Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

I'm sure other people are wondering what exactly Ashiok is. Is (s)he a Horror? A nightmare? A human or Returned with some magical deformation? I hope there's a flavor article about this.

Sorry if this isn't in quite the right place. I wasn't sure if this should go in speculation or not.
    ATTACHMENTS
    • pr263_bytguvhbjnkdmfd
    Link

CCC Contest Wins:
    DCC [Month]|2
    I think its a male (boob test and all). Evocative of a Returned. If tha'ts the case, it makes more sense to make him look ambiguous, since sex is an identifiable trait.

AzoriusAnd when things start to happen,Azorius
    don't worry. Don't stew.
    Just go right along.
    You'll start happening too.

OH!
    THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
    I've already sent off a tumblr note to Doug pestering him about it.
    And expressing our displeasure that notables such as Ashiok and Xenagos are being revealed WITHOUT ANY DAMN RELEVANT INFO besides the card strategy.
    Yeah, he does lack breasts, which is a feature even inhuman females with female torsos tend to have in magic. Sheoldred, Whispering One probably doesn't need those other than to identify her as female.
    Last edited by Link: 9/4/2013 11:38:03 PM
    Link

CCC Contest Wins:
    DCC [Month]|2
    No matter how or where you choose to play Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver, it's going to be a wild ride. There's a big element of random when we're flipping cards for value off the top of our opponent's library, but it's clear that the numbers favor Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver, especially if he gets to sit around for more than a single turn.

Male, presumably.

The interesting part is that there's only one "he" used to refer to Ashiok. The rest of the article uses "it" for Ashiok. It's as if Ashiok was meant to be gender-ambiguous but the author accidentally let slip a "he."
    Quote from Guesswork
    So, you're a jellybean connoisseur.

Boy, do you love jellybeans! More importantly, you love good jellybeans, meaning root beer flavored jellybeans. Because those are the good ones, and the other ones are bad.

Quote continued here.
    Quote from Uii
    I think its a male (boob test and all). Evocative of a Returned. If tha'ts the case, it makes more sense to make him look ambiguous, since sex is an identifiable trait.

I don't think he's related to the Returned because the bottom half of his face still looks "normal", where the Returned have no faces.

Being a planeswalker he's not necessarily from Theros, and the name "Ashiok" does not strike me as sounding Greek (although I could be wrong).
    Quote from Axelle Blitzer
    Male, presumably.

The interesting part is that there's only one "he" used to refer to Ashiok. The rest of the article uses "it" for Ashiok. It's as if Ashiok was meant to be gender-ambiguous but the author accidentally let slip a "he."

A lot of players refer to every card/creature as a he, regardless of flavor, so it would make sense that story-wise this character really is an it.
    Since it costs a lot to win
    And even more to lose...
    So Doug Beyer just revealed a decent chunk about Ashiok here.
    Quote from Guesswork

Boy, do you love jellybeans! More importantly, you love good jellybeans, meaning root beer flavored jellybeans. Because those are the good ones, and the other ones are bad.

Quote continued here.
    Thanks!

So Ashiok's not a native.

Voldemort comes to mind.

don't worry. Don't stew.
    Just go right along.

OH!
    THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
    One other thing to note: Ashiok is not referred to as a "he" in Doug's explanation either. Or, for that matter, an "it." Ashiok is referred to as "Ashiok", "the mage", "this otherworldly mage", and "the nightmare weaver".
    Last edited by Axelle Blitzer: 9/5/2013 12:30:58 AM
    Quote from Guesswork

Quote continued here.
    Ashiok looks weird...

From Doug blog it seems like it could have been a Oldwalker once and after the Mending it stayed in that form...
    about Kalonian Hydra
    Quote from Georg51
    Then you have to make a fool of yourself by suggesting that I would ever lose to you playing this soon-to-be junk Mythic.
    Ashiok is my new favorite Planeswalker I think.
    DCI Rules Advisor
    "Do you have the courage to ride with the devil?"

"Knowledge is such a burden. Release it. Release all your fears to me."
    Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

EDH
    blue manaGrimgrin, Corpse-Born (Competitive, UB Combo/Reanimator)black mana(RETIRED)
    DimirLazav, Dimir Mastermind (Competitive, UB Voltron/Control)Dimir

Legacy
    WUManalessBDredgeRG

Mountains tap for red. Islands tap for blue. Comboing out is sweet, especially against you.
    Would there be any credence behind the notion that the -iok suffix lends to some Mirrodin connection?

don't worry. Don't stew.
    Just go right along.

OH!
    THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
    Quote from Uii
    Would there be any credence behind the notion that the -iok suffix lends to some Mirrodin connection?

There really wouldn't be.
    First, unless Ashiok had a nim's mantle that's been ripped off, there's no trace of metal on any place common amongst any of the races.
    Aside from that, Mirran names really don't follow that kind of pattern. Just look at all the various Mirran names we have.
    Ashiok... Sounds pseudo Indian (as in the country).

It's clothing seems to have some mid-eastern, central Asian influences.

Ashiok could be from a world loosely based on the middle east or India. This is purely speculation of course, but he does remind me of the dark aspects of Indian, Sumerian, and Babylonian mythology.

Edit: My guess appears to be correct to an extent. Ashiok is an Indian name.
    Last edited by krishnath: 9/5/2013 5:25:21 AM
    It's about time for the reserved list to die, for the sake of Vintage and Legacy (And Commander).

- Feed the Wyrm, Evolve or Die.

- Never stand in the way of evolution, you'll just get trampled. Grin
    They way Doug avoids referring to Ashiok by a gendered pronoun really makes it seem that Ashiok is meant to be gender-neutral.

EDIT: By the way, I really like the little figure in the smoke next to Ashiok.
    Link

CCC Contest Wins:
    DCC [Month]|2
    I like the sex neutral approach; it's almost like Ashiok is a being that has changed so much that such human identifiers no longer apply.

Also, damn, I really want to learn more about this character.
    Quote from Link
    Yeah, he does lack breasts, which is a feature even inhuman females with female torsos tend to have in magic. Sheoldred, Whispering One probably doesn't need those other than to identify her as female.
    Just a note, Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite from the same set lacks breasts, so it's not like every female non-human has them.
    Love is in the airThe wedding is over. Now it's time for the honeymoon.Love is in the air

Thanks to Rivenor of Miraculous Recovery Signatures!
    Question to Doug Beyer on Tumblr: So is Ashiok, Nightware Weaver a male or a female? And what race does he/she belong to?

Answer:
    Would knowing that be more comforting to you?

ASHIOK IS NOT ABOUT COMFORTING KNOWLEDGE.

Grin
    Yes, I know Squirrel in my name is spelled wrong. At least it's better than my Symbiotic Wurm proxy that made incest tokens -_-

Commanders:
    :symg::symu: Momir Vig/Deadeye Navigator :symg::symu:
    black mana Chainer, Dementia Master black mana
    red mana Krenko, Mob Boss red mana
    :symw::symu::symb::symr::symg: Progenitus :symw::symu::symb::symr::symg:
    :symu::symb::symg: Damia, Stone Sage :symu::symb::symg:
    :symu::symb::symg: The Mimeoplasm :symu::symb::symg:
    Agree that Ashiok sounds Indian/Middle Eastern (Hinting at a Arabian-Nights inspired set in the future? The dream-theme and stuff would also fit).

Also the demonstration that black planeswalkers are the coolest.
    The attire looks like it's heavily influenced by Indian designs, which I find extremely disappointing for reasons I cannot disclose. At the same time, I'd love a set visually inspired by designs originating from the Indian subcontinent.

It also seems to be missing a large portion of the cranium, a trait I find strangely appealing.

Apparently Ashiok is a Sanskrit name meaning "not causing sorrow"
    el oh el
    matches the wardrobe at any rate

Quote from Smokestack
    The attire looks like it's heavily influenced by Indian designs, which I find extremely disappointing for reasons I cannot disclose.

Then why would you bring it up. >:I
    Is actually rather hairy.
    Level 1 Judge
    I write flavor articles for RoxieCards.
    I play Magic at Freedom Cardboard in Alpharetta, Georgia.
    Quote from hairlessThoctar
    Then why would you bring it up. >:I

Because I'm a horrible human being.

Quote from Smokestack
    Because I'm a horrible human being.

Nah, you are no worse than the rest of us, unless you're secretly a serial killer or something. Smile
    It's about time for the reserved list to die, for the sake of Vintage and Legacy (And Commander).

Quote from krishnath
    Nah, you are no worse than the rest of us, unless you're secretly a serial killer or something. Smile

Fate. I feel like it has been tempted.

As for Ashiok, I know our need for information is insatiable, but I think we might be scrutinizing the name origin a bit too much. After all, I believe Elspeth is English and Jace is Greek.

I love the design and art, though. Honestly, if Ashiok is just a one-off planeswalker like Tibalt, I don't think I'd be too disappointed. I liked the design of the Dapper Devil as well.
    Quote from Bracador
    Fate. I feel like it has been tempted.

As for Ashiok, I know our need for information is insatiable, but I think we might be scrutinizing the name origin a bit too much. After all, I believe Elspeth is English and Jace is Greek.

I love the design and art, though. Honestly, if Ashiok is just a one-off planeswalker like Tibalt, I don't think I'd be too disappointed. I liked the design of the Dapper Devil as well.

I doubt Tibalt is one of.

The thing with planeswalkers is that they can reuse them whenever and wherever they like. We will see Tibalt again, the question is not if, but when.

The sole exception to the re-usability of planeswalkers is if they kill them off in a block. (Like they did with Venser), and even that is no 100% guarantee if they feel they can tell a good enough story by bringing them back (Like Taysir in Homelands).

Of course, the lack of recoverable body in the case of Venser, kinda makes it hard for them to resurrect him as a planeswalker (Now, phyrexian zombie on the other hand...).

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes