Ravnica, as a 'Walker hub

Well, i just wanted to start a thread to talk to people about wheter or not Ravnica being a "Planar Hub" so to speak, will affect any of the major storylines we've already seen.

Like, for example, will Koth, Karn and Elspeth journey here to try and raise awarness of the Phyrexian threat?

or Gideon Jura, and his desperate quest to seek out and garner assistance from the Infinite Consortium.

Additionally, Nissa Revane, having messed up monumentally, had swore she would track down Sorin, as per her oath to the Joraga Council, for releasing the Eldrazi.

Has Sorin finished his business with Innistrad, as per Avacyn's release?
    And where will he go now?

TL;DR?

We dont know what happened to Zendikar, after Rise.

We dont know what happened to Tezzeret after New Phyrexia.

The Eldrazi CAN leave to go to other planes, will they follow the 'Walkers (who were a bit of a thorn in their Lovecraftian sides).

The Phyrexians HAVE had planar tech before, could they develop it again?

any discussion, would be awesome Smile

thanks
    Moved to speculation.

This topic is loosely connected to lots of different things, but let's please try to keep on the topic of Ravnica as it relates to other plotlines. Thanks.
    ha, again, apologies Stardust :p

what im getting at is, will Ravnica be the staging point for another Coalition against the horrors of the Multiverse?
    I could see Ravnica being a sort of central hub where planeswalkers gather to seek temporary refuge or deliberate plans and schemes. I mean it's not like there's that many other civilized/hospitibal planes out there that would make for a good hidout; Alara is presumably a chaotic mess, Zendikar is Eldrazi food, Innistrad was somewhat dangerous although probably not anymore, Mirrodin is now New Phyrexia, etc.

I'm not sure about some of the older planes; I suppose some could serve as a walker hub, but in all honesty I'd rather it just be Ravnica, simply due to the fact that Ravnica is cooler.
    I don't think this will be the case. At least for now. Wizards would probably like to measure how successful the plane turns out to be, sales-wise, before jumping to a second comeback. Since they plan sets in 7-year intervals, that means we might not see Ravnica within 5 years.
    Well, this could well be the case, but to be fair, Ravnica did EXTREMELY well, and it would seem (from all the commotion) that its next incarnation is eagerly anticapated.

They also did just set a semi-stand alone novel there, and considering they created mirrodin with the sole purpose of giving it to the phyrexians, they could have had this planned out too.

Not off-topic, but seg-waying a tad, itd be kinda nice to have a new "home" plane for a few blocks. Dominaria got a little slapped around in recent years. place needs a break methinks :p
    Quote from Necrosis
    Not off-topic, but seg-waying a tad, itd be kinda nice to have a new "home" plane for a few blocks. Dominaria got a little slapped around in recent years. place needs a break methinks :p

Hell, it's had a break for a while now. Time Spiral was over five years ago. That's a longer break than it had since Otaria.
    Actually, true enough, but isn't it in tatters?
    I don't think we'll see Gideon, since the Infinite Consortium is based out of Rav as I understand it. The rest, though, seems likely. Having a bunch of walkers show up in RTR makes sense in a lot of ways, especially since it gives Wizards the most freedom regarding where they head next.

Plus, I kind of like the idea of a Planeswalker central hub. It's an interesting idea.
    Cyme we inne frið, fram the grip of deaþ to lif inne ðis smylte land.
    Quote from Necrosis
    Actually, true enough, but isn't it in tatters?

No, that was about a hundred years ago in continuity (dependent on if you follow Alaran continuity or Mirran continuity. And since "Mirran continuity" is an oxymoron, you know which one I follow.)
    It was already well on its way to recovery a while ago.

Quote from Ramenth
    I don't think we'll see Gideon, since the Infinite Consortium is based out of Rav as I understand it. The rest, though, seems likely. Having a bunch of walkers show up in RTR makes sense in a lot of ways, especially since it gives Wizards the most freedom regarding where they head next.

Plus, I kind of like the idea of a Planeswalker central hub. It's an interesting idea.

... why WOULDN'T we see Gideon? He declares his intention to go straight to Ravnica at the end of the Battle of Fort Keff. And what does the IC have to do with being based out of Rav? That's the last remains of the Consortium that Jace runs. He didn't take over the entire organization.

The ones that don't make sense are Karn, Koth, and Elspeth. For one, Koth is holding the fort on Mirrodin, but they almost certainly aren't going to cross stories with the phyrexians again so soon. Neither Elspeth nor Karn have any business on Ravnica, it makes no sense to put them there. They left to go fight other planes tainted by the oil.

Nissa, meanwhile, has been to Ravnica. She stayed an hour before she fled the plane declaring it a den of insanity and inequity. She's looking for Sorin. If she was going to appear, it would have been in Innistrad.

You have your ideas totally flipped as to what is likely and what isn't Ramenth.

@Necrosis: The Eldrazi cannot leave Zendikar yet, they are still bound to physical form by the Hedron Matrix powering that spell. They also never had a problem with the walkers and wouldn't be in physical form anyways if they did follow Jace.

The phyrexians won't develop planar tech until they parse out who is going to be head honcho.
    Actually, that pretty consicely answered all my questions and suspicions on the matter.

nice one! Grin
    What about Jace. He's on first released art, so he has to play a role.
    Quote from Zhared
    What about Jace. He's on first released art, so he has to play a role.

Sorin begs to differ. Actually Sorin is a good example since like Jace he has a non-storyline reason for being on Ravnica (he lives there).
    Sorin lives ther?

if so, wouldnt Nissa just bite the bullet and go find him?
    bringing Gideon back into again, with the whole "we need to talk about this eldrazi thing.."
    I'm personally hoping that they all end up deciding to lead the Eldrazi to New Phyrexia.

Honestly though, I think this next block will start us off dealing with at least one Multiversal threat, rather than creating a new one. The Izzet vs. Golgari summary leads us to believe something valuable is at the lower layers of Ravnica.

@ Skibo - Where does it say Sorin lives on Ravnica, out of curiousity?

We know Jace does, we know Gideon is heading there. It's pretty sure we will see at least Ral on Ravnica as well.
    Last edited by Jay13x: 5/11/2012 9:50:43 AM
    Skibo's comment was written poorly maybe, but he meant that Jace lives on Ravnica just like Sorin lives on Innistrad. I think what he was really trying to say is that despite the fact that Jace will get a card, he may not be involved in the main plot of the block (just like Sorin on Innistrad).
    Quote from Jay13x
    @ Skibo - Where does it say Sorin lives on Ravnica, out of curiousity?

Sorry:

Sorin begs to differ. Actually Sorin is a good example [of why assuming that since a planeswalker has a connection to a plane means he'll be a main character in the storyline] since like Jace [Sorin who is from Innistrad] has a non-storyline reason for being on [the plane we are visiting]. ([Jace] lives [on Ravnica]).

* English is ugly sometimes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorin is from Innistrad, but wasn't invovlved in the storyline. Jace lives on Ravnica, but could have nothing to do with the storyline.
    Last edited by Skibo: 5/11/2012 4:39:26 PM
    I'd enjoy the Eldrazi brood lineages face rolling New Phyrexia. Problem is, the Eldrazi wouldn't stop eating all the things. Eventually they'd have to be trapped somewhere. As for Zendikar, it's probably getting devastated right now.
    Quote from LandBoySteve
    The only thing I'm waiting to rotate is whiny Magic players who bitch about Magic cards.

Big Thanks to Xeno for sig art <3.
    oh, im sure its toast.

i tbh, just want to see a Ravnican Military response to a full-blown planar Phyrexian invasion.
    or, (to tie in that Gideon fellow..) Eldrazi instead. Smile
    Quote from Barinellos

@Necrosis: The Eldrazi cannot leave Zendikar yet, they are still bound to physical form by the Hedron Matrix powering that spell. They also never had a problem with the walkers and wouldn't be in physical form anyways if they did follow Jace.

Yeah but it's not like we are going to get much warning when they do escape Zendikar, eh? Most likely when we see them next it will be a complete surprise at the start or end of a block.
    Quote from The Big Dunks

It turns out that the melting ice caps aren't the cause of the rising ocean levels, it's OP's river of tears.

I support the closure of the Gutter.
    actually there's something.

would wizards ever just make a block, say return to....mercadia....and then release the eldrazi last block, and be like "SURPRISE"?

i just dont know anymore :p
    Quote from Ratinyourwalls
    Yeah but it's not like we are going to get much warning when they do escape Zendikar, eh? Most likely when we see them next it will be a complete surprise at the start or end of a block.

Doubt it. That's where Ravnica comes in. Gideon will be there recuiting for his fight against the Eldrazi, and I assume they will be heading back to Zendikar to face them. The problem with the Eldrazi is that they really can't be fought once they get free since they'll just stay in the blind eternities happily eating planes while the inhabitants have no idea what's going on. I guess Sorin could use his blood magic to lure them into corporeal form like he did last time, but it seems very likely that the final battle will be staged on Zendikar.
    Quote from Necrosis
    actually there's something.

would wizards ever just make a block, say return to....mercadia....and then release the eldrazi last block, and be like "SURPRISE"?

i just dont know anymore :p

Nope, it's not really a surprise.

Mercadia would slowly lose all it's lifeforce until it is turned into a husk. The inhabitants would be at a loss to understand what is happening. ANd in the end nothing would get ressolved.

Why? Because the Eldrazi don't have Copreal forms, they live in the blind eternities, eating planes from the outside. The only reason they set foot in Zendikar is because the three oldwlakers bound them to the plane and imprisoned them. If they escape, that's it. End of the story. They can't be stopped.*

* And i don't mean that in a figurative manner, the way Creative has set them up, they can't be stopped. There is no logical way to stop them.
    i didnt mean it like that.

i meant, like do you think it possible for creative to simply DROP something like the eldrazi straight into the last, or second, set of a previously thought unaffilitated set.

....like Return to; wherever-the-hell.
    Quote from Necrosis
    i didnt mean it like that.

i meant, like do you think it possible for creative to simply DROP something like the eldrazi straight into the last, or second, set of a previously thought unaffilitated set.

....like Return to; wherever-the-hell.

And I think what Skibo's saying is that, no, that's not possible. Because the Eldrazi don't normally even interact with the plane, dropping them on the third set of a block would result in a terrible story.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes