Ethersworn Canonist

I'm not sure how this works. When someone played it against me, they said the effect meant I couldn't play more than 1 non-artifact spell a turn.

Is this true? Does this card really stop your opponent from playing more than 1 non-artifact spell per turn?

I tried to make sense of it myself, but the wording is 'fuzzy' to me.

Ethersworn Canonist
    Each player who has played a nonartifact spell this turn can't play additional nonartifact spells.

What confuses me is the 'this turn' in the ability. It leads me to believe the effect is only active during the turn it is summoned.
    The person I was playing against believes the effect persists beyond the turn in which it is summoned -lasting as long as it is in play.

I'd appreciate some clarification Smile
    Fantasy RPG Class Test - Silver Hand

"OH GOD MY BRAIN IS EXPLOADING AT HOW BAD THE ART IS ON MY OWN CARD"

-A friend's first impression of Ancestral Recall

Quote from hawk1674
    "Why are you tapping your lands the wrong way?"

HUH?

He was explaining that you ALWAYS tap your lands to the left to show they have been used. He even taught his kids - Always to the left.

Quote from King Pun
    your friend should engrave "always to the left" on his epiTAPh

seriously, is your friend part of the gestapo?

10/10, I tapped.
    Actually, it applies to all turns (the turn it was summoned, and all turns after) as long as the Canonist is in play.
    If it was only for the turn it was Summoned, it would say "When _____ comes into play,"

It is a effect that is active every turn till she leaves the field.
    Quote from theanimeguy
    If it was only for the turn it was Summoned, it would say "When _____ comes into play,"

You can't prove that.

Ethersworn Canonist has a static ability. Static abilities describe rules or facts that are read and followed as applicable. To be applying a static ability is just to treat its text as true, barring cases of interaction of continuous effects.
    Implicitly, a static ability is "always". Unless a static ability had a duration term like "the turn ~this~ enters play" (which would be really weird), a static ability is possibly relevant at any time.

"This turn" in that ability, no matter what turn it is, always refers to this turn, a.k.a. the turn that it is now. The ability tells you to follow the rule it describes: Each player who has played a nonartifact spell this turn can't play (additional) nonartifact spells.
    Epic banner by Erasmus of æтђєг.
    Awesome avatar provided by Krashbot @ [Epic Graphics].

Thanks guys, that cleared things up Grin
    Fantasy RPG Class Test - Silver Hand

"OH GOD MY BRAIN IS EXPLOADING AT HOW BAD THE ART IS ON MY OWN CARD"

-A friend's first impression of Ancestral Recall

Quote from hawk1674
    "Why are you tapping your lands the wrong way?"

HUH?

He was explaining that you ALWAYS tap your lands to the left to show they have been used. He even taught his kids - Always to the left.

Quote from King Pun
    your friend should engrave "always to the left" on his epiTAPh

seriously, is your friend part of the gestapo?

10/10, I tapped.
    you could just look at the price of the card haha, if it would only for that turn, it would be another crappy 50cent rare.

but yea its all turns untill its not in play anymore.
    Is the effect retrospective? For example, if your opponent has played a non-artifact spell before you played the Canonist, will you effectively stop him from playing any more non-artifact spells during that turn?
    W Death & Taxes
    U Merfolk
    UGW Bant
    BGW Rock
    WUB Stoneblade
    RGW Zoo
    After it's in play, you ask yourself, have you played a non-artifact spell? If yes, goto(you cannot play non-artifacts spells)
    Level 1 Judge

Thanks to Zaph for the sweet sig banner
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes