Kiki-Jiki + Populate

Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker reads: tap symbol Put a token that's a copy of target nonlegendary creature you control onto the battlefield. That token has haste. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.

So, let's say I activate this ability to create a token creature. Then, I use Trostani, Selesnya's Voice populate ability to make a copy of that token creature... Does the "populated" copy also have haste and must be sacrificed at the beginning of the next end step?

Thanks! Smile
    Find me on MTGO and Twitter with the same username.

Standard: Boros Burn
    Modern: Mono-Green Devotion aka Nykthos Wave
    Legacy: Merfolk
    EDH: Derevi, Empyrial Tactician

Quote from dave78pdx
    Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker reads: tap symbol Put a token that's a copy of target nonlegendary creature you control onto the battlefield. That token has haste. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.

So, let's say I activate this ability to create a token creature. Then, I use Trostani, Selesnya's Voice populate ability to make a copy of that token creature... Does the "populated" copy also have haste and must be sacrificed at the beginning of the next end step?

Thanks! Smile

The token that populate creates will not have haste and will live past your end step!
    The token has haste which is an ability, therefore wouldn't the duplicate token have haste as well? If I copy a creature with haste, the token also has haste. Are you certain that haste isn't copied onto the token? The original "has haste".
    It's worded "That token has haste." not "Token with haste". So only the token from Kiki would have haste.
    "People underestimate Bob at their peril." - Rayland Givens
    Thanks, I understand. It's wonky though.
    The haste ability is native to the to the token that Kiki-Jiki creates. "That token has haste" is the same as saying "with haste". It would be an added ability in Layer 6 only if it said "gains haste" such as would happen with Echo Chamber.

So, a populated token that was created with Kiki-Jiki WILL have haste, but it won't have the associated delayed triggered ability to be exiled at end of turn.
    Level 3 Judge

This FAQ answers many of the common questions asked in the MTGS Rulings forum. Take a look! Smile

I'm the editor/content manager of the Magic Rules Tips Blog - Bookmark this site for daily tips about game and tournament rules.

"Abstract concepts of perfect judging run headlong into the realities of how people play the game." - Toby Elliott (papa_funk)

My Type 4 Stack -- DCI Documents -- Comp Rules
    For my own curiosity, how is it different from the ability-granting effect of a card like Dragon's Breath? ("Enchanted creature has haste")
    Stay a while, and listen...

I'm Mike, from The Mana Pool.

Check out my Tapped Out profile and comment on my decks!
    Dragon's Breath is generating a continuous effect, which applies in Layer 6.

Kiki-Jiki is creating a token from nothing, and setting the base characteristics of that object. It has all the copiable characteristics of the targeted creature, and it has haste. Treat all that as though it's printed on the token. Any other effects on it will apply using the layer system.
    Level 3 Judge

This FAQ answers many of the common questions asked in the MTGS Rulings forum. Take a look! Smile

I'm the editor/content manager of the Magic Rules Tips Blog - Bookmark this site for daily tips about game and tournament rules.

"Abstract concepts of perfect judging run headlong into the realities of how people play the game." - Toby Elliott (papa_funk)

My Type 4 Stack -- DCI Documents -- Comp Rules
    Dragon Breath grants an ability to the creature that affects it in the appropriate layer (6), but it doesn't change the creature's copiable characteristics. The haste-granting wording of Kiki-Jiki's ability is covered in the CR:

706.9a Some copy effects cause the copy to gain an ability as part of the copying process. This ability becomes part of the copiable values for the copy, along with any other abilities that were copied.
    Level 2 Judge Smile

Currently playing:

Standard: green mana blue mana black mana Controlol; red mana green mana white mana Elephants

Modern: blue mana white mana red mana Midrange ("Sometimes you just wanna @#$% punch someone in the face.")

Commander: blue mana red mana green mana Riku ("Some weird doubple spell thing happened")

Pauper: green mana blue mana black mana Dredge; blue mana black mana Control; blue mana Delvurrrr

My MTG blog
    Got it. Thanks arise shine, I missed that one while I was searching.
    Stay a while, and listen...

I'm Mike, from The Mana Pool.

Check out my Tapped Out profile and comment on my decks!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes