Gift of Immortality + Rescue from the Underworld

From Theros spoilers:

Rescue from the Underworld
    4B
    Instant Uncommon
    As an additional cost to cast Rescue from the Underworld, sacrifice a creature.
    Choose target creature card in your graveyard. Return that card and the sacrificed card to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of your next upkeep. Exile Rescue from the Underworld.

Gift of Immortality
    2W
    Enchantment Rare
    Enchant creature
    When enchanted creature dies, return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control. Return Gift of Immortality to the battlefield attached to that creature at the beginning of the next end step.

Question 1: Can I target the same creature I'm sacrificing with Rescue from the Underworld or do I need to have a creature in the graveyard and one on the battlefield before I can cast it?

Question 2: I control a creature enchanted with Gift of Immortality. The creature dies during my opponent's end step for any reason, and I cast Rescue from the Underworld on it before Gift's trigger resolves. The creature returns on the battlefield during my upkeep. Does Gift still return to enchant that creature at the beginning of the next end step or does it stay in the graveyard?
    Last edited by Santiago: 9/9/2013 8:06:22 AM
    Quote from Santiago

Question 1: Can I target the same creature I'm sacrificing with Rescue from the Underworld or do I need to have a creature in the graveyard and one on the battlefield before I can cast it?

You choose your targets before you pay costs of a spell. Since you can't sacrifice a creature that's already in your graveyard, you will need to have 1 creature on the battlefield to sacrifice and one in your graveyard to rescue.

Not sure on the second question.
    Rules Advisor as of 03/03/2013
    Quote from Santiago
    Question 2: I control a creature enchanted with Gift of Immortality. The creature dies during my opponent's end step for any reason, and I cast Rescue from the Underworld on it before Gift's trigger resolves. The creature returns on the battlefield during my upkeep. Does Gift still return to enchant that creature at the beginning of the next end step or does it stay in the graveyard?
    Rescue from the Underworld will resolve and set up a delayed triggered ability to return the two creatures to the battlefield. Then Gift of Immortality's triggered ability resolves, returning the creature it had been enchanting to the battlefield and setting up a delayed triggered ability to return itself.

At the beginning of your upkeep step, the delayed trigger from Rescue from the Underworld fires off. When it resolves, it's unable to return the creature you targeted with the spell because it's not in your graveyard anymore, but the ability will do as much as it can and return the creature you sacrificed. Then during your end step, Gift of Immortality will come back and enchant the first creature again (since it was the effect from Gift that brought it back.)

In short: Using Rescue doesn't really accomplish anything in this scenario unless you're trying to trigger ETB/dies abilities.
    DCI Level 1 Judge
    Quote from Artscrafter
    Rescue from the Underworld will resolve and set up a delayed triggered ability to return the two creatures to the battlefield. Then Gift of Immortality's triggered ability resolves, returning the creature it had been enchanting to the battlefield and setting up a delayed triggered ability to return itself.

At the beginning of your upkeep step, the delayed trigger from Rescue from the Underworld fires off. When it resolves, it's unable to return the creature you targeted with the spell because it's not in your graveyard anymore, but the ability will do as much as it can and return the creature you sacrificed. Then during your end step, Gift of Immortality will come back and enchant the first creature again (since it was the effect from Gift that brought it back.)

In short: Using Rescue doesn't really accomplish anything in this scenario unless you're trying to trigger ETB/dies abilities.

You're right, I didn't read the cards carefully enough. I was convinced, for some reason, that Gift brought the creature back at the end step, together with the enchantment.

What would happen if the creature was brought back by another effect, such as Corpse Dance, instead? Would Gift still return to the battlefield and enchant the creature?
    Quote from Santiago
    You're right, I didn't read the cards carefully enough. I was convinced, for some reason, that Gift brought the creature back at the end step, together with the enchantment.

What would happen if the creature was brought back by another effect, such as Corpse Dance, instead? Would Gift still return to the battlefield and enchant the creature?

When the ability goes to resolve it will try to do everything it can, first it will try to return the creature to the battlefield but won't find it in the graveyard (remember it's a new object on the battlefield). Because it can't find the card to return it and it can't attach to it. The ability goes on the stack and will resolve but nothing will happen and the enchantment will stay in your 'yard.
    L1 Judge
    Cincinnati, OH, USA
    [c]Black Lotus[/c]=Black Lotus
    [c=Black Lotus]Lotus[/c]=Lotus
    [c=Black Lotus|Alpha]Lotus[/c]=Lotus
    [mana]WUBRGS-TQ-1-2-12-XY[/mana]=WUBRGS-TQ----XY
    [mana]{WU}{UB}{BR}{RG}{GW}{WB}{BG}{GU}{UR}{RW}{2W}{2U}{2B}{2R}{2G}[/mana]=(W/U)(U/B)(B/R)(R/G)(G/W)(W/B)(B/G)(G/U)(U/R)(R/W)(2/W)(2/U)(2/B)(2/R)(2/G)
    Activated Ability-(cost): (effect)
    Triggered Ability-Whenever/When/At ..., (effect)
    Replacement Effect-If/As ..., (effect)
    Quote from Artscrafter

Now, with regards the question 2:

Let's say I have 2 creatures: Creature A with gift of immortality and Creature B without it.

During my turn Creature A dies, which then in turn is retuned by Gift of Immortality, however the enchantment is no longer attached to creature A.

During my opponents turn, he destroys Creature A.

If I cast Rescue from the Underworld on Creature B, would both creatures come back at the beginning of my upkeep, including creature A with gift of immortality attached to it?

Thanks!
    Standard

GW Aggro
    RW Devotion

Testing with:

WUB Control
    Quote from L-I-TE
    Now, with regards the question 2:

Let's say I have 2 creatures: Creature A with gift of immortality and Creature B without it.

During my turn Creature A dies, which then in turn is retuned by Gift of Immortality, however the enchantment is no longer attached to creature A.

During my opponents turn, he destroys Creature A.

If I cast Rescue from the Underworld on Creature B, would both creatures come back at the beginning of my upkeep, including creature A with gift of immortality attached to it?

Thanks!

That won't work.
    When creature A died, it had setup the delayed trigger on Gift.
    then creature A died again.
    at this moment you cast Rescue sacrificing B to make A return from grave.
    then Gift will trigger and fail to find creature A, so the ability fizzles.
    then at the next upkeep both creatures come back to play.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes