Protection from White and Day of Judgment

If Day of Judgment is used while Black Knight is on the battlefield, is the Black Knight destroyed?
    Earth is a world as cruel as those who call it home. Their brutal struggles scar the land even as it carves them in its image, a vicious circle spiraling out of control.
    It sure is.
    Protection from X stops 4 things:
    Damage from X is prevented.
    Enchanting/equipping by X is prohibited.
    Blocking by X is not allowed.
    Targeting by X is right out.
    Day does none of these things, so Black Knight dies.
    Back in my day, Wrath of God didn't kill Black Knight and that's the way we liked it. We also had to pay mana for our 1/1s. Kids and your Memnites. Get off my lawn!
    From all the DoJ's i've cast, yes, global effects cannot be prevented by protection, thats why emrakul, the aeons torn can be Oblivion ring'd, only indestructability will prevent board sweepers from doing their job.
    Quote from History
    Chancellor of the Forge
    Start with a hasty Goblin
    Swamp
    Mutagenic Growth
    Mutagenic Growth
    Mutagenic Growth
    Mutagenic Growth
    Tainted Strike

Also works in Standard.

Collecting Bonehoard
    Current Regular: 24
    Current Foil: 3
    Japanese: 1
    Quote from Tatekei
    From all the DoJ's i've cast, yes, global effects cannot be prevented by protection, thats why emrakul, the aeons torn can be Oblivion ring'd, only indestructability will prevent board sweepers from doing their job.

This is almost entirely inaccurate. Day of Judgement blows up Black Knight for a completely different reason than why Emrakul can be Oblivion Ringed; the former is because protection doesn't stop destruction, the latter is because Emrakul does not have protection from Oblivion Ring (Black Knight, for example, cannot be O-ringed.). It's also not true as a general statement that "global effects cannot be prevented by protection"; Kor Firewalker survives Pyroclasm because it has protection from red, and Pyroclasm attempting to deal damage.
    DCI Rules Advisor
    The single most useful link for Magic: Rules Resources
    Things I've noticed on this forum is that some people do not understand the "DEBT" Acronym.

Damage is prevented
    Enchanting/Equipping cannot happen
    Blocking by creatures of the color that the attacker has protection from is prohibited
    Targeting of colored spells and abilities of the protected color is prohibited.

from what I've noticed some people think that the "D" stands for "Destroy" Which is not the case. A global wrath effect with kill everything (Barring any shenanigans like indestructibility, and totem armor etc...) even if the creature has protection from a specific color or even if the creature has shroud
    Last edited by Sarkhan the Mongoloid: 10/11/2010 12:22:08 PM

Ex-DCI Level 1 judge
    Ex-Rules Advisor
    Then I'm still confused as to how an Oblivion Ring can get through. It is a White source that states specifically "exile another TARGET nonland permanent". How is this not targeting again? If it is White and Targets a permanent, if that permanent has protection from white, how is this possible? I'm sorta new to the deep logistics of the game so I am confused by this. I do understand the Day of Judgment thing as dealing damage and completely destroying a card are two completely different things. So the only conclusion I can draw in the case of the 15/15 Artifact mentioned is that a DofJ won't work because of the indestructable, but he is not protected from exiling. But then what confuses me is that OR is a white card. If he is protected from colored spells why is he not protected from OR too? Is it because it is an effect of the enchantment and not an actual spell cast? Can someone clear this up? Thanks

In the Rulings forum, a thread is considered dead after a week of inactivity. Next time, please make a new thread instead of replying to a dead thread. -Carsten
    Last edited by CarstenHaese: 9/30/2012 1:22:51 AM
    Quote from scooter2486
    Then I'm still confused as to how an Oblivion Ring can get through. It is a White source that states specifically "exile another TARGET nonland permanent". How is this not targeting again? If it is White and Targets a permanent, if that permanent has protection from white, how is this possible? I'm sorta new to the deep logistics of the game so I am confused by this. I do understand the Day of Judgment thing as dealing damage and completely destroying a card are two completely different things. So the only conclusion I can draw in the case of the 15/15 Artifact mentioned is that a DofJ won't work because of the indestructable, but he is not protected from exiling. But then what confuses me is that OR is a white card. If he is protected from colored spells why is he not protected from OR too? Is it because it is an effect of the enchantment and not an actual spell cast? Can someone clear this up? Thanks

A few things:
    1. Emrakul is not an artifact.
    2. Emrakul has protection from colored spells. Oblivion Ring is a spell while on the stack, but that isn't when it targets. It has a targeted ETB ability. Since abilities aren't spells, Emrakul doesn't have protection from it.
    3. Day of Judgment kills Emrakul because Emrakul isn't indestructible and protection doesn't prevent destruction effects.
    Epochalyptik from http://tappedout.net/
    EDH isn't about what you play, it's about who you play with.

[EDH]
    BUG Combo/Control:
    BUG Dominus - Dreamcrusher Edition GUB
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes