Countering a planeswalker?

Hi guys,

it's probably a n00bish question, but I haven't found a clear stated answer anywhere, but can you counter a planeswalker with a counterspell? And as what type of spell is it countered? Rules state you can only play it while you can play a sorcery spell.. so should it be treated like a sorcery? So if there's a specific "Counter target sourcery" spell is out there could it counter a planeswalker or not?

i just got back from a 5 year hiatus and it's all new stuff so i just want to be 100% sure Smile

thanks.
    It's a Planeswalker, ergo it's a Planeswalker spell on the stack.

You can counter it with anything that counters 'a spell' or anything that counters a 'Planeswalker spell' (there is no such thing ATM).

'Playing it as a sorcery' is shorthand for 'in your Main Phase, when you have priority and the stack is empty'. Which goes for anything that's not an instant.
    DCI Level 2 Judge

It is well known that most people don’t listen. They use the time when someone else is speaking to think of what they’re going to say next.
    - Terry Pratchet, Pyramids
    As Hardtrack said, it can be countered with anything that says counter target spell (Counterspell, Rune Snag, Broken Ambitions, etc). An example of spell that can counter for example a Planeswalker like Sarkhan Vol are Negate (it's a non-creature spell) and Flashfreeze (it's a green or red spell, actually it's both!). Things that can't counter it: Envelop (it's not a sorcery), Annul (it's not an artifact or enchantment), or Remove Soul (it's not a creature). Hope that helps!
    Check out my sale/buy/trade list:
    *Mayreturn*

I have some EDH cards and rare Magic basic lands (APAC, EURO, ARENA, etc) so message me if you're looking.

Number of members banned after I posted a BTR: 7 Mad

Looking for honest buyers, sellers, and traders. Grin
    Great, thanks for the replies guys!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes