New Lifelink Rules

With the new rules for lifelink not using the stack when are state based effects check for a player having 0 life?

For example I'm at two life and I have enchanted my opponants Elvish Warrior with Spirit Link and he swings, do I die?
    Yes you die.

Spirit Link does not grant Lifelink. If it did, the controller of the creature would gain the life. It still has a triggered ability that must resolve before you gain life.
    MTG Coordinator: Core level
    MTG Rules Adviser/Advisor
    Comp Rules, FAQs, and DCI Rules

Quote from Condor
    Let me get one thing straight with you. When Condor and an official ruling disagree, 50% of the time the official ruling gets reversed later. The other 50% of the time, the rules get clarified/changed to make the ruling right when it really wasn't before.
    The damage would be dealt then you would gain life, spirit link states "WHEN enchanted creature deals damage, you gain that much life."

Thank You Theismisacrime @ Hero of the Planes Studio for this great sig!

Standard
    UBRTezzUBR

Commander
    RUGRiku of Two ReflectionsRUG

Quote from Macius
    Quote me here, visions will be a $20+ card at the end of October.
    Quote from MrSatan
    With the new rules for lifelink not using the stack when are state based effects check for a player having 0 life?
    At the same time they were before the rule change. As part of the game's preparation for a player to receive priority. That has not changed in the slightest.

What has changed is that Lifelink adds an additional result to the result(s) of damage dealing.

For example I'm at two life and I have enchanted my opponants Elvish Warrior with Spirit Link and he swings, do I die?
    Of course.

Spirit Link does not have, and never has had, Lifelink - in any form. It works the way it has done since April 1999. The Spirit Link triggers when the enchanted creature deals damage, then SBAs are checked, and you lose the game.

Lifelink is an ability of a creature, and gives the controller of the creature life. So even if the creature was enchanted by your Lifelink, you would still lose. Your opponent would gain life though. If you want to gain life from a creature with Lifelink, you have to control that creature.
    Last edited by Merestil Haye: 10/31/2009 10:32:18 AM
    Lapsed Rules Adviser.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes