Hexproof Vs Enchantments

So say I play Numbing Dose on my opponent's creature. Then, later on in their turn/a few turns later, they play Asceticism. What happens to my Enchantment?

1) It stays and continues to do everything.
    2) It stays, but they may still untap their creature during the upkeep step, and their controller takes 1 damage.
    3) It stays and nothing happens.
    4) It dies.
    5) I lose.
    6) They lose.
    7) We all lose.

???

You need card tags in future posts. Read the Forum Guidelines. -Carsten
    Last edited by CarstenHaese: 8/22/2011 4:41:16 PM

Quote from LordSaturn
    I am personally in the 'patents are an unnecessary evil' camp.

Quote from jturphy
    Quote from H2O4Sho
    Smart move by Wizards, finally
    Yeah. The most profitable portion of the largest toy company in the world had clearly been making terrible decisions the last two years.
    7).

Seriously, Auras only target when they are cast and on the stack. If there is an aura on a creature already, giving it hexproof/shroud wont do anything to the enchantment.
    Do you play Magic in the Niagara Region in Ontario? Check out our facebook group!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/416755838359501/
    Rules Advisor - As of Monday June 27, 2011
    L1 - As of December 16, 2012
    Quote from jskura
    7).

Seriously, Auras only target when they are cast and on the stack. If there is an aura on a creature already, giving it hexproof/shroud wont do anything to the enchantment.

Love it, cheers.

Quote from LordSaturn
    I am personally in the 'patents are an unnecessary evil' camp.

Quote from jturphy
    Quote from H2O4Sho
    Smart move by Wizards, finally
    Yeah. The most profitable portion of the largest toy company in the world had clearly been making terrible decisions the last two years.
    It's worth noting, I feel, that giving that creature protection from the color of the aura will destroy the aura.
    My 450 Peasant Cube
    Proud creator of the Modern Uroboros Primer and the Pauper Boros Landfall Primer
    My Trade Thread and Buylist
    Rules Advisor
    Modern: WBRUroborosRBW BRGLiving EndGRB
    Legacy: UHigh TideU
    EDH: GAzusa, Lost but SeekingG URGAnimar, Soul of ElementsGRU

The only thing more annoying than the "dies to removal" argument is the constant assertion that the creature in question would be better with hexproof.
    Quote from PopeJP
    It's worth noting, I feel, that giving that creature protection from the color of the aura will destroy the aura.

This is technically wrong, although it has the same effect in most cases. What actually happens is that state-based actions will cause the aura to become unattached from the creature, following which they will put the aura into its owner's graveyard because auras aren't allowed to be on the battlefield without being attached to anything.
    DCI Level 1 Judge
    So because of the state-based effects, any auras on a creature before asceticism comes out, would be therefor unattached from the creature... because they target the creature still? My brother has found forums that say the enchantment, aura, doesn't target the creature no more therefor wont be affected by asceticism play onto the battlefield, which i disagree with because the enchantment, like equipments and other cards, are attached to the creature, therefor targeting the creature that has the enchantment, artifact, or any other card that could attach itself to it...
    That's incorrect. An aura spell only targets while on the stack. An aura permanent is not targeting the thing it's attached to. It would only become unattached if the "Enchant [thing]" becomes invalid (e.g., an aura with "Enchant Creature" is on an animated Inkmoth Nexus that stops being a creature when the turn ends), or the thing it's attached to gains protection from a quality of that aura (e.g., Mind Control on a creature that later gains protection from blue).

Being attached to something is not the same as targeting something. A permanent can never target something, though a permanent is often the source of an ability that targets something.
    Level 3 Judge

This FAQ answers many of the common questions asked in the MTGS Rulings forum. Take a look! Smile

I'm the editor/content manager of the Magic Rules Tips Blog - Bookmark this site for daily tips about game and tournament rules.

"Abstract concepts of perfect judging run headlong into the realities of how people play the game." - Toby Elliott (papa_funk)

My Type 4 Stack -- DCI Documents -- Comp Rules
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes