Doubling the Mimic Vat

If I have Mimic Vat out and bring a token on the field, and said token gets copied (Due to, for example, Doubling Season, Spitting Image, what have you), does the copy of the token also gain both Haste and EOT: Exile?
    Commander Decks:
    Rakdos Rakdos Rakdos Lyzolda, the Sacrifice Witch Rakdos Rakdos Rakdos
    Simic Simic Simic Prime Card Drawer Zegana Simic Simic Simic
    Orzhov Azorius Dimir Oloro, Lifegaining Ascetic Dimir Azorius Orzhov
    Gruul Gruul Gruul Stonebrow, Trampling Hero Gruul Gruul Gruul
    red mana red mana red mana Purphoros, God of Pandemonium red mana red mana red mana
    blue mana blue mana blue mana Empress Galina, Tribal Aggro blue mana blue mana blue mana
    Depends on the effect used to create the copy.

Doubling season modifies the event that initially created the token so will still have haste but your are going to have to exile the creature in your next end step.

Spitting image creates a copy of a creature already on the battlefield so it won't have haste but you will get to keep the token it creates past the end of the current turn.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and start slitting throats.
    - H.L Mencken

I Became insane with long Intervals of horrible Sanity

All Religion, my friend is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination and poetry.
    - Edgar Allan Poe

The Crafters' Rules Guru

My helpdesk
    @Kahedron: I've been under the impression that "it gains haste" in Mimic Vat is equivalent to "that token has haste" in Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, and that the haste ability is a copiable value of the token. Is that not right?
    Stay a while, and listen...

I'm Mike, from The Mana Pool.

Check out my Tapped Out profile and comment on my decks!
    Quote from Rhadamanthus
    @Kahedron: I've been under the impression that "it gains haste" in Mimic Vat is equivalent to "that token has haste" in Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, and that the haste ability is a copiable value of the token. Is that not right?

I believe in the case of Mimic Vat, the token is granted haste. In the case of Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, the token itself has haste. The wording is slightly different.

In the case of the token, its granted haste the same way that another permanent would grant it haste (i.e. Racecourse Fury), the token itself doesn't actually have haste.
    And intuitively I would have thought that, but then the following rule was quoted in this conversation about a different but similar topic, and its use of the word "gain" makes me think otherwise:

Quote from CR 706.9a »
    Some copy effects cause the copy to gain an ability as part of the copying process. This
    ability becomes part of the copiable values for the copy, along with any other abilities that were
    copied.
    Stay a while, and listen...

I'm Mike, from The Mana Pool.

Check out my Tapped Out profile and comment on my decks!
    I don't believe its gaining haste as part of the copy step. My understanding is that the copy is created, and then that copy gains the haste ability.

The actual ruling would need to come from someone much smarter than I, but I don't believe the haste is granted as part of the copy effect.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes