Block and sacrifice

After reading the new rules (After M10), I saw that now, if you block and then you sacrifice the creature that blocked, in combat damage step the "blocked" creature doesn't find any creature that blocks it and the damage goes normally.

I wonder if this is true or if I misunderstood the rules thanks

Dice Roller1 D20 rolled
    1. 17
    <System> Player Lost
    Unless the attacker has trample, if it was blocked it will not deal damage. Nothing changed when it comes to a creature getting blocked.
    Quote from Galspanic
    Unless the attacker has trample, if it was blocked it will not deal damage. Nothing changed when it comes to a creature getting blocked.

So, does that mean that you can still block and the sacrifice your creature and you won't receive the damage?
    <System> Player Lost
    yes, you can still block and sacrifice just fine, and like before you won't take any damage unless the attacker had trample.
    MTG Rules Advisor as of 9/29/09
    Quote from Kroma
    Get some manners you ignorant jerks...
    Quote from Camper11
    yes, you can still block and sacrifice just fine, and like before you won't take any damage unless the attacker had trample.

If the attacked has trample, and you sacrifice the blocked creature, do you receive all the damage?
    <System> Player Lost
    Yes. This is a change from previous rules.

Quote from SwordSkill
    If the attacked has trample, and you sacrifice the blocked creature, do you receive all the damage?

Yes.

(What the M10 rules actually mean is that while you can still block a non-trampling creature AND sacrifice the blocker to still prevent the damage, you can't have the blocker deal damage to the attacking creature if you sacrifice it.)
    My music on YouTube
    Quote from SwordSkill

If you meant attacker and blocker, yes. The attacking creature needs to assign lethal damage to the blocking creatures before any damage can trample through to the player. If there's no blocking creature, no lethal damage needs to be assigned, and all the damage can go through.

(banner courtesy of PurpleD)
    Cards for Sale! EDH, Modern, Shocklands, Unlands!
    Quote from Harkius
    Or, you know, you could just let your name at the top represent you.

Harkius
    Quote from indomitablebug
    If there's no blocking creature, no lethal damage needs to be assigned, and all the damage can must go through.
    Fixed that for you.

If a Trampling creature is blocked but there are no actual creatures to absorb damage, the attacker is required to assign all damage to the defending player.
    Lapsed Rules Adviser.
    Quote from indomitablebug
    If you meant attacker and blocker, yes. The attacking creature needs to assign lethal damage to the blocking creatures before any damage can trample through to the player. If there's no blocking creature, no lethal damage needs to be assigned, and all the damage can go through.

Yeah.. With all these new rules I got a bit comfuzed.

For once I thought that if you block at the Blocker step, and then you sacrifice the creature (for some reason), at the Combat damage step, the attacking creature will not find any creature that is blocking it and will assign the combat damage normally.. what a joke..

Now I can still put my unsummon inside the deck, so when my 3/3 creature blocked a 5/3 creature, I can return it to my hand as I see the 5/3 creature die!!
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote from SwordSkill

Now I can still put my unsummon inside the deck, so when my 3/3 creature blocked a 5/3 creature, I can return it to my hand as I see the 5/3 creature die!!

No. The M10 rules did change this.

If you are attacked by a 5/3 and block with a 3/3 then, under the pre-M10 rules this would have worked. With damage on the stack, you could bounce the 3/3 back to your hand and kill the 5/3.

Damage no longer uses the stack, so these particular shenanigans are not possible. If you block the 5/3 with your 3/3 and bounce the 3/3, then (assuming the 5/3 doesn't have trample) the 5/3 is blocked, you will take no damage, and the 3/3 is back in your hand. If you do not unsummon, then both will die.
    Currently running in EDH:
    WUBRG: Karona - Chaos towards Divine Intervention ** WUBRG: Karona - God Tribal ** WB: Teysa - Angels, Wrath, and Return from GY ** UB: Szadek - Control and Mill ** RWU: Zedruu - Everyone Draws Cards ** BUG: Damia - Gorgon Voltron Ramp ** URG: Animar - ETB effects and Beatdown ** WUB: Sharuum - Lots of Artifacts UG: Edric - Tribal Rogues ** W: Odric - Tribal Soldiers ** B: Shirei - Shadowborn Apostle Deck ** RB: Tymaret - Kill all the things!
    Thanks for the explanation, I was hopping to hear something like that. Now I understand
    <System> Player Lost
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes