Lingering Souls Deathrite Shaman Priority question.

My friends are having an argument about this ruling. One argues that there is no time in which his opponent has the priority to exile lingering souls with deathrite shaman. He says that as soon as it resolves since he is the active player he gains priority, but since the nonactive player wants to exile it first he says he gets the opporitunity at some point.
    Level 1 Judge.

Currently playing
    Competitive.
    Modern:UWRSplinter TwinUWR

EDH:
    URMelek, Izzet ParagonUR
    BWGGhave, Guuru of sporesBWG

Good thing I have book burning.
    He's right! The first person with priority as Lingering souls enters the graveyard is the active player; the player whose turn it is.
    Now, if Blood Artist was on the field, you would get a shot at exiling Souls, but only because Souls is a sorcery!
    You can't respond to flashback with a graveyard hate spell in order to stop it from happening, because it moves directly from the graveyard to the stack after the flashback cost is paid.
    EDIT: sorry, not blood artist. Blood Seeker. Get those two mixed up so often these days!
    Last edited by Kryptnyt: 10/29/2012 11:55:12 AM
    If Souls is the first spell in the stack and the only spell to resolve, then the stack closes and priority returns to the active player. So yes, your friend is right: the player who cast Lingering Souls retains priority and has the ability to immediately cast it's flashback.
    "The above post is the opinion of the poster and is not indicative of any stance taken by the President of the United States, Congress, the Department of Defense, the Pentagon, the Department of the Navy, or the United States Marine Corps."

Captain, United States Marines

"Peace through superior firepower."
    Yeah I thought so, I just wasn't sure thanks Smile
    Level 1 Judge.

Currently playing
    Competitive.
    Modern:UWRSplinter TwinUWR

EDH:
    URMelek, Izzet ParagonUR
    BWGGhave, Guuru of sporesBWG

Good thing I have book burning.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes