Comes into play abilities

Hi to all.
    I always have something to wonder about the rules of this game.I hope you can help me to work out my wonder.

I have 2 questions (for start):

1. When i play orzhov basilica can i play it if i have no lands in play?
    2. Or,can i play Aven Cloudchaser if there are no enchantments in play?

I'm waiting for an answer.
    1) You can play it, but it'll just bounce itself back to your hand.

2) Yes, it's a triggered ability, not an additional cost. The triggered ability will simply fail to find a target and be removed from the stack again.
    DCI Level 2 Judge

It is well known that most people don’t listen. They use the time when someone else is speaking to think of what they’re going to say next.
    - Terry Pratchet, Pyramids
    1. Yes, you can play it, but the ability will trigger when it comes into play...meaning that if the Basilica is the only land you control, you'll have to return the Basilica.

2. Yes. When the ability triggers, it will see that there aren't any enchantments in play and will simply leave the stack immediately and do nothing. You'll still get your bird, though.
    Last edited by Yare: 10/11/2007 5:25:30 PM
    Vintage Adept - TheManaDrain.com
    Magic Rules Advisor

Quote from Yare
    2. Yes. When the ability triggers, it will see that there aren't any enchantments in play and will simply fizzle immediately and do nothing. You'll still get your bird, though.

"Fizzle" is slang for "be countered on resolution because all of its targets are illegal." The Cloudchaser's ability won't fizzle, it'll be removed from the stack immediately after it gets there.

And a note to the OP: If there is a legal target, you must choose one, even if it's your own.
    MTG Rules Advisor

Autocard: [card]Ovinize[/card] = Ovinize
    Both cards writing :When comes into play do this.Why orzhov basilica must come back to my hand and Aven Cloudchaser stays in play?
    Because that's what the ability does... if it didn't have an ability that returned it to your hand, it would stay in play.
    Level 1 Judge

Hey, you! Yeah, you behind the computer screen! You're unconstitutional.

America == Velociraptor

Play IRC mafia. (/join #mafia)
    Yes, i understand.Thank you guys.
    Quote from geldwer
    Both cards writing :When comes into play do this.Why orzhov basilica must come back to my hand and Aven Cloudchaser stays in play?

Aven Cloudchaser wants to destroy an enchantment when it comes into play. If there are many enchantments in play, you pick one. If there is only one enchantment in play, you must pick that one (even if it is yours). If there aren't any enchantments in play, the ability doesn't happen. In all cases, the creature remains in play.

Orzhov Basilica's ability reads, "When Orzhov Basilica comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand." If you control many lands, you must return any one of them to your hand. If it is the only land you control, you must return Orzhov Basilica. It is the ability that is returning it to your hand, not anything in the rules.

Unless an ability says "may" in it, you have to do it - even if it is detrimental to you. If you can't do the ability, just think that it doesn't happen.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes