switching power and toughness

So I was thinking way too hard about the logic involved in switching a cratures P/T and got really confused. Does switching a creatures P/T create a replacement effect? Does it only switch a creatures base P/T without taking into account any buffs?

ex: I have a Crag Puca enchanted with Lightning Talons, if I activated it's ability would it become a 4/5 or a 7/2?
    Quote from King Pun
    I was going to equip my third sword of war and peace on one of my creatures but my opponent said that was illegal because my creature only has 2 arms.

Reckless Waif; It's the red Delver of Secrets.
    Quote from Necrosed
    Waif first. It's pretty much a red Delver of Secrets.

Quote from Vermy
    So I was thinking way too hard about the logic involved in switching a cratures P/T and got really confused. Does switching a creatures P/T create a replacement effect? Does it only switch a creatures base P/T without taking into account any buffs?

ex: I have a Crag Puca enchanted with Lightning Talons, if I activated it's ability would it become a 4/5 or a 7/2?

It's nothing close to a replacement effect, the outcome is simply governed by the layer system. The p/t-switching is applied in sublayer 6e, after all other p/t-altering effects have been applied. In your scenario the Crag Puca will be 4/5 when all's said and done.
    Level 2 Judge
    If you need to contact me, please visit my Helpdesk or send me a Private Message.
    When nothing remains, everything is equally possible. - One With Nothing
    That didn't make me any less confused but at least it answered my question Slant
    Quote from King Pun
    I was going to equip my third sword of war and peace on one of my creatures but my opponent said that was illegal because my creature only has 2 arms.

Reckless Waif; It's the red Delver of Secrets.
    Quote from Necrosed
    Waif first. It's pretty much a red Delver of Secrets.

if you switched the power/toughness first and then applied the lightning talons would it then be 7/2 until end of turn?

Quote from Waswat
    if you switched the power/toughness first and then applied the lightning talons would it then be 7/2 until end of turn?

No. Lightning Talons' P/T effect is always applied in layer 6d. P/T switching is always applied in layer 6e. Timestamps have no bearing on this.
    Level 2 Magic Judge

Please use card tags when you're asking a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel.
    The long and the short of it: The order of the activations doesn't matter.
    When several effects try to alter p/t, the effects are ordered in a layer system. Only if effects "happen" in the same sublayer, timestamps become important. Otherwise the effects are applied in layer order:
    6a - characteristic defining abilities (like the one on Goofy) are always applied first
    6b - The "catch-all" sub-layer. Anything that isn't mentioned explicitly in another sublayer is applied here. This includes effects like Giant Growth or Godhead of Awe's p/t-setting effect
    6c - Changes from counters
    6d - Changes from static abilities, like the one found on Glorious Anthem. (Lightning Talons is applied here.)
    6e - Effects that switch p/t

(There's more to the layer system, layer 6 is just the relevant one for p/t-changing effects.)
    Level 2 Judge
    If you need to contact me, please visit my Helpdesk or send me a Private Message.
    When nothing remains, everything is equally possible. - One With Nothing
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes