Falkenrath Aristocrat vs Tragic Slip

Hey guys, just had a quick question of a scenario me and a buddy ran into. I cast Falkenrath Aristocrat and swung with her in the combat step. In response, my buddy used Tragic Slip on her to kill her. I used her effect, sacrificing a human token to give her a +1/+1 counter, so that she would survive the -1/-1, but obviously doing that caused a creature to die this turn.

So my question is, does Tragic Slip trigger for -1/-1, or -13/-13?

Thanks Smile
    I make art!

Sorry for any grammar/spelling errors, I mostly post from my tablet/smartphone.

Currently playing:
    Standard:
    GWBReanimator
    GUWMidrange
    UBRControl

Commander:
    White Makes Right (Mikaeus, The Lunarch)
    Izzet Fun Yet? (Jhoira of the Ghitu)
    Wit's End (Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge)
    Tragic Slip does not have any triggered abilities, but by the time it resolves, a creature has died this turn, so it gives the targeted creature -13/-13.
    Ah poop. Well that's good to know - thanks! Smile
    I make art!

Currently playing:
    Standard:
    GWBReanimator
    GUWMidrange
    UBRControl

Commander:
    TL;DR version - tragic slip checks for morbid at the time it resolves, not as it is cast.

the exact order of events:

1. Tragic Slip goes on the stack.
    2. You sacrifice a human to give +1/+1. That ability goes on the stack "on top" of Tragic Slip.
    3. The chain resolves backwards - so Falkenrath Aristocrat gets +1/+1 as that ability resolves, and then Tragic Slip resolves - and at the time of resolution, morbid is active, so Tragic Slip gives -13/-13

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard

Standard: RDW red mana
    So basically in this scenario, there is no way (short of using other cards/abilities) that Aristocrat would survive?
    I make art!

Currently playing:
    Standard:
    GWBReanimator
    GUWMidrange
    UBRControl

Commander:
    Not with just the cards mentioned above, no. Either the Aristocrat gets -1/-1 and dies for being a 3/0, or you sacrifice a human and the Aristocrat gets -13/-13 and dies for being a -8/-11.
    DCI Level 1 Judge
    Gotcha, thanks for the clarifications guys!
    I make art!

Currently playing:
    Standard:
    GWBReanimator
    GUWMidrange
    UBRControl

Commander:
    The only way out of this situation is to sacrifice 13 humans to make her a 17/14 Grin
    ]
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes