[CON] Absorb Vis, Sylvan Bounty, and others...

Zesty was kind enough to provide us with the following spoilers:

Absorb Vis
    Sorcery 6B
    Taget player loses 4 life and you gain 4 life.
    Basic landcycling 1B
    Common

Sylvan Bounty 5G
    Instant (C)
    Target player gains 8 life.
    Basic landcycling 1G

Traumatic Visions 3UU
    Instant (C)
    Counter Target Spell
    Basic landcycling 1U

Gleam of Resistance 4W
    Instant (C)
    Creatures you control get +1/+2 until end of turn. Untap those creatures.
    Basic landcycling 1W
    Last edited by rancored_elf: 1/6/2009 8:05:56 AM
    People hiss and grunt at Mark Rosewater for the state of the game. Few realize, though, that it is Aaron Forsythe who is directly responsible of the current state of affairs due to negligence as head of Magic R&D and a completely skewed view of the game as a whole.

So next time you want to make an avvy with Rosewater pissing on something, take a deep breath and consider pasting Forsythe's face there instead...
    Well i guess its ok for limited .
    It costs 6B and is common.
    DCI MAGIC RULES ADVISOR
    (not really an accomplishment, but I've seen other people here with it in their sig)

Thats pretty darn good. a nice upgrade to Soul Feast, and that card is awesome

Thanks to spiderboy4 for the great avatar and sig from High Light Studios!

Quote from MTGN00B
    Garruck man... go Garruck or go home... And then get money, and go Garruck.
    Or i'm just gonna mana ramp it up cause i'm garruck. I'm a tank.

We may have gotten a new card out of that nonsense, but remember, guys: do not feed or respond to trolls.

As for the card itself, it seems way too expensive to be playable. I know that's how they always design the basic land cyclers, but seriously--7 mana? For an 8 point life-swing?
    If your signature takes up more lines than your actual post does, you should fix one or both of them.
    Each one of the basic landcycling cards for the 5 colors all vary on ability and usefulness...

Think of them like the "SuperCyclers" but backwards, They all have big abilities because of their cost, but being able to fix the mana in limited format is so huge because playing domain in Alara/Alara/Conflux reaps you HUGE benefits.
    Quote from Jozan
    Thats pretty darn good. a nice upgrade to Soul Feast, and that card is awesome

yeah it's totally awesome... *swallows irony*

at least it has landcycling. So it might be playable in limited...
    but honestly, it is kinda - really bad Slant
    Dreams are tempting because one is so powerful in them. Dreams are dangerous because that power is a lie.
    Quote from Sinister
    yeah it's totally awesome... *swallows irony*

at least it has landcycling. So it might be playable in limited...
    but honestly, it is kinda - really bad Slant

Soul Feast in XXX draft is huge blowout and is a high pick. This card is obviously not as playable as regular cost, but is also most likely a high pick based on the cycling ability, but is also quite a huge blowout late game to break a stall. I was being totally serious with my assessment.

EDIT: Also this card is probably an instant so you don't have to play it at sorcery speed...

Quote from MTGN00B

Quote from zesty234
    Each one of the basic landcycling cards for the 5 colors all vary on ability and usefulness...

Think of them like the "SuperCyclers" but backwards, They all have big abilities because of their cost, but being able to fix the mana in limited format is so huge because playing domain in Alara/Alara/Conflux reaps you HUGE benefits.

So domain has really good cards, i wonder if it will be type 2 playable. As for absorb vis it is really bad, no real use just a bad common card.

Considering that leeching X is costed X1B on most cards, this is in fact underwhelming - if it not had basic land-cycling.... for 1B ? Why is there a black mana in the cost? Does that mean that the red one should be fixed to 1R or that red is better at land fetching than black ?
    Each reality is but the dream of another, and each sleeper a god unknowing.
    We define the boundaries of reality; they don't define us.
    Illus. Goomi.
    I dont understand why black would get basic landcyclcing but the red one gets mountaincycling. Thats lopsided no?
    Quote from vatechguy
    I dont understand why black would get basic landcyclcing but the red one gets mountaincycling. Thats lopsided no?
    It would be lopsided, if that were the case. But the red one has basic landcycling too.

EDIT:
    Quote from Blutsau
    Why is there a black mana in the cost? Does that mean that the red one should be fixed to :1mana::symr: or that red is better at land fetching than black ?
    The red one costs 1R to cycle.
    Level 3 Magic Judge
    Do you know any judges who always impress you with their work ethic, knowledge, or attitude? Nominate them to be the next Judge of the Week!
    This card is a sorcery, it is the only sorcery amongst the "LandCyclers" cycle.

All of the 5 cards, get "Basic Lands" only,.. for one mana of the cards color plus one additional mana.
    Quote from Blutsau
    Considering that leeching X is costed X1B on most cards, this is in fact underwhelming - if it not had basic land-cycling.... for 1B ? Why is there a black mana in the cost? Does that mean that the red one should be fixed to 1R or that red is better at land fetching than black ?

The red one is 1R and has been for a long time.

There Are Other Worlds Than These

Bane's Reading Suggestions

David Eddings: The Belgariad, Mallorean, Elenium and Tamuli Series. The Redemption of Althalus
    Jim Butcher: The Codex Alera Series
    Quote from zesty234
    This card is a sorcery, it is the only sorcery amongst the "LandCyclers" cycle.

Oh then my assessment has gone down of this card. This card would be awesome at instant speed, but sorcery it is a 20th-23rd card :/

Quote from MTGN00B

Quote from azngenius
    It would be lopsided, if that were the case. But the red one has basic landcycling too.

EDIT:The red one costs 1R to cycle.

Weird. I must have been looking at something old like Blutsau - I thought red one was 2, mountaincycle

But looking at the conflux spoiler page I stand corrected.

Who wouldn't like this better as an instant? lol It would be hot as an instant - pretty meh as a socery.
    I really like this cycle for limited, I would say a good 70% of the time you will be using the card for its land cycling, and that is extremely useful in the current format. But aside from that, you draw one of these cards late game, and its not a total dud. Gaining life near the end of the game in limited can actually be pretty useful, as is making the opponent lose life.

One question though: can I search for a ravnica shock land with the basic land cycling?
    Quote from BurntChomsky
    I really like this cycle for limited, I would say a good 70% of the time you will be using the card for its land cycling, and that is extremely useful in the current format. But aside from that, you draw one of these cards late game, and its not a total dud. Gaining life near the end of the game in limited can actually be pretty useful, as is making the opponent lose life.

One question though: can I search for a ravnica shock land with the basic land cycling?

Yes becuase Ravinca shockland's count as basics but have the 4 of rule becuase of there names.
    Quote from BurntChomsky

Nope, as they don't have the words "basic land" on the type line. (exact text - in French - in Mana Rouge thread)

The card is OK - not sure how useful the land tutor will be in limited, I guess it depends on how good Domain gets.

EDIT:

Quote from Floyd
    Yes becuase Ravinca shockland's count as basics but have the 4 of rule becuase of there names.

No no no no no! They have basic land types, but they are not basic, hence the 4 of limit. 'Basic' means the card is exempt from the 4-of rule, the type means it taps for the appropriate colour of mana.
    Last edited by the_fish: 1/5/2009 11:23:48 AM
    This may not be 1st pick but drain life effects are generally a valuable commodity in Limited. The price is mostly irrelevant in this case as you'd be cycling it most of the time.

Considering the amount of fixing this block provides we're in for a mirror of T2 in Limited - Color Doesn't Count.

Oh how I wish this was 5 damage and 5 life so I could run it in my EDH deck, but at 4, I don't see it being good enough to make the cut. *sad panda*
    WBG Karador | WB Ghost Council | RG Stonebrow | WUBRG Sliver Overlord | UBR Sedris
    B Korlash | R Norin | WUG Phelddagrif | BRG Prossh | UB Oona

sigh, another awful black card. who wants to bet that the white basic cycler will be something like remove target attacking creature for 3 mana? we can only hope that this is the "token black worst card in the set common" that has now become a part of magic. as a fan of black i'm REALLY hoping there's something waiting that won't make me hate this set/block......

and yes it is SEMI-playable in limited... joy...
    Pretty good in limited, decent (at best) in constructed. Again, unless domain is a HOUSE in T2. Honestly, I optimistically think it will be, if only because of the functional reprint of gaea's might
    Running:
    T2
    TokenS!

Thanks to DarkNightCavalier of Heroes of the Planes Studios!

Avatar from: http://www.recoculous.com/2008/09/18/slivers/
    *Sigh* I was hoping this would be some amazing BR bomb... guess not. It's an ok limited card, I don't think it'll do anything for constructed though.

white mana black mana red mana
    I killed an orc with a door once.
    W/B mana B/R mana R/W mana

Quote from blasppsp
    we can only hope that this is the "token black worst card in the set common" that has now become a part of magic.

QFT. 7 mana is a lot. Sometimes it seems that they just up the 'fair' mana cost by 1 or 2, make the card a common and call it a day. It's strange. Or maybe they wanted to showcase a theme of the new set.

It could be (and actually were) done in a good way. Errant Ephemeron is an example. Absorb Vis is the wrong way though.

Many thanks to spiderboy4 at High~Light studios.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes