planeswalkers emblems

Can someone please clarify this please. I have been told that planeswalkers embems do not stack anymore, so if i have 2 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad emblems it only counts once. Is this true?
    You've been misinformed.

Sorin's and Venser's emblems are cumulative in multiples. Elspeth's and Koth's emblems are redundant in multiples.
    yeah i thought that was the case, cause some people in my area that say that they don't stack i know venser's 1 can stack. Will being in a different country have different rules to what they should be?
    No, the mechanics of magic are the same no matter what country you're playing in.
    Quote from exedus
    yeah i thought that was the case, cause some people in my area that say that they don't stack i know venser's 1 can stack. Will being in a different country have different rules to what they should be?

If there's somehow a difference between the rules (probably due to a mistranslation), I'm fairly certain there's something to the extent of the English rules taking precedence in the official rules doc somewhere - which I don't have handy right now. In either case, all Emblem's stack, though as has been mentioned, some of them are redundant in multiples.

Quote from Ravarshi
    This game isn't JUST about skill anymore, it's about skill, luck and Budget.

main reason I love Limited
    ok thanks, i keep being told different things by people who play in my area and they are more experienced than i am, i do like to check lol

well i'm from the UK, and some experienced players have told me that the emblem ability doesn't stack so theres no point having more than 1 even if its Sorin's 1.

Double-post merged. -Carsten
    Last edited by CarstenHaese: 3/6/2012 8:55:55 PM
    Quote from exedus »
    well i'm from the UK, and some experienced players have told me that the emblem ability doesn't stack so theres no point having more than 1 even if its Sorin's 1.

They'd be wrong, pure and simple. I'm not sure if there's a rules quote to give you, but I'm certain there's no rules quote to back up what THEY are saying.

Quote from Ravarshi
    This game isn't JUST about skill anymore, it's about skill, luck and Budget.

main reason I love Limited
    no i dont think there is a rules quote for it either but thanks for all your help anyways.
    Here's everything the comprehensive rulebook has to say about emblems.
    113. Emblems

113.1. Some effects put emblems into the command zone. An emblem is a marker used to represent an object that has one or more abilities, but no other characteristics.

113.2. An effect that creates an emblem is written “[Player] gets an emblem with [ability].” This means that [player] puts an emblem with [ability] into the command zone. The emblem is both owned and controlled by that player.

113.3. An emblem has no characteristics other than the abilities defined by the effect that created it. In particular, an emblem has no name, no types, no mana cost, no color, and no expansion symbol.

113.4. Abilities of emblems function in the command zone.

113.5. An emblem is neither a card nor a permanent. Emblem isn’t a card type.
    Note that there's nothing that says that multiple emblems are redundant. Sorin's emblem works just like any other static ability that creates a continuous effect that increases power, like Honor the Pure
    Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

Venser, the Sojourner

If you go to the gather ruling for these, they say specifically that both emblems are cumulative. Just something to show people to clarify their confusion.
    Quote from (cryogen)
    EDH is like French fries: some people like waffle cut, crinkle cut, or plain old straight cut, and while there's slight flavor difference and personal preference, at the end of the day they're still fries.
    All abilities "stack". It's just that in some cases, they're redundant (like giving a creature Flying twice, or the previously mentioned Elspeth emblem). There's no rule I can think of that gives an instance where they don't stack, though nearly every keyword has some sort of comment about whether multiples of an ability are redundant or not.
    Retrodrome!
    Hoi, hoi, u embleer hrair
    M'saion ulé hraka vair.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes