How do you play more than 1 land per turn?

I was reading the Return to Ravnica FAQ in this forum and saw this statement:

Quote from FAQ »
    * If more than one of these lands are entering the battlefield at the same time, you’ll decide whether to pay 2 life for each one individually, then put them all onto the battlefield. For example, if you have 3 life and two Hallowed Fountains are entering the battlefield at the same time, you could pay 2 life for only one of them, not both.

I'm still just getting back into Magic (started buying with Return to Ravnica), so I'm confused by this. I thought land cards were limited to 1 per turn. How could you play more than one?
    I am the one you warned me of.
    You are only allowed to "play" one land a turn, however, there are cards that put multiple lands into play as part of the spell or ability.

Check out Ranger's Path as an example
    Do you play Magic in the Niagara Region in Ontario? Check out our facebook group!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/416755838359501/
    Rules Advisor - As of Monday June 27, 2011
    L1 - As of December 16, 2012
    There are cards that allow you to play more than one land a turn (Explore, Azusa, Lost but Seeking and others), but other than an effect like that you are limited to one per round.
    My Website and Videos

Currently Playing

Standard
    GWBJunk TokensBWG

Modern
    GURScapeshiftRUG
    BGRDredgevineRGB
    URSTORM!RU
    UWTezzeret ControlWU

Legacy
    BWStonebladeWB
    BUGBUG ControlGUB
    Also, see scapeshift

As this card actually generates the multiple lands entering at the same time situation you asked about.
    Has: jank; Wants: Different Jank trade post

Grammar is the difference between knowing your ****, and knowing you're ****.
    fastbond, exploration
    Collaborative Pub: Ice Cold Thoughts Always On Tap
    Twitter- RogueSource.
    Decks: "Name one! I probably got it built In one of these boxes."
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Vintage will rise again! Buy a Mox today!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    (a Modern adaptation of a vintage proverb" "A control player can lead a jund player to water, but unless you cast spreading seas you cannot make jund drink of their own accord"
    Merfolk! showing magic players what a shower is since Lorwyn!
    Oracle of Mul Daya, I love her. A lot.
    I am Pubmaster Drax of The Library of COD Rage. Please check us out!

DCI Level 1 Judge

Currently Playing:
    Struggling to be content with the new ban list for Modern.
    We have established that there are spells and/or abilities that can bring more than one land into play per turn, and there are some that can bring more than one into play at the same time. Identifying which cards they are and how they can be used goes beyond the scope of a rules question, and is more a strategy question, and is not really appropriate for this thread.
    Currently playing:

Standard:
    WBRG Aggro-Reanimator Humans GRBW

Modern:
    UR Twinning RU
    G Venus Fly Trap G
    U Artifacts Aggro U

Legacy:
    B Reanimator B
    WU Stoneblade UW

EDH
    WBGGhave, Guru of SporesGBW
    URGRiku of the Two ReflectionsGRU
    WUBRGScion of the Ur-DragonGRBUW

Casual
    Far too many to list
    While naming a few examples can be helpful in illustrating a rule or ruling, I think it's safe to say that this thread is way past done.
    Level 2 Magic Judge

Please use card tags when you're asking a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes