[CON] Kaleidostone

Time to play a small game with you. Zesty was kind enough to let me join the spoiling efforts, but I'm not just going give you the card right away. Instead, I wrote a small review of the card's impact in limited. Bear with me, I'll keep this as simple as possible.

Back in Shadowmoor limited, one of the most difficult challenges to undertake was to know just when and how to splash for a specific color, especially when said color laid outside of your primary color axis. As usual, green had a bit of an edge on color splashing thanks to its access to one-shot fixer and cantrip spell, Manamorphose.

Flash forward eight months or so into the future. Conflux is about to take up one third of SoA drafts, and the new domain cards injected into the format are bound to reward players for taking wild risks, splashing a fourth or even fifth color into their decks. Given green's history of mana fixing and acceleration, you'd expect the nongreen shards to be the least likely to abuse the crazy benefits of off-color splashes. If you are playing Esper, though, this is not likely to be the case...

While non-accelerating mana filter cards like Mana Cylix are seldom useful on their own, it seems WoTC designers took a hint from Manamorphose when designing this new card, allowing it to replace itself! With the speed of the format, doing so during the early game won't put you too far behind. Fortunately, it's costed just so you can make this so. Even better, thanks to Esper staple Esperzoa, you might even turn this self-replacing little gem into a card advantage engine! Mix in a couple of Etherium Sculptors, and you won't even feel the tempo hit!

But then, we're talking about mana fixing here. Imagine for a second being able to splash for ALL of these off-color fatties and hit them consistently on turn five: Rakeclaw Gargantuan, Waveskimmer Aven, Carrion Thrash or even Mosstodon, all without straining your mana base one bit! Going for a splashed Mycoloth or Caldera Hellion is a bit trickier, unless you were lucky enough to draft multiples, or clever enough to go for an off-color obelisk in earlier packs.

One of the nicest things about this particular mana fixer is its resilience and recursion potential. With the amount of weenie sweepers available in the uncommon and rare slots, a Druid of the Anima or Steward of Valeron might fall prey to a well-timed Infest and never have a shot at actually mana-fixing you. Sure, a Bant Charm may still send this card packing, but nowhere a follow-up Sanctum Gargoyle can't pick it up! In fact, I'm pretty certain that if you can get some Gargoyle recursion going on, you'll have enough mana consistency to play pretty much anything your deck has to offer in the late game, and not just the one time you pop this gem.

Although color may no longer be an issue to the resourceful Esper drafter, this doesn't mean that you should go on skimpering on the lands. This particular mana-fixer may be Panorama-friendly, but that doesn't mean that you can just expect to pop it if your opponent, say, Realm Razers your lands before you have a chance of using it. But let's be honest: knowing that you can count on this level of mana-fixing on pack three, YOU will be the one picking all those early Razers and enjoying them, even if your mana base has not a single plains, forest or mountain anywhere to be seen.

The full card:

Kaleidostone
    Artifact 2
    When Kaleidostone comes into play, draw a card.
    ,T, sacrifice Kaleidostone: Add WUBRG to your mana pool.
    Common

Hope you liked the analysis. Speculate away! I'll keep track in a bit and post the final version of the card once you have it all figured out.
    Last edited by DasGoST: 1/6/2009 12:06:07 PM
    People hiss and grunt at Mark Rosewater for the state of the game. Few realize, though, that it is Aaron Forsythe who is directly responsible of the current state of affairs due to negligence as head of Magic R&D and a completely skewed view of the game as a whole.

So next time you want to make an avvy with Rosewater pissing on something, take a deep breath and consider pasting Forsythe's face there instead...
    cardname 2
    Artifact
    When ~ comes into play, draw a card.
    ,T:Add WUBRG to your mana pool.

or

cardname 2
    Artifact
    ,T, sacrifice ~:Add WUBRG to your mana pool.
    Quote from Bhaelfur
    EDH/Commander is a social format, right? So why don't people use their social skills to discuss what they like and don't like, instead of adopting a list with 60+ banned cards?
    That'd be Kaleidostone then.
    Chumping Engine 3
    Artifact (Rare)
    Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from play you may put X 0/1 Chump Artifact Creature tokens into play where X is that creature's Power.
    "Soon the Pointless Saviour will come...*splat*" - 1/1 Vanilla's last words.
    Quote from audiox
    cardname 2
    Artifact

Like this, but with an additional sacrifice cost.

EDIT: you beat me to it on your 2nd version Smile
    Quote from DasGoST
    Even better, thanks to Esper staple Esperzoa, you might even turn this self-replacing little gem into a card advantage engine!

This part confuses me. So don't you have to sacrifice it?

Hm, idea: it comes into play with a counter, you draw a card, remove a counter: add two mana of different colors to your mana pool.

Edit: cleaned up a bit.
    It comes into play with a counter.
    When it comes into play, draw a card.
    Remove a counter from ~: add 2 mana of different colors to your mana pool.

Would probably cost 3. Small chance to be some colored mana in the cost.

Edit:
    Quote from audiox
    cardname 2
    Artifact

or

cardname 2
    Artifact

These don't allow you to pay 3GG for Mycoloth on turn, so no.
    Last edited by Neyda: 1/6/2009 11:37:18 AM

Many thanks to spiderboy4 at High~Light studios.
    Quote from Neyda
    These don't allow you to pay 3GG for Mycoloth on turn, so no.

The analysis explicitly states you can't do this without an additional green source (such as an off-colour obelisk). The slipper fits.
    Kaleidostone 2
    Artifact (u)
    when ~ comes in to play draw a card
    ,T:Sacrifice ~ add WUBRG to your mana pool

the 2 because he said a couple of Sculpters and sac because it "pops"

uncommon as he says that you would have to be "lucky enough" to draft multiples
    Last edited by Credendo: 1/6/2009 11:43:14 AM
    Quote from Souljer
    There comes a time in every young Planeswalker's life that he realizes he has not been reading the card as well as he should. This is your time.

Quote from dragonmago
    Because milling is like a VD: Rarely lethal, annoying as hell and makes you look bad with your friends.

Hence "I got crabs"
    He also says its cost is like manamorphose and you wont feel tempo loss with 2 sculptors, meaning it's free if you have two in play, so it should cost 2
    Tournament Victories:
    Indianapolis Regionals 2009 (Standard)
    Worldwake Gameday (Limited)

See my alters here: http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/jimmy2do/Cards/
    Quote from the_fish
    The analysis explicitly states you can't do this without an additional green source (such as an off-colour obelisk). The slipper fits.

Quote from DasGost »
    unless you were lucky enough to draft multiples, or clever enough to go for an off-color obelisk in earlier packs.

To me this sentence means 2 should do it without any obelisks.

Note that he's saying it's a card for Esper, so I guess it has some kind of blue, white or black in it's manacost. How about this?

Kaleidostone 2U
    Artifact (C)
    WB,T: Add RG to your mana pool.
    Kaleidostone
    CC = 2
    Rare
    when it comes into play, draw a card
    When a card comes into play, Kaleidostone give x mana of any color, being x = CC of that card.

It replace itself and can be used with Esperzoa
    Last edited by V_Raziel: 1/6/2009 11:47:47 AM
    M10... What a great core set Grin
    Quote from audiox
    cardname 2
    Artifact

this seems to fit everything mentioned in the "review". if this is it, then it would be a high pick for drafts.
    Quote from Neyda
    To me this sentence means 2 should do it without any obelisks.

Yeah my bad on that one. You can't do it on five mana and two fixers alone.
    People hiss and grunt at Mark Rosewater for the state of the game. Few realize, though, that it is Aaron Forsythe who is directly responsible of the current state of affairs due to negligence as head of Magic R&D and a completely skewed view of the game as a whole.

So next time you want to make an avvy with Rosewater pissing on something, take a deep breath and consider pasting Forsythe's face there instead...
    Quote from nal2
    Note that he's saying it's a card for Esper, so I guess it has some kind of blue, white or black in it's manacost. How about this?

Kaleidostone 2U
    Artifact (C)
    WB,T: Add RG to your mana pool.

He also says you have to pop it, and you need your lands to do so, so the 5 activation is most likely. Although it being specifically Esper does denote some color in the cost.
    Tournament Victories:
    Indianapolis Regionals 2009 (Standard)
    Worldwake Gameday (Limited)

See my alters here: http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/jimmy2do/Cards/
    Kaledostoine 2
    Artifact
    When ~ comes into play draw a card.
    2, T: Add two mana of a colour of your choice to your mana pool.
    5, T, Sacrifice ~: Add WUBRG to your mana pool.
    Quote from DasGoST
    Yeah my bad on that one. You can't do it on five mana and two fixers alone.

OK, that settles this question.

I think the Esperzoa part just means that when it comes into play, you draw a card, much like Elsewhere Flask. And people: it's limited fixing, so it's common.

I think it's more like:

Kaleidostone 2
    Artifact (U)
    3, T, sacrifice Kaleidostone: Add 3 mana of different colours to your mana pool.
    Quote from Johm000
    I think it's more like:

Kaleidostone 2
    Artifact (U)
    3, T, sacrifice Kaleidostone: Add 3 mana of different colours to your mana pool.

It was said that

"But then, we're talking about mana fixing here. Imagine for a second being able to splash for ALL of these off-color fatties and hit them consistently on turn five: Rakeclaw Gargantuan, Waveskimmer Aven, Carrion Thrash or even Mosstodon, all without straining your mana base one bit! Going for a splashed Mycoloth or Caldera Hellion is a bit trickier, unless you were lucky enough to draft multiples, or clever enough to go for an off-color obelisk in earlier packs."

Kaleidostone
    CC = 2
    U
    when it comes into play, draw a card
    When a card comes into play, Kaleidostone give x mana of any color to your mana pool, being x = CC of that card.
    Last edited by V_Raziel: 1/6/2009 11:54:56 AM
    M10... What a great core set Grin
    Quote from Johm000
    I think it's more like:

Kaleidostone 2
    Artifact (U)

That's likely the one. If so, it's just a version of Terrarion. And it should be a common.

Edit: hm, no. 2 of these let you play Mycoloth (and even much trickier mana costs, too), which isn't the case, as DasGost stated it. Maybe 2, T, sacrifice Kaleidostone: Add 2 mana of different colours to your mana pool.

Edit2: damn, that doesn't work either. You can't do Mycoloth on 5 mana and two fixers alone...
    Last edited by Neyda: 1/6/2009 11:57:48 AM

I would say:
    Kaleidostone 2
    Kaleidostone comes into play tapped.
    2, sacrifice Kaleidostone: Add two mana of two different colors to your mana pool. Draw a card.

But they already made that one in Ravnica. It does seem like it is a chromatic sphere type card.

Guys: Given green's history of mana fixing and acceleration, you'd expect the nongreen shards to be the least likely to abuse the crazy benefits of off-color splashes. If you are playing Esper, though, this is not likely to be the case...

It must be esper colored somehow?
    "If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." - Jack Handey

MY TYPE TOO DECKS
    -B Rogues
    -Sanguine Bond 5c Life gain
    -Polymorph Tokens
    MY EXTENDED DECK
    -BWrRs deck for da winz!
    MY TYPE ONE DECK
    -Fluctuator

ptq 4th place

Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator
    Quote from Madroc

It must be esper colored somehow?

Or maybe just an artifact?

Quote from audiox
    cardname 2
    Artifact

or

cardname 2
    Artifact

Kudos at audiox for getting it on the first try... or more accurately try 1.5 considering he edited. Yeah I was watching! =)

The full card:

Kaleidostone
    Artifact 2

I'm still waiting on zesty to get back at me on the rarity. After thinking about this card while writing the analysis, I'm pretty sure it's powerful enough to warrant being an uncommon. At common, it'd be a VERY high pick and allow some sick splashes, like the mentioned Realm Razer before.

What I like most about it is the fact that it allows so many splashes, while keeping off-color stuff like Flameblast Dragon and Mycoloth fairly hard to splash for. This'll definitely be a house on Esper limited decks with 2-3 Sanctum Gargoyles and Esperzoa.

EDIT: Just heard from zesty: it's a common. Pick 'em while you can!
    Last edited by DasGoST: 1/6/2009 12:05:33 PM

Quote from DasGoST
    Kudos at audiox for getting it on the first try... or more accurately try 1.5 considering he edited. Yeah I was watching! =)

The full card:

Kaleidostone
    Artifact 2

I'm still waiting on zesty to get back at me on the rarity. After thinking about this card while writing the analysis, I'm pretty sure it's powerful enough to warrant being an uncommon. At common, it'd be a VERY high pick and allow some sick splashes, like the mentioned Realm Razer before.

What I like most about it is the fact that it allows so many splashes, while keeping off-color stuff like Flameblast Dragon and Mycoloth fairly hard to splash for. This'll definitely be a house on Esper limited decks with 2-3 Sanctum Gargoyles and Esperzoa.

Wow. OK, interesting card, stays in line with the 'we fix for any color' theme.

I would've expected it do have something to do with Domain. One mana for every land type you control. Including the Samland. But that's not the case.

I suppose it's not a bad one. It reminds me of the attendants the Primeval Dragons had. You know, Darigaaz and his siblings.
    [I was permabanned and all I got to show for it was .... well, nothing.]
    I play a lot of five-color, so this set is giving me some fun options. Nice to see a card like this! Makes me wish they had some cards with Sunburst in this set!
    www.mtgotraders.com - Enter Code PANDAPAYPAL for 8% off!
    www.CapeFearGames.com - Enter Code PANDA for 5% off!
    Limit of 1 coupon per order
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes