the crap bin may actually reject it
    I feel that the activation cost was a bit much. But it's a looter and you always play looters in limited. This will be no different.
    Someone care to inform me why this guy is any good in limited? This guy looks like crap in any format. Is he the scathe zombies of the set or am I missing something?
    With all, put the same thing except with / in front of what type of tags they are (like [/card]) to close them.
    Card: [card]
    Hybrid: :symub: = U/B mana order doesn't matter

Spoiler: [spoiler]
    Deck: [deck]
    Quote from Azerbaijan
    I agree. I personally don't play anything but lands in my decks, because almost everything else is hosed by Cancel.
    Quote from Bronze Bombshell
    Someone care to inform me why this guy is any good in limited? This guy looks like crap in any format. Is he the scathe zombies of the set or am I missing something?

He's playable in limited for the same reason all looters are playable in limited. They increase the card quality/density of your deck by giving you additional draws in exchange for chucking irrelevant cards. In a format with unearth (or flashback and madness) their value is even further increased.

Because draw and discard in limited is extremely strong. When you have 6-7 lands down you don't really need more. Draw and discard a land for a real card = good.

Obviously straight draw is a lot better but to get straight draw on this guy over and over at these costs would be rare.

So in that longer game this guy becomes more powerful. At that time his +1/+1 to one attacker also matters because you might just be swinging with an unblockable/flying creature or something.

Hes not ridiculous but hes going to make some limited decklists.

1. Looters are always decent in limited.
    2. Looters almost never swing.
    3. This guy improves your combat and filters your draws.
    4. He could have cost 1U but is still playable.
    Tournament Victories:
    Indianapolis Regionals 2009 (Standard)
    Worldwake Gameday (Limited)

See my alters here: http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/jimmy2do/Cards/

Well, If you'd played some SoA drafts, you'd knew. Good Bant-exalted deck can be devastating in limited. It goes like:

t1 - Akrasan Squire or Wild Nacatl
    t2 - Sighted-Caste Sorcerer or Deft Duelist or some other bear, swing for 2-3.
    t3 - Guardians of Akrasa/Court Archers/Dawnray Archer - swing for 3-4
    t4- Rhox Charger/Jhessian Outrider/another one of the previous - swing for 4-5

That's 9 to 12 dmg in four first turns, not that bad for limited, eh? And it's not really that goldfishy - you just need to grab a lot of exalted guys in the draft or a decent sealed pool. So frontline sage is fine limited filler for exalted, no need to bash it hard.
    clearly he's going to be really solid in limited if not exceptionally good, probably about as good as grixis battlemage just from not having the other ability and the 1 toughness no power thing (pingable) otherwise he's overcosted certainly in the abstract exalted at most should cost 1 mana extra if not more like 1/2 a mana, meaning this guy should be a 2 drop or require no mana to activate and still have a 1 power or a 3 toughness(which would have been awesome)
    Infractions so far = 2

Complaint box: Why was the mtg as an mmo(rpg) thread closed? I was having fun talking about it, hrmph-
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes