Best Proxy Maker

What do you think is the best proxy maker. Think of it as if you were making 60 proxies.
    A black Sharpie and a stack of basic land.

What exactly do you mean by "proxy maker?"

Why would you make a deck of 60 plus proxies the sharpie and basic lands works but make sure the people you are playing with are cool with it and you should buy the cards first. I don’t know anyone that likes playing these types of decks.

Scott Adams...
    Nothing defines humans better than their willingness to do irrational things in the pursuit of phenomenally unlikely payoffs. This is the principle behind lotteries, dating, and religion

You do it for testing decks that you don't want to spend $300 on before you know if it is good or not. I do that with all Legacy decks. Plus it allows me to test against a wide variety of decks. Sure some people don't like playing against proxies but if you are playtesting more often than not people are fine with it. Yeah a sharpie and 60 commons/basic lands works as well as printing out the cards in black and white and putting them in sleeves with a card behind it.

Modern:
    BRG Jund

Legacy:
    UGR Threshold
    Most people hate others who put the slips in front of their cards because of the difference in thickness. I've witnessed a demonstration of how to cheat with it, so I don't trust it unless I know the player. Sharpie+land is the easiest fair method, but you are aware of MWS and Apprentice for testing, right?

If you want to spend time, though, you can use solutions to bleach-erase parts of the card and put whatever you want there instead. Another idea is to take foil cards and peel off their front, leaving a plain white cardface. It's extremely thin, and with practice it all comes off in one piece, though there's a tendency towards silver striations being left behind.
    Last edited by Zith: 8/27/2007 1:54:38 PM
    [The Crafters] | [Johnnies United]

My anecdotal evidence disagrees with yours! EXPLAIN THAT!
    When I am playtesting a deck I just sharpie it up on basics. When I make proxies for Vintage tournaments I usually use acetone to erase a card then run it through my printer and print out a card with MSE.
    Quote from Zith
    Most people hate others who put the slips in front of their cards because of the difference in thickness. I've witnessed a demonstration of how to cheat with it, so I don't trust it unless I know the player. Sharpie+land is the easiest fair method, but you are aware of MWS and Apprentice for testing, right?

If you want to spend time, though, you can use solutions to bleach-erase parts of the card and put whatever you want there instead. Another idea is to take foil cards and peel off their front, leaving a plain white cardface. It's extremely thin, and with practice it all comes off in one piece, though there's a tendency towards silver striations being left behind.

I know that the paper is very easy to cheat with but if you are playtesting and they are cheating I think you need to find a new playtest partner. As for MWS and Apprentice I hate playing against random decks and the shuffler on there is terrible compared to playing by hand. As for erasing/acetone/sanding/bleaching cards why would you spend that much time on it unless it is for a Vintage Proxy tourney.

Modern:
    BRG Jund

Legacy:
    UGR Threshold
    Custom art, of course. Smile

Nah, I just forgot the 60-card part.
    [The Crafters] | [Johnnies United]

My anecdotal evidence disagrees with yours! EXPLAIN THAT!
    Quote from Destruction
    I know that the paper is very easy to cheat with but if you are playtesting and they are cheating I think you need to find a new playtest partner. As for MWS and Apprentice I hate playing against random decks and the shuffler on there is terrible compared to playing by hand. As for erasing/acetone/sanding/bleaching cards why would you spend that much time on it unless it is for a Vintage Proxy tourney.

you mean the shuffler is "gasp" Actually Random. really, you can't only semirandomize your deck, with pile shuffeling and land distancaing.

Millionaires, I hear it's good Music (Disclaimer: lyrics not PG-13) Thanks, CC
    Quote from Cyan
    I've said this before, but, I agree with Niv.
    MWS is a computer program, it's incapable of a truly "random" shuffle.

For testing I just print out the papers and put them in front of a card in a sleeve. For tournies I find a card with the same color, casting cost & card type, then acetone out & write in the rest.
    I usually go for printing out the card image and putting it onto another card. I always play them in sleeves, as the difference is much more obvious without. I do this when I'm considering buying new cards and want to make sure they're worth what I'll be spending, or if I have multiple decks that run an older card that I can't afford to run multiples of or don't want to beat up the original. I have an unlimited Mox Emerald that's pretty thrashed; it stays in a screw-down case and any time I build a deck that uses it I play a proxy.
    I definitely prefer printing out the card rather than using a Sharpie, because for me having a handful of real cards and one markered proxy is just visually jarring. It's a minor thing, I know, but for me it's just easier to look at.
    Last edited by Hardcore: 9/15/2009 7:48:02 PM
    There's one at the door, at the gate to damnation...
    Is it thief, thug or whore? There's one at the door...
    And there's room for one more till the end of creation.
    Neil Gaiman, Sandman #4 - A Hope in Hell

Quote from O_RenyRen
    Hardcore, you're my hero.

Quote from DerangedHermit
    You just figured out the deadly perils: STD's. Clap trap, anyone?

EDH:
    Thraximundar UBR
    The Sliver Hive WUBRG
    Intet, the Dreamer URG
    Phelddagrif GWU

Casual:
    U/W Augury
    WBRG Discard/Control
    Quote from D00msday
    MWS is a computer program, it's incapable of a truly "random" shuffle.

For testing I just print out the papers and put them in front of a card in a sleeve. For tournies I find a card with the same color, casting cost & card type, then acetone out & write in the rest.

By that token Human Players are incapable of a truly "Random" Shuffle.

When I played in middle, my friends and I would play with proxy decks all the time. We were kind of serious about it and would look up decks and strats online, but we were of course unable to afford cards on like 5 or 10 dollars a week allowance.

We printed them out from the school computer lab, used the school paper cutter to chop them up, sleeved them up and went for it.
    This isn't really the place to argue about it, but if you'd like to PM me I can explain how humans are perfectly capable of random shuffles and current computer programs are not.
    I've been making Acetone Proxys for years, and even the slinga {thought they were cool} seen a set from a guy I made for the Chicago event.
    I think mine are basic and sweet.

Example
    Taking a Dark Sphere Toning the name out {I have a framing method}, the card ability, and keeping the picture/flavor.

Adding via sharpie fine point {always BLACK} the name Mox Jet {killer hand writing}, the ability {simple}, and bam you have a zero drop with a cool picture that's a artifact.......
    you now have a Jet.

S.M.
    Trade Thread EDH Thread
    Legacy:
    Taxes then Death :symw::chaos:

Modern:
    Milk :symu::symw:
    Quote from Niv
    you mean the shuffler is "gasp" Actually Random. really, you can't only semirandomize your deck, with pile shuffeling and land distancaing.

That is soo true! I could never figure out why people would consistently play 3 remands per game, no matter how they shuffled and cut. But then later, I realized, that there are cheaty shuffling techniques which people can use to generally place their card. I've been playing for over a decade, and this truly seems to be 'the way' for most anyone that I've played against in states, regionals or even FNM who has consistent wins and virtually flawless land draws.

For those of us who ripple a few times, pile once or twice, perform odd cuts and block cards against one another - who are actually trying to make it random - face the same crap luck as we do with MWS shuffler.

Most people that I know, who play really well in person, ALWAYS complain about the shuffler.. wah. Now they get to play on my level, with out cheaty stacking techniques. Smile

.. okay that was more of a rant than quick response - but I love your retort!! Smile
    Quote from Zith

I find it's more the group and proxy-quality than any 'rule' against proxies. If a proxy is well made, can be easily read and distinguished, then most people that I've played with (across the US) are very cool and understanding with it. I find that people tend to dislike sharpie-proxies, as the full text isn't often present and it's difficult to readily discern.

It's not reasonable to always have to purchase every single-card you would like to play with if you are just testing out an idea or few. If a person wishes to play any sort of tournament structure, away from the kitchen table with close friends and cold ones, then sure - purchasing the real deal is a necessity.

~Patrick
    My real cards stay in boxes till tournament time when they come out to build decks. My playtest group does the same. Of course it's been a while since I played paper with any regularity. We print up 8-10 gauntlet decks and proxy everything but the basics. Saves me from having to find and beat up 15 copies of path to exile.

Edit: Just like the guy with the computer lab, cept it's my office laser printer. Mono. If someone wants to test a "non gauntlet deck" they normally print it at home w/ a laser.

Of course some of this might have come out of the fact that I don't shuffle gentle enough. You should see the warps in some of these lands after 1k+ riffles.
    Your Sig is Now Free to Move about the Forum.

My thoughts on: Going Infinite | Block Constructed | MTGCatalyst Blog Home
    Can someone explain this process fo using acetone to wipe out the card? Where do I buy the acetone? What is it exactly? And how do I position the printer to print on a blank card?

This is how I make mad money by doing what I already do, Shopping with Mr. Rebates. If you signup with my referral, send me an email and I will show you how to earn even more money.
    Print them yourself. It's easy:

1. Get your old unused commons or buy a bunch of bulk ones. (1000 commons for $8.99)
    2. Go to magiccards.info and save a picture of the cards of interest.
    3. Open GIMP 2 (free Photoshop editor), open a US letter sized sheet of paper.
    4. Place 9 copies of pictures in a 3x3 grid on the sheet. Scale each picture to 700 pixels wide (approx 2.333 inches).
    5. Print the paper using a color laser printer.
    6. Cut out the pictures, paste them on to your bulk common cards.

Voila! Awesome proxy!
    Microsoft Excel. Who needs the picture, it's just a waste of paper and ink. But in case you print the proxies, you have to proxy every card in your deck in order to make the sleeves equally thick.

Also, Basic Lands/bulk commons with same mana cost, card type (and loyality/PT) than the proxied card plus a black permanent marker is a good way to make proxies.
    www.magiccards.info has a great proxy maker. Just go to the card you want, look below it, and click "Print Proxies" with the number of those you want. That gives you an esily printed or copied picture that works great.
    I think best proxy maker is MagicProxy.
    This program is free and u dont need internet connection to make ur proxy, u only need card pics )
    u can download this program here:
    http://magicproxy.pvpbattle.net/

Also u can download some card pics.
    a computer that has internet and a printer Grin
    I've been using mtgproxy.com lately
    Quote from Chaosworm
    Microsoft Excel. Who needs the picture, it's just a waste of paper and ink. But in case you print the proxies, you have to proxy every card in your deck in order to make the sleeves equally thick.

Also, Basic Lands/bulk commons with same mana cost, card type (and loyality/PT) than the proxied card plus a black permanent marker is a good way to make proxies.

The thickness thing is BS. I've brought my proxies to 10+ big vintage proxy tournaments that allowed 10-15 proxies in the deck, and no one, not a single player, judge, TO, official, NO ONE was able to relaibly cut to a proxy, ever.

The best proxes are to go to staples or somehting with the real cards and use thier color photocopiers, cut them out, use a land as a backer, and sleeve it up.

Sharpies on basics are awful, since you are them relying on the player to tell you what the card does. Way to easy to cheat, simple things like playing a sorcery at instant speed or fudging the mana cost or effect to your advantage.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes