Sorcery Miracle cards

I cast a Think Twice in my opponents turn.
    I draw a Temporal Mastery and reveal it.

- Can I pay 1U to cast the card, even if it's a sorcery?
    Yes. The Miracle Casting overrides the normal casting timing rules.
    Banner by Austria Phantom

Quote from 22.55
    I cast a Think Twice in my opponents turn.
    I draw a Temporal Mastery and reveal it.

- Can I pay 1U to cast the card, even if it's a sorcery?

Yes, you can.

The Miracle Mechanic, creates a timing where you can cast a spell, when you normally couldnt.

Please note, that if this WASNT possible, non instant Miracles, would not work in the way you think they would, as you cannot cast Sorceries, during your draw step.
    DCI Rules Advisor
    Quote from QuantumTarantino
    Please note, that if this WASNT possible, non instant Miracles, would not work in the way you think they would, as you cannot cast Sorceries, during your draw step.
    This is misleading. When you get permission to cast a Miracle spell, you cannot cast anything normally, not even an Instant. The resolving Miracle trigger is what gives permission to cast the spell for its Miracle cost. Since you are currently resolving an ability, you do not have priority (no player does) and therefore don't have permission to cast a spell or activate an ability.
    Lapsed Rules Adviser.
    So if I flip a Miracle, what's the timing for casting Mana Leak? Does paying the Miracle Cost put the Spell on the stack?

Quote from LordSaturn
    I am personally in the 'patents are an unnecessary evil' camp.

Quote from jturphy
    Quote from H2O4Sho
    Smart move by Wizards, finally
    Yeah. The most profitable portion of the largest toy company in the world had clearly been making terrible decisions the last two years.
    Yes. You're still casting the spell, just not by paying its mana cost. It goes on the stack and can thus be countered.
    Banner by Austria Phantom

So it is counteed before I pay any costs?

Because that makes it seriously powerful.

Quote from LordSaturn

Quote from jturphy
    Quote from H2O4Sho
    Yeah. The most profitable portion of the largest toy company in the world had clearly been making terrible decisions the last two years.
    You still have to pay the miracle cost to cast the spell, which is before your opponent would get an opportunity to counter it.

DCI MTG Level 2 Judge

Simple math kids:

Redhead + Tsundere = Win
    Shimapan + Thigh Highs = Win
    To go through the specifics of this scenario:

1) Think Twice begins to resolve. You draw a card.
    2) It is a miracle card. In the process of drawing a card, you may reveal it. You reveal it. Miracle triggers, but does not go on the stack yet. Think Twice is still resolving.
    3) Think Twice finishes reolving, and is place into the graveyard (or exile if it was flashed back).
    4) SBA are checked, then all triggers that triggered are placed on the stack. The Miracle ability is placed on the stack.
    5) Both you and your opponent may respond to the Miracle triggered ability.
    6) If both players pass, Miracle triggered ability starts to resolve: it asks: Do you want to cast this card for its miracle cost?. Miracle is still resolving.
    7) Miracle has given you express permission to use mana and cast this spell during the resolution of the ability. If you choose to cast it, you pay the Miracle cost and place it on the stack. Miracle triggered ability is still resolving.
    8) After you have made your choice, Miracle triggered ability finishes resolving. It is removed from the stack.
    9) There is a Spell now on the stack. Players may respond to it as normal. If both players pass priority, it will resolve.
    EDH: Cromat | Tibor and Lumia[] | Vaevictis Asmadi | Nemata[Primer] | Ramirez dePietro[Pirate] Edric[C] | Kazuul[$50] | Tariel | Riku[$50] | Chainer | Evil Sygg | Jenara | Lazav | Daxos For brief descriptions of my EDH decks, or to view some of my casual creations, you can check out my Blog Post.
    <-
    ->
    I moderate the Commander Forums. Feel free to jump in my help desk if you have any questions for me.
    So:

Think Twice goes on the stack.
    Both players pass.
    Draw and reveal Temporal Mastery.
    Think Twice leaves the stack.
    Miracle Trigger goes on the stack.
    Both players pass. {At this point, anything you do is placed before the player decides to activate Temporal Mastery.}
    Miracle trigger resolves and you pay 1U.
    Temporal Mastery goes on the stack.
    Both players pass. {At this point you may play counterspells to negate Temporal Mastery.}
    Temporal Mastery resolves, and you continue play as normal.

Yes?

Quote from LordSaturn

Quote from jturphy
    Quote from H2O4Sho
    Yes, that is all correct. I assume by "continue play as normal," you mean carry on with this turn normally, then take your extra turn before you take your regular turn (if Temporal Mastery resolved).
    Level 3 Judge

This FAQ answers many of the common questions asked in the MTGS Rulings forum. Take a look! Smile

I'm the editor/content manager of the Magic Rules Tips Blog - Bookmark this site for daily tips about game and tournament rules.

"Abstract concepts of perfect judging run headlong into the realities of how people play the game." - Toby Elliott (papa_funk)

My Type 4 Stack -- DCI Documents -- Comp Rules
    Quote from YamiJoey
    So:

Think Twice goes on the stack.
    Both players pass.
    Draw and reveal Temporal Mastery.
    Think Twice leaves the stack.
    Miracle Trigger goes on the stack.
    Both players pass. {At this point, anything you do is placed before the player decides to activate Temporal Mastery.}
    Miracle trigger resolves and you pay 1U.
    Both players pass. {At this point you may play counterspells to negate Temporal Mastery.}
    Temporal Mastery resolves, and you continue play as normal.

Yes?

Almost - this part is where it breaks down

Once both players pass, it is too late to counter, as the spell is now resolving, you need to counter, before both players pass priority.
    DCI Rules Advisor
    At that point I meant "Both players pass, but if they didn't....".

Thanks. Slight detour from the main post, but yeah. XD

Quote from LordSaturn

Quote from jturphy
    Quote from H2O4Sho
    Just so I am clear, #5 is the point at which Stifle effects would or could be used? Or is this not an eligible target.

Thanks

Quote from bobthefunny
    To go through the specifics of this scenario:

1) Think Twice begins to resolve. You draw a card.
    2) It is a miracle card. In the process of drawing a card, you may reveal it. You reveal it. Miracle triggers, but does not go on the stack yet. Think Twice is still resolving.
    3) Think Twice finishes reolving, and is place into the graveyard (or exile if it was flashed back).
    4) SBA are checked, then all triggers that triggered are placed on the stack. The Miracle ability is placed on the stack.
    5) Both you and your opponent may respond to the Miracle triggered ability.
    6) If both players pass, Miracle triggered ability starts to resolve: it asks: Do you want to cast this card for its miracle cost?. Miracle is still resolving.
    7) Miracle has given you express permission to use mana and cast this spell during the resolution of the ability. If you choose to cast it, you pay the Miracle cost and place it on the stack. Miracle triggered ability is still resolving.
    8) After you have made your choice, Miracle triggered ability finishes resolving. It is removed from the stack.
    9) There is a Spell now on the stack. Players may respond to it as normal. If both players pass priority, it will resolve.
    Yes, 5 is the point where you'd stifle the miracle ability to prevent the spell from being cast. The spell would remain in their hand.
    What if you have a Temporal in your graveyard and you drew one more Temporal. You chose to miracle it but your opponent played Surgical Extraction, targetting the Temporal in your graveyard...will you still get Temporal's effect?
    Awesome Sig by Rivenor and Avatar by DNC
    No, you would not. When you draw your Temporal Mastery, you have to reveal it, which puts the miracle trigger on the stack. However, until the miracle trigger resolves, the spell is still in your hand. Your opponent can respond to this trigger with Surgical Extraction on a Temporal Mastery and exile all copies of Temporal Mastery in your graveyard, hand and library. When the miracle trigger goes to resolve, the spell won't be in your hand, so it won't do anything.

On a side note, Temporal Mastery exiles itself when it resolves, so the mastery would have to get to the graveyard some other way.

Mafia Summary:
    Town Victory Rate: 43%
    Mafia Victory Rate: 67%
    SK/Neutral Victory Rate: N/A
    Overall Victory Rate: 54%
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes