Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

Quote from Bracador

I love the design and art, though. Honestly, if Ashiok is just a one-off planeswalker like Tibalt, I don't think I'd be too disappointed. I liked the design of the Dapper Devil as well.

With that we can imagine a fashion battle. Tibalt vs Ashiok, Zoolander style.

Quote from Unskilled Ninja

Just a note, Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite from the same set lacks breasts, so it's not like every female non-human has them.

I'd concede to that. But with Elly here, hips don't lie. :p
    Male, probably zombi from Theros
    Quote from krishnath
    The sole exception to the re-usability of planeswalkers is if they kill them off in a block. (Like they did with Venser), and even that is no 100% guarantee if they feel they can tell a good enough story by bringing them back (Like Taysir in Homelands).

It was a different administration back then. They're pretty intent on the "dead is dead" thing now.
    Quote from Jedezter
    Male, probably zombi from Theros

There is no doubt in my mind that Ashiok is a Returned. Check the figure on the right in this picture.

The gender, however, is unknown. No curves, but the face is rather feminine. Unless we get some lore, I'm undecided.
    [I was permabanned and all I got to show for it was .... well, nothing.]
    I really doubt it - seeing how Doug stated that
    Ashiok is not from Theros (...) Over time, Ashiok’s power has taken a physical toll. The mage’s face has fallen away to smoky shadow.

Similiar appearance perhaps, but a completely different cause.
    Quote from Istreddify
    I really doubt it - seeing how Doug stated that

Similiar appearance perhaps, but a completely different cause.

... then Ashiok's entire design is a failure. Not only are the abilities crap, even for a UB 'walker, he/she looks exactly like an unmasked Returned?
    Not exactly, no - apart from the paleness, what is left of his face seems normal - not so much in the case of the Returned (they also seem to loose their ears - or have them "merged" to the skull").
    He looks like enough of one to have me confused. Better?
    Quote from Syphon

That's why i think he should have been saved for a block or two in teh future. If they where so intent on pushing him into Theros, why not give him a silly hat and make him a Cabalist Dementia Summoner? Cause that's what he is. A Dementia Summoner.
    Last edited by Volrath: 9/5/2013 3:26:33 PM

Thanks to SpiderBoy4 @ High-Light Studio's for the awesome banner

“I once had an entire race killed just to listen to the rattling of their dried bones as I waded through them.”
    —Volrath

I am petitioning for the removal of mythic rarity. Sig this to join the cause!
    He summoned my dementia alright. I mean, how is he NOT a Returned?
    Quote from Eingya
    Agree that Ashiok sounds Indian/Middle Eastern (Hinting at a Arabian-Nights inspired set in the future? The dream-theme and stuff would also fit).

Also the demonstration that black planeswalkers are the coolest.

.... we've had an Arabian-Nights themed set already. It was called.... Arabian Nights.
    Quote from Izanagi_Deus
    .... we've had an Arabian-Nights themed set already. It was called.... Arabian Nights.

That means nothing. We've had two Ravnica sets and, after a fashion, 4 Lorwyn ones.
    Also, Seht's Tiger has to have come from somewhere.
    Love love LOVE the gender-neutral thing Ashiok has. Shkle looks really cool, although I don't think there's room for shklim in future blocks however. No real room for character development.
    Getting a prostate exam from a leper who walks away with 9 fingers is better than the Twilight Novels
    Quote from Syphon

Yes ;P

Quote from Syphon
    That means nothing. We've had two Ravnica sets and, after a fashion, 4 Lorwyn ones.

That is a completely different thing - having a second plane with exactly the same theme is somewhat unlikely, as is a revisit in any of the ones based so directly on real world (like Arabian Nights and Portal)

Also, Seht's Tiger has to have come from somewhere.

From a time rift perhaps? Wink
    Quote from Syphon

Um, white skin as opposed to black, no mask, clothing inspired by Hindu design aesthetic, half it's head is missing yet it still has recognizable human features on what's left?

I kinda want an upper view, to see what's left in the head.
    Quote from Volrath
    That's why i think he should have been saved for a block or two in teh future. If they where so intent on pushing him into Theros, why not give him a silly hat and make him a Cabalist Dementia Summoner? Cause that's what he is. A Dementia Summoner.

Dementia Summoning is not limited to Cabalists. And only the greatest of the Dementia Summoners had a hat worth mentioning.

brb lighting a candle for Skellum.

Quote from Syphon

He's not returned because it's not from the plane. I fail to see how this is difficult.

Quote from MaRo »
    Flavor is flexible enough that you can justify just about anything. The color pie has to be held mechanically to a higher standard.

Vendilion Clique-1v1(Work in Progress), Oona-Combo(retired), Oona-Control, Wrexial
    Quote from Jivanmukta
    Dementia Summoning is not limited to Cabalists..

Until now it was.

“I once had an entire race killed just to listen to the rattling of their dried bones as I waded through them.”
    —Volrath

Quote from Smokestack
    Um, white skin as opposed to black, no mask, clothing inspired by Hindu design aesthetic, half it's head is missing yet it still has recognizable human features on what's left?

Again, I turn you to this picture. The guy on the right has the same pale skin, same facial blur. And I didn't look at the clothes.
    Quote from Volrath
    Until now it was.

Almost positive the bad guy in The Purifying Fire was referred to as one. So assuming I'm right, there's that. Well, technically it was Dementia Caster but still. Same stuff.

Also, it's silly to assume that somewhat vague magical abilities are restricted to specific sects in an infinite multiverse.

Quote from MaRo »
    Flavor is flexible enough that you can justify just about anything. The color pie has to be held mechanically to a higher standard.

Vendilion Clique-1v1(Work in Progress), Oona-Combo(retired), Oona-Control, Wrexial
    Quote from Syphon
    Again, I turn you to this picture. The guy on the right has the same pale skin, same facial blur. And I didn't look at the clothes.

I know that picture. Black skin, melded face. Ashiok doesn't have a face and has very pale skin.

Quote from Jivanmukta
    Almost positive the bad guy in The Purifying Fire was referred to as one. So assuming I'm right, there's that. Well, technically it was Dementia Caster but still. Same stuff..

The vampire? Walbert from the Order of Heliud? (Haven't seen the similarity with Heliod before. Heh.)

Quote from Jivanmukta
    Also, it's silly to assume that somewhat vague magical abilities are restricted to specific sects in an infinite multiverse.

Can't wait to see a second Golem planeswalker with a collection of powerfull of artifacts inside him. Big universe and all.

—Volrath

Quote from Barinellos
    It was a different administration back then. They're pretty intent on the "dead is dead" thing now.

Story trumps logic. We should know this by now. Wink
    It's about time for the reserved list to die, for the sake of Vintage and Legacy (And Commander).

- Feed the Wyrm, Evolve or Die.

- Never stand in the way of evolution, you'll just get trampled. Grin
    Quote from Smokestack
    I know that picture. Black skin, melded face. Ashiok doesn't have a face and has very pale skin.

I don't see the black skin. It's quite light. But then again, I haven't made any art for Magic lately. (Or ever.)
    Quote from Link
    I'm sure other people are wondering what exactly Ashiok is. Is (s)he a Horror? A nightmare? A human or Returned with some magical deformation? I hope there's a flavor article about this.

Sorry if this isn't in quite the right place. I wasn't sure if this should go in speculation or not.

I think Ashiok's female. And not a Returned, just someone who's so steeped in nightmare there's been some warping. I'm fairly certain she is/was human to start with. I doubt that "human" applies any more, though. Heck, I doubt female applies any more.

EDIT: lol, meganathed. This is what I get for trying to post and do science at the same time.
    Last edited by kaburi: 9/5/2013 5:01:28 PM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes