Ancestral Vision - Isochron Scepter

If I imprint Ancestral Vision with Isochron Scepter and then use Isochron Scepter's ability, do i get the 3 cards immediately?

Thank you in advance Smile
    I herd u liekd mudkips
    Ancestral Vision is a sorcery.

However, if you could magically imprint it, then you'd just draw the 3 cards when you activate it.
    Quote from ZapPi
    If I imprint Ancestral Vision with Isochron Scepter and then use Isochron Scepter's ability, do i get the 3 cards immediately?

Thank you in advance Smile

If you do that, you are cheating, because Ancestral Vision is a sorcery.

Scepter can only imprint instants.
    Quote from InZoMN1Ac
    Ancestral Vision is a sorcery.

However, if you could magically imprint it, then you'd just draw the 3 cards when you activate it.

Not true, let's say he imprits Brainstorm on the scepter, when he activates the scepter's ability, the ABILITY goes on the stack.
    Then as the ability resolves, he copies the exiled card and then decides if he casts the copy. And if he does so, the copy goes on the stack and he goes through each step of casting a spell.

When that copy resolves, he'll get the effects.
    Quote from Zoidberg
    Not true, let's say he imprits Brainstorm on the scepter, when he activates the scepter's ability, the ABILITY goes on the stack.
    Then as the ability resolves, he copies the exiled card and then decides if he casts the copy. And if he does so, the copy goes on the stack and he goes through each step of casting a spell.

When that copy resolves, he'll get the effects.

While this is true... I don't think that's what he means by immediately.
    I think the question though not worded perfectly is getting at what happens when you copy a spell with suspend, do you suspend it, or is it cast immediately.... which the answer to that is it's cast immediately.
    "Heterological" is heterological if and only if "heterological" is autological
    [Legacy]
    ANT
    Imperial Painter
    Quote from GundamGuy
    While this is true... I don't think that's what he means by immediately.
    I think the question though not worded perfectly is getting at what happens when you copy a spell with suspend, do you suspend it, or is it cast immediately.... which the answer to that is it's cast immediately.

OP asked that at the moment he activates the scepter's ability, does he draw three cards.

Answer is no (and on so many levels XP)
    If ancestral vision were an instant, would he be able to imprint it? Ιsochron needs an instant with mana cost 2 or less, meaning 2,1 or zero. Ancestral vision has no mana cost at all.
    Quote from kostool13
    If ancestral vision were an instant, would he be able to imprint it? Ιsochron needs an instant with mana cost 2 or less, meaning 2,1 or zero. Ancestral vision has no mana cost at all.

Converted mana cost of 2 or less, which is not the same thing as mana cost. The converted mana cost of a card is its mana cost translated to a number. Every card has one. No mana cost translates to a converted mana cost of 0. Evermind, which is the only instant without a mana cost that I can think of, can be imprinted on a scepter just fine, and each activation would draw you a card.
    Last edited by MadMageQc: 3/28/2010 9:46:16 AM
    DCI Lvl 1 Judge

Madness, My Sadness
    I Am My Own Savior
    -Iced Earth
    Quote from kostool13

It needs an instant with converted mana cost (CMC) 2 or less, not mana cost. An object without a mana cost has a CMC of 0.
    Thanks
    hmm, i thought Ancestral Vision didnt have a converted mana cost, that's why i cannot flash it back with Dralnu, the Lich Lord
    How to make a deck that doesnt ruin the well defined spirit of EDH: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=292246

10.) No taxing cards.
    If i wanted to pay 1 more on my Fresh Volunteers, then id just have played Pearled Unicorn.
    Quote from Tspice
    hmm, i thought Ancestral Vision didnt have a converted mana cost, that's why i cannot flash it back with Dralnu, the Lich Lord

mana cost =/= converted mana cost
    Dralnu gives spells a flashback cost equal to the mana cost. The unpayable mana cost of Ancestral Visions cannot be paid.
    A mana cost is a cost you can (or cannot) pay to cast a spell, like 1U or 0.
    A converted mana cost is a number and every card has a converted mana cost.
    Like previous posters, you're confusing converted mana cost with mana cost. Dralnu, Lich Lord gives to the card in your graveyard a flashback cost equal to its mana cost. Ancestral Vision's mana cost is nonexistent, so if you target it with Dralnu, it will have a nonexistent flashback cost. Nonexistent costs can't be paid.
    DCI Lvl 1 Judge

Madness, My Sadness
    I Am My Own Savior
    -Iced Earth
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes