[INFO]The Order of the Books

"In what order am I supposed to read the books?" is without doubt the most asked question here on the MTGSally Storyline forum. So, here's a thread on the subject, to answer the question once and for all!

The Magic books are divided into cycles, usually of 3 books. Sometimes these cycles make up greater story arcs, but usually they can be read on their own. In this post I shall first discuss the biggest story arcs. If you're looking for some quick reads without much continuity to muddle through, I'd advise you to scroll past the biggest lists.

The Weatherlight Saga
    The longest, most well known story arc so far is the Weatherlight Saga. It contains the Artifacts Cycle, the Masquerade cycle, the Invasion cycle and the book Rath and Storm.
    This is the order in which the books where released, and the order in which I would read them.

Rath and Storm
    The Brother's War
    Planeswalker
    Time Streams
    Bloodlines
    Mercadian Masques
    Nemesis
    Prophecy
    The Thran
    Invasion
    Planeshift
    Apocalypse

This is not the chronological order though. The chronological order goes like this:

The Thran
    The Brother's War
    Planeswalker
    Time Streams
    Bloodlines
    Rath and Storm
    Mercadian Masques
    Nemesis
    Prophecy
    Invasion
    Planeshift
    Apocalypse

The argument for reading the books in chronological order is that it's easier to understand as some questions are answered right away. The argument against it is that those questions keep a cool mysterious vibe. It's really up to you which order you take: if you go for the mystery, read the books in the order they were released. If you don't care about the mystery, read them in chronological order.

Generally storyline fans consider the Brother's War a very good novel that is also a perfectly fine read on its own. Prophecy is generally considered utter dross and pretty much every storyline fan will agree that you're better of getting a summary of the internet than spending time actually reading it.

Although it's not necessary to understand the plot, the Ice Age saga is loosely linked to the Brother's War and Planeswalker novels. It can be read best between those two. There is a similar situation with the Gerrard's Quest comic. It is mostly just a retelling of Rath & Storm with more focus on some events the novel glossed over. You can easily skip it, but if you want to read it, it's probably best to do it right after reading Rath & Storm.

Ice Age cycle
    The Ice Age saga fits between the Brothers' War and Planeswalker, but can also be read on its own. While the Brothers' War explains how the setting of this cycle came into existence, it's not necessary read it to understand this cycle. The only thing that might be puzzling to people who haven't read Brothers' War (or Planeswalker) is a 3 page cameo by a certain character in the final book of the cycle.
    The Ice Age cycle should be read in this order:

The Gathering Dark
    The Eternal Ice
    The Shattered Alliance

Fans reaction to this cycle has been very good.

The Otaria Saga
    The Otaria Saga exists of the Odyssey cycle and the Onslaught cycle. They should be read in the order the where released:

Odyssey
    Chainer's Torment
    Judgment
    Onslaught
    Legions
    Scourge

The cycle is almost self contained, but Scourge has a lot of references to the Weatherlight Saga.

Fans reaction to Chainer's Torment has been very good. Legions and Scourge however, are considered by many to be the worst two Magic books there are. Scourge is just a confusing mess and has been mostly ret-conned out of existence by Wizards of the Coast. Most people here on the board will advise you to stop reading this cycle after Judgment.

Legends I cycle
    Legends I is entirely stand alone. It has received an okay fans response, but is rather hard to acquire these days.

Johan
    Jedit
    Hazezon

Legends II cycle
    The Legends II cycle can be read entirely stand alone. In a way it follows up on the Kamigawa story, but the link is incredibly minor (the hero of Legends II is a descendant of the hero of Kamigawa), so you don't have to have read Kamigawa to understand this.
    While this story is necessary to understand parts of Future Sight, Legends two is a complete story on its own.
    Despite the name this cycle has nothing to do with the Legends I cycle. It's just that both where based on cards from the Legends expansion.

Assassin's Blade
    Emperor's Fist
    Champion's Trial

Mirrodin cycle
    The Mirrodin cycle is a direct continuation of Scourge, but is a lot more self contained.

Moons of Mirrodin
    The Darksteel Eye
    The Fifth Dawn

Fan's reaction to this cycle has been mostly negative. Darksteel is very crappy, Fifth Dawn is okay.

Kamigawa cycle
    The Kamigawa cycle can be read entirely stand alone. It is followed up on in the Legends II cycle and the Time Spiral cycle, but you don't have to read those for the entire story.

Outlaw: Champions of Kamigawa
    Heretic: Betrayers of Kamigawa
    Guardian: Saviors of Kamigawa

Fans response to this cycle has been quite good.

Ravnica cycle
    Ravnica is entirely stand alone. It has received a good reaction from the fans.

Ravnica: City of Guilds
    Guildpact
    Dissenssion

Time Spiral cycle
    The Time Spiral cycle continues on plotlines left from the Weatherlight Saga, the Otaria Saga, the Mirrodin cycle, the Ice Age cycle, the Kamigawa cycle and the Legends II cycle. Thus I'd advise newer reader to stay away from this, as it's could be very confusing Wink

Time Spiral
    Planar Chaos
    Future Sight

Lorwyn/Shadowmoor cycle
    These books are an entirely stand alone tetralogy that are quite good, but not great.

Lorwyn
    Morningtide
    Shadowmoor
    Eventide

Block Novels
    Following Lorwyn, novels for each set were abandoned in favour of having one novel per block. The following are the block novels for Alara block, Zendikar block and Scars of Mirrodin block.

Alara Unbroken
    Zendikar: In the Teeth of Akoum
    Scars of Mirrodin: The Quest for Karn

Fan reaction to all three of these has been generally negative.

Planeswalker Novels
    To highlight the planeswalkers now showing up on the cards, novels featuring particular planeswalkers were started in 2009. Each novel focuses on different planeswalkers, noted below.

Agents of Artifice - Jace, Liliana, Tezzeret
    The Purifying Fire - Chandra, Gideon
    Test of Metal - Tezzeret, Nicol Bolas, Jace

Fan reaction to all three of these has been generally positive.

Other Novels Etc.

Greensleeves cycle
    The Greensleeves cycle is entirely stand alone. Arena can be read on its own, but some of its characters will return later on in the cycle. This cycle is over 10 years old and thus very hard to acquire in some places.

Arena
    Whispering Woods
    Shattered Chains
    Final Sacrifice

Anthologies
    The anthologies are mostly stand alone, although some of the short stories contained inside tie-in with the Weatherlight, Ice Age and Otaria stories. None of these short stories are necessary to understand those sagas, but sometimes you have to have read the sagas to understand the short stories. Some characters from the short stories also continue in later anthologies'.
    Tapestries
    Distant Planes
    Colors of Magic
    Myths of Magic
    Dragons of Magic
    Secrets of Magic
    Monsters of Magic

Stand Alone Books
    The following books are entirely stand alone:

The Cursed Land
    Prodigal Sorcerer
    Ashes of the Sun
    Song of Time
    And Peace Shall Sleep
    Dark Legacy

The Planeswalkers' War Saga
    The story of magic has also been told in a number of comic book miniseries. Some stand alone, but most tie into a greater arc. Armada didn't release the books in chronological order though, and the last few miniseries where never printed, thus the story misses a few chapters and has no published ending. Still, for completion's sake: here's the order in which the miniseries are supposed to go:

Elder Dragons #1-#2
    Dakkon Blackblade #1
    Arabian Nights #1 - #2
    Antiquities War #1 to #4
    The Urza-Mishra War #1 - #2
    The Brother's War (unpublished)

(Note: the Antiquities War, the Urza-Mishra war and the Brothers' War have been replaced by the Brothers' War novel, so you can read that instead.)
    Fallen Empires #1-#2
    Ice Age #1 to #4

(Note: Parts of the Ice Age comics have been ret-conned in the Eternal Ice novel. Since those ret-con's don't really work in the context of the other comics, I wouldn't suggest reading Eternal Ice instead of Ice Age if you want to know the story of the comics)
    Shandalar #1-#2
    Alliances (unpublished)
    Homelands #1
    The Shadow Mage #1 to #4
    Nightmare #1
    Wayfarer #1 to #5
    Prelude to War (unpublished)
    The Planeswalkers' War (unpublished)

(Note: The story of the Planeswalkers' War is sort-of told in the computer game "Battlemage". Sort-of, because the ending of course depends on your actions in the game.)

Other Comics
    These comics are all stand-alone.

Gerrard's Quest #1-#4
    Gerrard's Quest is essentially a re-telling of Rath and Storm, but with more focus in things that the book paid less attention to. Neither is necessary to understand the other and both can thus be read on their own. If you want to read this in the context of the Weatherlight Saga, I'd suggest reading it directly after Rath and Storm.

Jedit Ojanen #1-#2
    This is essentially the same story as the Legends I cycle, except far shorter. Legends I was intended as a re-imagining of this story.

Fallen Angel #1

Serra Angel #1
    Last edited by Stardust: 5/11/2012 3:34:27 PM
    Yes, I know Squirrel in my name is spelled wrong. At least it's better than my Symbiotic Wurm proxy that made incest tokens -_-
    Thanks for the tips.

Small nitpick; Mystery not mistery. At least in the U.S.A.
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

(thanks ;))
    Yes, I know Squirrel in my name is spelled wrong. At least it's better than my Symbiotic Wurm proxy that made incest tokens -_-
    For the Weatherlight Saga, however, i would suggest reading RATH AND STORM before MERCADIAN MASQUES rather than at the beginning of the whole thing --

also, i think there is an important separation between the Artifact's Cycle and the Weatherlight Saga (in which I would include Rath and Storm, Masques Cycle, and Invasion Cycle)

one more thing...I LOVED Prophecy and I have no idea why anybody would think that it sucked. In the Masquerade Cycle i thought the best was Nemesis, then Prophecy, and finally Mercadian Masques.
    Last edited by SpectreEvincar: 4/7/2008 3:00:07 AM
    This was very helpful instead of looking on Amazon for the dates published!:)
    MASS EFFECT = BEST GAME EVER
    This is the most organized, helpful guide I've seen online for the books. I was looking for some place that organized them in logical order, glad someone did, thanks.
    I was wondering should ravnica block be read before the new agents of artifice?
    From what others have said, it really doesn't matter. AoA mentions what happened to Ravnica's guilds, though, so you might want to read the Ravnica Cycle before AoA.
    AIM - EidTelNVil
    Xbox Live - eidtelnvil
    PlayStation Network - eidtelnvil

Currently reading It by Stephen King
    Currently playing Persona 4
    I am aware this might be utterly wrong, but I'm certain Brothers' War is the first MtG novel. So how come does the list give this credit to Rath and Storm? Could somebody please clear this up for me? thanks
    Right now we might also include the webcomics, since they are canon and are starting to fill in gaps and explain the relationships between MWSNBNPWs.
    I have a small question that i feel would be stupid to make a new thread for.

I want to read the Ice Age novels because Ice Age is my favorite set of cards, and while collecting a complete set I've gotten curious about the flavor. I see that The Brother's War sets up the events of Ice Age, and The Thran sets up the events of The Brothers War.

If I read these two before I read the Ice Age books, how much more will I get out of them? I understand you can read the Ice Age books by themselves and be completely fine, but is it better to have read The Thran and The Brothers War before?
    Quote from guasu
    Media is not making me steal. But in a way is like the story of the very hot girl with the short skirt teasing the old sick guy with a history of rape.

Quote from urzassedatives
    This is the rumor mill, not the make a wish foundation.
    You don't nessecarily have to read The Thran but it would be best if you read Brothers War. Without giving too much away the main character of the Ice Age cycle is related to the main character of Brothers War. Also what happens at the end of Brothers War directly effects everything happening in Ice Age.

Overall Brothers War and the three Ice Age novels are considered the best amongst the entire novel set so I say go for reading brothers War then the Ice Age novels.
    WB
    "In what order am I supposed to read the books?" is without doubt the most asked question here on the MTGSally Storyline forum. So, here's a thread on the subject, to answer the question once and for all!

The Magic books are divided into cycles, usualy of 3 books. Sometimes these cycles make up greater story arcs, but usualy they can be read on their own. In this post I shall first discuss the biggest story arcs. If you're looking for some quick reads without much continuity to muddle through, I'd advise you to scroll past the biggest lists.

The Weatherlight Saga
    The longest, most well known story arc so far is the Weatherlight Saga. It contains the Artifacts Cycle, the Masquerade cycle, the Invasion cycle and the book Rath and Storm.
    This is the order in which the books where released, and the order in which I would read them.

Rath and Storm
    The Brother's War
    Planeswalker
    Time Streams
    Bloodlines
    Mercadian Masques
    Nemesis
    Prophecy
    The Thran
    Invasion
    Planeshift
    Apocalypse

This is not the chronological order though. The chronological order goes like this:

The Thran
    The Brother's War
    Planeswalker
    Time Streams
    Bloodlines
    Rath and Storm
    Mercadian Masques
    Nemesis
    Prophecy
    Invasion
    Planeshift
    Apocalypse
    The argument for reading the books in chronological order is that it's easier to understand as some questions are answered right away. The argument against it is that those questions keep a cool misterious vibe. It's really up to you which order you take: if you go for the mistery, read the books in the order they where released. If you don't care about the mistery, read them in chronological order.

Generally storyline fans consider the Brother's War a very good novel that is also a perfectly fine read on it's own. Prophecy is generally considered utter dross and pretty much every storyline fan will agree that you're better of getting a summary of the internet than spending time actualy reading it.

Altough it's not nececary to understand the plot, the Ice Age saga is losely linked to the Brother's War and Planeswalker novels. It can be read best between those two. There is a similar situation with the Gerrard's Quest comic. It is mostly just a retelling of Rath & Storm with more focus on some events the novel glossed over. You can easily skip it, but if you want to read it, it's probably best to do it right after reading Rath & Storm.

Ice Age cycle
    The Ice Age saga fits between the Brothers' War and Planeswalker, but can also be read on it's own. While the Brothers' War explains how the setting of this cycle came into existance, it's not nececary read it to understand this cycle. The only thing that might be puzzling to people who haven't read Brothers' War (or Planeswalker) is a 3 page cameo by a certain character in the final book of the cycle.
    The Ice Age cycle should be read in this order:

The Gathering Dark
    The Eternal Ice
    The Shattered Alliance

Fans reaction to this cycle has been very good.

The Otaria Saga
    The Otaria Saga exists of the Odyssey cycle and the Onslaught cycle. They should be read in the order the where released:

Odyssey
    Chainer's Torment
    Judgement
    Onslaught
    Legions
    Scourge
    The cycle is almost self contained, but Scourge has a lot of references to the Weatherlight Saga.

Fans reaction to Chainer's Torment has been very good. Legions and Scourge however, are considered by many to be the worst two Magic books there are. Scourge is just a confusing mess and has been mostly ret-conned out of existance by Wizards of the Coast. Most people here on the board will advise you to stop reading this cycle after Judgement.

Mirrodin cycle
    The Mirrodin cycle is a direct continuation of Scourge, but is a lot more self contained.

Moons of Mirrodin
    The Darksteel Eye
    5th Dawn

Fan's reaction to this cycle has been mostly negative. Darksteel is very crappy, 5th Dawn is okay.

Time Spiral cycle
    The Time Spiral cycle continues on plotlines left from the Weatherlight Saga, the Otaria Saga, the Mirrodin cycle, the Ice Age cycle, the Kamigawa cycle and the Legends II cycle. Thus I'd advise newer reader to stay away from this, as it's probably very confusing to you Wink

Time Spiral
    Planar Chaos
    Future Sight

Kamigawa cycle
    The Kamigawa cycle an be read entirely stand alone. It is followed up on in the Legends II cycle and the Time Spiral cycle, but you don't have to read those for the entire story.

Outlaw: Champions of Kamigawa
    Heretic: Betrayers of Kamigawa
    Guardian: Saviors of Kamigawa

Fans responce to this cycle has been quite good.

Legends II cycle
    The Legends II cycle can be read entirely stand alone. In a way it follows up on the Kamigawa story, but the link is increadibly minor (the hero of Legends II is a descendant ofr the hero of Kamigawa. That's it.), so you don't have to have read Kamigawa to understand this.
    While this story is nececary to understand parts of Future Sight, Legends two is a complete story on it's own.
    Despite the name this cycle has nothing to do with the Legends I cycle. It's just that both where based on cards from the Legends expansion.

Assassin's Blade
    Emperor's Fist
    Champion's Trial

Legends I cycle
    Legends I is entirely stand alone. It has received an okay fans responce, but is rather hard to aquire these days.

Johan
    Jedit
    Hazezon

Ravnica cycle
    Ravnica is entirely stand alone. It has recieved a good reaction from the fans.

Ravnica: City of Guilds
    Guildpact
    Dissenssion

Greensleeves cycle
    The Greensleeves cycle is entrely stand alone. Arena can be read on it's own, but some of it's characters will return later on in the cycle. This cycle is over 10 years old and thus very hard to aquire in some places.

Arena
    Whispering Woods
    Shattered Chains
    Final Sacrifice

Anthologies
    The anthologies are mostly stand alone, although some of the short stories contained inside tie-in with the Weatherlight, Ice Age and Otaria stories. None of these short stories are nececary to understand those saga's, but sometimes you have to have read the sagas to understand the short stories. Some characters from the short stories also continue in later anthologies'.
    Tapestries
    Distant Planes
    Colors of Magic
    Myths of Magic
    Dragons of Magic
    Secrets of Magic
    Monsters of Magic

Stand Alone Books
    The following books are entirely stand alone:

The Cursed Land
    Prodigal Sorcerer
    Ashes of the Sun
    Song of Time
    And Peace Shall Sleep
    Dark Legacy

The Planeswalkers' War Saga
    The story of magic has also been told in a number of comic book miniseries. Some stand alone, but most tie into a greater arc. Armada didn't release the books in chronological order though, and the last few miniseries where never printed, thus the story misses a few chapters and has no published ending. Still, for completion's sake: here's the order in which the mini series are supposed to go:

Elder Dragons #1-#2
    Dakkon Blackblade #1
    Arabian Nights #1 - #2
    Antiquities War #1 to #4
    The Urza-Mishra War #1 - #2
    The Brother's War (unpublished)
    (Note: the Antiquities War, the Urza-Mishra war and the Brothers' War have been replaced by the Brothers' War novel, so you can read that instead.)
    Fallen Empires #1-#2
    Ice Age #1 to #4
    (Note: Parts of the Ice Age comics have been ret-conned in the Eternal Ice novel. Since those ret-con's don't really work in the context of the other comics, I wouldn't suggest reading Eternal Ice instead of Ice Age if you want to know the story of the comics)
    Shandalar #1-#2
    Alliances (unpublished)
    Homelands #1
    The Shadow Mage #1 to #4
    Nightmare #1
    Wayfarer #1 to #5
    Prelude to War (unpublished)
    The Planeswalkers' War (unpublished)
    (Note: The story of the Planeswalkers' War is sort-off told in the computer game "Battlemage". Sort-off, because the ending of course depends on your actions in the game.)

Other Comics
    These comics are all stand-alone.

Gerrard's Quest #1-#4
    Gerrard's Quest is essentially a re-telling of Rath and Storm, but with more focus in things that the book payed less attention to. Neither is nececary to understand the other and both can thus be read on their own. If you want to read this in the context of the Weatherlight Saga, I'd suggest reading it directly after Rath and Storm.

Jedit Ojanen #1-#2
    This is essentially the same story as the Legends I cycle, except far shorter. Legends I was intended as a re-imaganing of this story.

Fallen Angel #1

Serra Angel #1

Ummmm, People who say Legions and Scourge are the worst books need to remember some of the other books. Don't get me wrong. These books are not good at all, but hands down the worst two books I have read are Phrophecy and Oddyseey. Oh man those books were bad.

The Mirrodin Cycle was SO GOOD with book one, Loved it.. then yes, just like the info says. It turned to hard to read CRAP lol.
    More points for Kamigawa and Ravnica, Hidetsugu and Kos were epic.
    I agree with Cyriss on the Mirrodin block. Book one was good, then the last two turned it all to crap.
    Last edited by Blue Warlock: 5/4/2009 6:54:31 PM
    EDH Decks:
    Halfdane

Sek'Kuar
    Please remember to autocard, just do [ card ] CARD NAME [ / card ] and for decks you can cover the whole thing in one deck tag like this: [ deck ] All of the cards in the deck [ / deck ]
    Im planing to buy,
    Agents of artifice,
    The Putrifying fire and
    Alara unbroken,

which order should i read them in?
    It doesn't really matter...but I would suggest you read them in the order of their release (Agents of Artifice, Alara Unbroken, and Purifying Fire) By the way, I love that you called it "Putrifying Fire". Haha.
    Old school Books are exponentially better.
    Anyone remember when Magic was good?
    Quick question:

How do all of the more recent novels fit into things? Most particularly, the Lorwyn books, the Alara ones (whichever there are) and the Agents of Artifice and Purifying Fire novels?
    Standard:
    BRG Jund Midrange GRB //// B Vampire Aggro B //// WRU Patriot Control URW
    Extended:
    RGW Zoo WGR
    Legacy:
    RUG Canadian Thresh GUR

EDH:
    U Arcum Dagsson U //// WB Teysa, Orzhov Scion BW //// UR Jhoira of the Ghitu RU

Special thanks to spiderboy4 of High~Light Studios for the banner
    Lorwyn comes after Time Spiral but is a stand alone series.

Lorwyn cycle
    The Lorwyn cycle is a stand alone series liek Kamigawa and Ravnica. Part of it, though small, are effected by the things that happen in Dominaria but they are minor.

Lorwyn
    Morningtide

Shadowmoor cycle
    The Shadowmoor cycle comes directly after the Lorwyn cycle and is set on the same plane.

Shadowmoor
    Eventide

Agents of Artifice
    The first Planeswalker novel, this novel does not follow any card sets for Magic the Gathering, it is a stand along novel introducing us to the new Planeswalkers. It is also the only Book in the series that comes in hardback.

The next two novels can be read in whichever order you like. They both come after Agents of Artifice but what happens in one book happens at the same time as the other book.

Alara Unbroken
    Alara Unbroken follows the Alara cycle of cards. Unlike previous card sets, Alara only recieved one novel for all three sets.

Purifying Fire
    This is the second Planeswalker novel in the series and is not attached to any card set. It is the latest book in the series to come out.

Hope that helps Smile
    WB
    That helps enourmously. Thanks.

How connected are the newer Planeswalker books to the Time Spiral stuff? Also, could one read the old Artifacts cycles, skip Ice Age and the rest of the Weatherlight Saga (frankly, not wanting to track them all down...) and jump back in with the second Legends cycle, then Time Spiral, AoA, Alara Unbroken/Purifying Fire and not have anything too key left out?

I'd like to weave in and out probably with Kamigawa, Ravnica and Lorwyn whenever I can get my hands on them because those do interest me. Should they be included in the aforementioned reading list to make sure everything is explained by the later portions?

It should probably be noted the old Artifacts Cycles are now collected in omnibus editions for $15 USD. Cheaper online or with discounts like Barnes and Noble membership ones.
    Standard:
    Extended:
    RGW Zoo WGR
    Legacy:
    RUG Canadian Thresh GUR

EDH:

The newer novels, the ones I mentioned above, were created to be stand alones. WotC are creating them so newer platers can join in on the fun. Sets like Kamigawa, Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, Ravnica, Alara and the Planeswalker novels can be read without reading any prior novels. Though the plane of Ravnica is in Agents of Artifice and mentions places and things like "The Guilds" in the book that you probably won't "get" unles syou read the Ravnica novels or research that card set.

The new Planeswalekr novels are connected to Time Spiral because Bolas is in both of them(well in AOA and Cursed Veil) and by reading Time Spiral you find out why Bolas is doing what he is doing.

Still, you will miss out on some things. For one the main villain in the current novels is Nicol Bolas who is in Legends Cycle 2 and the Time Spiral Saga. If the mending is mentioned or anything involving the states Pwalkers used to be in you will be at a loss.

So basically if you are confused about anything in the newer novels, the little things, read the older ones. Plus most of the olde rnovels are better then some of the newer ones like Alara.

You can read the Artifacts cycle and move on but you shoudl read from Brothers War to Apocalypse in order. Meaning do not read Brothers war then Invasion and expect to know what happened between the two books. Trust me though, the entire Dominaria saga is a great read. It has its ups and lots of downs but the tale of Urza vs Yawgmoth and everythign else involved is an amazing story.

Sorry for the tl;dr post but hope it helps.
    WB
    Don't worry about post length. I'm a forum junky. :p

I know most of the storyline vaguely. It is more specific events I don't know. Like, I know of Nicol Bolas. I know vaguely of the old Elder Dragon wars, of his time with the second Legends cycle, etc. I know what he was up to on Alara with the Conflux, I just want to actually read the novels rather than have the snippets I've pieced together from what I've been told, cards and occasionally wikis.

And the Artifacts Cycles are from The Thran to Bloodlines IIRC. It was there that I intended to leave off unless they made more omnibus editions to make acquiring them easier. The Kamigawa and Ravnica books I am more likely to want to hunt down simply because the settings are extremely interesting, but I know how the Rathi Overlay and such happened, so I am less concerned with the rest of the Weatherlight Saga, especially since they are more annoying to find.
    Standard:
    Extended:
    RGW Zoo WGR
    Legacy:
    RUG Canadian Thresh GUR

EDH:

Quote from Alviaran
    Don't worry about post length. I'm a forum junky. :p

I know most of the storyline vaguely. It is more specific events I don't know. Like, I know of Nicol Bolas. I know vaguely of the old Elder Dragon wars, of his time with the second Legends cycle, etc. I know what he was up to on Alara with the Conflux, I just want to actually read the novels rather than have the snippets I've pieced together from what I've been told, cards and occasionally wikis.

And the Artifacts Cycles are from The Thran to Bloodlines IIRC. It was there that I intended to leave off unless they made more omnibus editions to make acquiring them easier. The Kamigawa and Ravnica books I am more likely to want to hunt down simply because the settings are extremely interesting, but I know how the Rathi Overlay and such happened, so I am less concerned with the rest of the Weatherlight Saga, especially since they are more annoying to find.

The Thran is actually a prequel released around the time of Apocalypse and isn't really part of the artifact cycle. It's part of the overall story though.
    Quote from Barinellos
    The Thran is actually a prequel released around the time of Apocalypse and isn't really part of the artifact cycle. It's part of the overall story though.

I know it is a prequel and helps explain how we ended up with Yawgmoth in the first place. It is combined with The Brothers War in one omnibus now and is referred to as the Artifacts Cycle I. Planeswalker, Time Streams and Bloodlines have been collected into the Artifacts Cycle II omnibus. Both of those are easy to grab since they are currently in print editions, hence why I'd read The Thran anyway, since I'll have it.
    Standard:
    Extended:
    RGW Zoo WGR
    Legacy:
    RUG Canadian Thresh GUR

EDH:

The problem is alot of us, myself included, refer to the Artifacts cycle as the books without the Thran. It was great the Thran were in there but for people who have been reading th ebooks from the beginning when we say Artifacts Ccycle, we actually mean Brothers War to Bloodlines.
    WB
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes