[CON] Viashino Slaughtermaster

This time with all the info Wink

Thanks Zesty!

Viashino Slaughtermaster :1mana::symr:
    Creature - Viashino Warrior (Common)
    Double Strike
    :symg::symb:: ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn. Use this ability only once each turn.
    1/1

I was hoping for something with more oomph from a double striker but...

If they would have knocked off the once per turn clause this may have had a chance, now it's just filler. Of course if there is a lot of pump around, this could turn out to be good, but I haven't seen much so far (Maniacal Rage, and Might of Alara, oh yeah Bone Saw also :rolleyes:).
    [The Family]
    Quote from MandersHex

Skander: Every post I read from him reminds me of Family Mafia. He reads 100% genuine townie to me. If he turns up scum, I quit mafia.
    This guy + Obsidian Battle-Axe = a very powerful combination. I don't like 1/1 double strikers, but his tribe is quite relevant with the Axe and the Bramblewood Paragon around.
    Unfortunately, the Cyclons are swarming Deep Space 9 with their tie fighters, threatening our Stargate.
    I have a feeling he'll find a home somewhere; Afterall, Boros Swiftblade saw a bit of constructed play. At the very least, he looks good wearing a Loxodon Warhammer...
    To be honest simply a 1/1 warrior doublestriker for 2 could see play in a warrior deck (not top tier obviously), so some people will really like this.

Thanks to spiderboy4 for the sig.

Quote from makingnotches »
    You sir are amazing. You have the patience of a God.
    Not bad at all in a Warrior deck with the Battle-Axe...

For block limited.... The "only once" clause is is a bit limiting. In the early game, it would be hard to activate thanks to the colors, and in lategame, it does not have much impact. Unless you have a good way how to buff it up....like exalted, Roar, or Maniacal Rage Evil Lol Oh wait, it is pretty good Smile
    Last edited by Caranthir: 1/13/2009 8:40:49 AM
    Mad 100% Vorthos Spike and Storyline Expert Mad

Former Fact Prospector of the Greek Alliance.
    Let this great clan rest in peace (2001-2011)

>>Banner by Spanglegluppet<<

Seems pretty good. Especially with red/green being able to pump it up.

EDH Decks

:symw::symu::symb::symr::symg: Reaper King :symw::symu::symb::symr::symg:
    black mana Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief black mana
    :symr::symg::symw: Mayael the Anima :symr::symg::symw:
    black mana Korlash, Heir to Blackblade black mana
    :symw::symu::symb::symr::symg: Horde of Notions :symw::symu::symb::symr::symg:
    This guy with a +2+2 enchantement should be good in draft... they are both common cards!

:kitty:Die nocteque vigilo, Aquila Noctis sum
    Kitty

H/W LIST
    Grin WeBSitE

Amazing.

Limited: very playable in any shard containing red (you can splash for the pump easily enough).

Constructed: Bramblewood Paragon is all over this guy. I'd love to see the return of agGRo Smile
    It's ok I guess... but when I read the title and the 'slaughtermaster' in it, I was expecting something else... And I'm still waiting for the good cards... what happened to getting the good cards first? Wizards changing tactics? Or are the ten good cards we have atm all we get?
    Best Hack n Slash since diablo 2:
    http://www.pathofexile.com
    Going to see play in conjunction with Might of Alara. Don't get cocky and let a 1/1 double striker through, it WILL turn into 8-12 damage.
    This is the cheapest double striker ever printed, so that's at least saying something. When double strike first came out, many of us decided that 3 mana would be the absolute cheapest a 1/1 with double strike could have, EVER. Well, we were wrong, of course. But at 1R this guy is a record breaker already. The pump, if it ever happens, is a nice touch. I like that colour combination. Nicely designed card, assuming it's accurate and all that jazz. *cough*

B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana W/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana B/G mana R/G mana B/G mana B/G mana
    If this post is in a "running tally" thread, I'm referring to the price of the item on my website. If it's in Card Creation, I design for Portal 4, a hypothetical set legal in Legacy constructed only. Smile
    Immediately gets added to my Blazing Shoal deck.
    Another creature that can swing for 20 turn 2 is always welcome.

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true.
    Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for.
    Unless it's death by meteorite.
    Now that's what I call overcosted pump. Oh, wait, double strike, cool.

I love him. If I remember correctly, this is the cheapest splashable double-striker, right? Awesome, gotta get 4 of.
    G Soap: Channeling Spiral Energy since 2006.U

I can see it in a nice exalted naya deck, even if it can't pay to pump it up. Imagine you welking guide him and attack for six plus double exalted. Also, you will probably can pay BG in any decks because of the domain thing.
    Spike plays ten games and wins nine of them. If Spike feels he should have won the tenth, he walks away unhappy. - MaRo
    If the suspected Shock lands returns in 11th this is gonna be a house in a new Standard Zoo deck acting like "Gaea's Might get there" Boros Swiftblade replacement.
    Quote from ArcanePie
    Going to see play in conjunction with Might of Alara. Don't get cocky and let a 1/1 double striker through, it WILL turn into 8-12 damage.

Yeah, if domain is viable that will be something to watch for.

I don' think this guy's power is in his own pump though, I mean sure you'll use it if you can but it really needs outside pump to get there.

I'm stupid for not thinking about the creature type, that's going to to be fun in a Warrior deck. Coming straight out of the gates with a +1/+1 counter a grabbing the Battle-Axe is brutal.
    [The Family]
    Quote from MandersHex

Skander: Every post I read from him reminds me of Family Mafia. He reads 100% genuine townie to me. If he turns up scum, I quit mafia.
    Ugh, just print the obligatory 1/1 for W already Smile

Srsly, double strike is a good way to abuse all kinds of effects, if you're playing this guy it'll never be for his BG ability unless you've nothing else to do. I don't *think* there's any broken equips in Type 2 beyond like Loxodon Warhammer (and it's good but not like Jitte good) so I'm thinking this guy's only home is domain.dec. Ah well.
    ..... mmmmmmmmmm... Fists of the Anvil
    ..... mmmmmmmmmm... Lightning Talons

all common red...
    :symu::symu::symu::symb::symb::symb::symr::symr::symr::dimir::rakdos::izzet::symr::symr::symr::symb::symb::symb::symu::symu::symu:

"So many choices. Shall I choose loathing, hate, or malice today?"
    Doublestrike is very good and a cheap doublestriker is even better. In limited it'll be a definite playable and a decent mid pick(depending on the deck). Obviously becomes insane with any sort of pump(or exalted). The single pump ability isn't all that bad either.

On the constructed side of things it's a warrior and as such has a solid tier 2 deck to slot into, other than that it's doubtful if it'll see much play.

Machius proudly supports R_E's right to Rumour!
    Quote from Orange Mage
    In general, Machius is right on the button. You should follow his line of thinking.
    Quote from Skander
    Yeah, if domain is viable that will be something to watch for.

I don' think this guy's power is in his own pump though, I mean sure you'll use it if you can but it really needs outside pump to get there.

I'm stupid for not thinking about the creature type, that's going to to be fun in a Warrior deck. Coming straight out of the gates with a +1/+1 counter a grabbing the Battle-Axe is brutal.

I was more talking about domain.dec in limited. Both this and might of alara are commons.
    Well, a the very least, it's a 2/1 red 2-drop that doesn't trade with a 1/1. That alone is worth something. Add the pump that allows it to deal 4 damage all by itself and all the nasty tricks you can do with a double-striker... I like it.

Side note to pump: As long as you have that mana open to pump it, your opponent must calculate in that it can do 2 more damage and live through a 2//2 blocker. That alone will allow it to get through quite often, without the need to actually use that mana. Options are always nice.
    Quote from Morrissey
    I can't even begin to imagine what getting a free 8/8 trampler would involve.
    Perhaps some new keyword like:
    Firstborn 1 (when - enters the battlefield promise your firstborn child to WotC)
    Of course, there would also be Firstborn 2 and 3, maybe even Firstborn X (X cannot be zero...coffee doesn't fetch itself you know).
    I like. Cheap double-strike and built-in pump is good, and with all the other pump out there (glorious anthem, lieges, enchantments) this is pretty good. Definitely good in limited where you can slap a lightning talons on him late game for heavy beating.
    Quote from ArcanePie
    I was more talking about domain.dec in limited. Both this and might of alara are commons.

Ooh, this.
    At any rate, this guy is a great devour target, as he is actually useful for a 2 drop anyway.
    News and spoiler contributor for GatheringMagic.com

Twitter
    so is this the first common creature to have double strike?
    I really like that it can do nasty things in a warrior deck, with the ax and the paragon. but He is a decent pick in limited too.
    a small sentence for you to read while you ignore my post.
    if boros swift blade saw play because of might this will see play because of might of alara.... type 2 zoo meterial
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes